Scottish Game Fair

rover

Hi I am after a .223 preferably Tikka/Sako, Having never bought a rifle at a game fair. In your experience do they do good deals or are you better going to gun-shop retailer?
Thanks
Jim

Might be lucky but remember it costs retailers a lot of money to attend these show and they need to recoup costs - either via extra sale, publicity of "special show offers" (this does not necessarily mean cheaper!).

Still a good place to view and discuss and as I said you might just be fortunate.

The way i've seen it go the last few years is less bargain stalls and more high end. Used to go in and have great selection of gun stalls and second hand guns to have a look at but they are getting sparce unfortunately. Hopefully more this year but who knows. At least u can maybe get a good feel of a few guns in a short time to see what suits you. Then find it cheaper online!

Going to post own thread early next week aout our and Monarch's presecence at Scone.

We are going in RFD mode and will have rifles with us. Sadly we dont fit the GMK integrated customer exoerience interaction model - ie they wont trade with us, so no new Tikka or Sako. We will have Sauer ( no 223 on hand sorry ) and quite possibly models from A.N. Other distributor - just finalising; I will try to ensure there's a 223 in the mix just to mess with your head :D.

In general, very few firearms are sold at Fairs. The security headaches are major - though Police scotland positive ( there had to be one! ) is Scottish RFDs have an easier time notifying attendance at alternate locations. The wear and tear on stock is to be seen to be believed. All make it a bit unattractive. Overall it works - else everyone would stop going. But look at the retailers who no longer attend fairs - there's a reason.

The big plus at a fair is you have a mini High Street full of dealers. Bargains may not be there, but you get the opportunity to try a range of items - optics spring to mind, but rifles too. The days of a vast range are gone, but still a good selection and bigger than an average single shop. So utilise that.

Pricing - there never will be a complete answer. Everyone ( me too ) wants a good price. as a trader its soul destroying to spend time with someone ( still happy to do it - because it can be fun ) to have them stand back, do a google and say - well I can get a Harris Type Bipod from China for £6.99, you want £99 for your genuine one - what a rip off - or give it to us for a tenner cash and we'll say no more about it. None of that made up!

soul destroying to spend time with someone ( still happy to do it - because it can be fun ) to have them stand back, do a google and say - well I can get a Harris Type Bipod from China for £6.99, you want £99 for your genuine one

Not trying to start a stushie, but this is a bit of a bugbear of mine. I know Harris are supposedly the be-all and end-all as far as alloy bipods are concerned, but I just don't get it. I have cheap ones on all my rifles and have absolutely no complaints. Anyway, my point is, is it not worth your while to focus on the lower-cost bipods and get a higher turnover, or do you find that there really is a worthwhile demand for the Harris ones? For my part, I'd be quite happy to spend an extra tenner so as not to have to wait weeks for one to arrive from China, etc. Just asking, before I get my head bitten off by anyone :lol:

Woodsmoke - no issue/ stushie ( until I verify just how big you are and whether the rumour of you being chucked out of 2REP for being too violent is true :D ) And more fundamentally, it was an honest query politely raised. :tiphat:

Also advance apology to OP as this leads off at a tangent a little.

We each develop views in part as a result of experience. In the same breath, we each perceive events from different perspectives - so no surprise people derive different views. And no issue on my part with any of that. We can disagree - quite possibly from polar opposites, but I respect that.

Dealing with courses, instructing/ coach sporting rifle and the crucible of taking people out stalking, means we see a lot of gear. Always silly to stereo-type or take one example of something dogmatically so I try to avoid that - but as prejudiced as the next Joe really. But with several decades of combined experience this end, we've seen most ( by no means all tht exist ) bipod brands fail or prove awkward in use at some point. With Harris the only issues we've had are out of the bag when the odd one is a bit slack on the swivel. No failure ever.

That isnt to say they never fail or are fundamentally better than any other bipod, just our experience. A bit luddite - but if it works, there's little pressure to seek a better mousetrap. Your relayed experience sounds similar with the products you have - so entirely logical you hold a similar view, simply regards a different product.

Completely see there's an argument on price - but often that bipod is part of the system holding possibly £4000+ of shooting system on your shoulder. The price difference ( again from relative experience ) isn't worth the risk of failure. Just one view - genuinely appreciate yours.

In terms of trade. Effectively there is no volume firearms market in the UK. The amounts of items that will sell do not approach volume figures sufficient to make a survivable living. A good portion of the trade is made up of part-time resellers that support their interest/ hobby through trading, but rely on a main wage.

There isnt the volume of Harris buyers to make much economic sense either to be honest! But that isnt the main driver - and here risks sounding like flannel - but if we sell something, we have to believe in it. It may not be an item we'd personally choose, but based upon experience, we do have to feel it works and does its intended job. That item may be the lynch pin in a hunt of a lifetime - there's never any real life guarantees, but I sleep better sticking by a product I think is right.

Getting very convoluted - so quick sense check - trying to explain my view, not denigrating yours in any way.

And just to muddy it up - quality. Remember when Butler Creek Covers worked with out self destructing after 30 seconds? When Marlin lever actions had even rifling? A brand/ item isnt for life - sadly things can slip. So everything in context of ; its ok - for the moment.

Thanks for that. It makes perfect sense if you have expensive gear, right enough. I hadn't thought of it from that perspective :oops:

My outfits are all fairly cheap so it would really smart to pay almost as much for the bipod as I did for some of the optics, lol. Appreciate you taking the time to reply, and apologies to the OP for getting off-track. I'll shut up now, promise

Just to add (not connected to Moray but bought odd wee things off them in past) not all there stuff is the expensive 'branded' stuff but just sell quality stuff that works,
the Z-aim? rifles straps are the best 30 quid (or used to be about that) u'll ever spend, really comfy and there midges jackets were also cheap and have lasted me a while

Just come back on and was just about to say exactly what CB put! thank you - you likely did it a lot less long winded than I would have! :tiphat:

WS - not really about expense - really about what works/ quality. Trouble with trying to mention examples for that and you run into upsetting people for real n proper! So aint going there :D

Sadly you won't see a bargain at a game fair since the internet and pure online sales outlets shot the arse out of anything that can be posted.

Also I am appalled at the cost to exhibit at some of these fairs and the ever increasing ticket price
Organisers are losing the plot with some of their pricing and their poor business decisions (remember the CLA Game Fair that was cancelled and they decided to hold onto the exhibitors cash?!)

Service.
That's the difference between real shops and online ones. Getting you the stuff you can't source, advising you on the rest, package deals, part ex, etc etc

Hi Thanks for that. It looks like I would be better keeping entry fee £40 me & wife, petrol £20, food drinks £50, in my pocket and adding it to my total spend Mmmmm.
Jim

It is a good day out & there's a surprising amount to do for children too, if you have any. We had a great time a couple of years ago when I took a non-shooting family who loved it too.

I do struggle slightly with the concept of paying £40 plus everything else for the privilege of going shopping.

Service.
That's the difference between real shops and online ones. Getting you the stuff you can't source, advising you on the rest, package deals, part ex, etc etc

Absolutely with you on that. I'm always happy to pay that bit more to "buy local". If we don't support these shop where do you go if you have a problem. Bi-pods from China, shooting sticks from Tiawan, Clothing from goodness knows where. Nah, I need bullets - oh wait I have to drive 100 miles to find a seller.............

Jim,
If you're buying new, I've found Continental Shooting Supplies over in Dalry good to deal with.
They have .223 T3's in stock and aren't too far from you.

Jim,
If you're buying new, I've found Continental Shooting Supplies over in Dalry good to deal with.
They have .223 T3's in stock and aren't too far from you.
Hi sikasako I have been in touch with them. They definitely have the best new prices. Only 40 min from me. I am waiting on a reply for a used .223 hopefully over the weekend. If not I will likely go to Scone and have a look and feel of what they have. You never know I might change my mind and go for something else.
cheers
Jim

Back