Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: BASC says donít pay medical fee

BASC says donít pay medical fee

Latest form BASC re medical fees here: https://basc.org.uk/blog/press-relea...y-medical-fee/
    David

I have never had to do this but surely if your GP demands a fee and you refuse and they in turn refuse to respond to the FLD without payment it will not be possible to process your application further?

Thanks for the clarification and keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    I have never had to do this but surely if your GP demands a fee and you refuse and they in turn refuse to respond to the FLD without payment it will not be possible to process your application further?
    It says,if there us no reply within 21 days it will be assumed there sre no problems,win win for doctor and patient

I should think that a lot of GPs who are already overburdened will be more than happy to let the 21 days pass quietly...

Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    It says,if there us no reply within 21 days it will be assumed there sre no problems,win win for doctor and patient
    It remains to be seen what Hampshire Police make of that one!

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    It remains to be seen what Hampshire Police make of that one!
    It's already happening within Hampshire

UKDTR
    Deer track and recovery
    Free of charge and confidential service

Here we go. I was just waiting for this issue to blow and to be honest, I am surprised that it has taken so long to happen. I am a GP and find the latest press release confusing at best and offensive at worst. BASC says that the BMA and GMC agreed to a "no fee" structure for an initial response. But, the BMA website sings an altogether different tune - https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/employ...-to-z/firearms

Firearms reports do not fall under the contract of a GP. It is therefore an extra job for the GP to do. If I had a choice, I would ask the police not to involve me in the process at all.
    "Under the guidance the general practitioner is required to check the applicant’s medical record and inform the licensing authority of any medical facts that may be relevant to the grant or renewal of a certificate." Does BASC consider this to be NHS work or do they feel that it involves no effort on part of the GP?
    So, what happens when there is a significant medical history to the applicant? The GP will have to furnish a full report on the applicant's present and past health. The statement that "A fee only becomes justified if the licensing authority require further medical involvement beyond the initial response." is rubbish. The police do not need any "further involvement" from the GP.
    BASC maintains that if a GP does not respond in 21 days, the police can assume that there is nothing wrong. I cannot see this in any of the guidance for medical professionals. It has always been a practice (at least in North Wales) for the police to send notification of a patient's grant or renewal of license with a wording of "if you have any concerns, please let us know". This did not involve an "official report". All the GPs would check the records to make sure there are no concerns and the matter ended there. The present situation is very different. The police contact the GP with "request" for a report and the BMA (British Medical Association) advises GPs to respond within 21 days.

And finally, this

"Paul Dale, BASC Firearms Officer said: “ After all the work that the representatives of all interests put into the agreement on medical involvement I am deeply disappointed that some doctors see the process as yet another chance to make money. Public safety should mean more to them than a fee.”

I would not dignify that statement with a response. Suffice to say, I will not be renewing by BASC membership this year. Rant over!!

SD Regular
    I disagree. It's outside their general practice duties and therefore, like countersigning a passport application, they are right to want to charge.

Having read the BMA guidelines I must take issue with no.5

"That the GP has a conscientious objection to gun ownership and no other GP in the practice is available or able to undertake the work. Please notify the police without delay."

To my mind it is very unprofessional for a GP to allow their personal opinions and prejudices to interfere with their professional judgement, to quote GMC Guidelines on Good Medical Practice

"Treat patients and colleagues fairly and without discrimination"