Lynx Release Update

When will the cabbages accept there are no Lynx or Bears ,or Mammoths here for a reason ,its called evolution and common sense.The first rambler or sheep farmer attacked will be on Dr Moron,s watch.He needs to go to Colorado or somesuch and ask the farmer,s there what its like having your livestock slaughtered with no real protection as the enviroloons have had them Protected :-|

I wonder how long it will be before we are discussing what caliber of rifle is best for Lynx ?

Whatever the merits or otherwise of releasing Lynx shouldn't the re-establishment of our indigenous Wildcat - Felis silvestris silvestris take priority over this ?

Last edited:
I find it quite ironic that the chap who took the photo for the above article was/is heavily involved with Scottish Wildcat conservation and Paul O'Donaghue is heading up the Wildcat Haven organisation. Why the hell would two people who state they are passionate about the SWC and the effort to conserve our most critically endangered species........ Want to release an apex predator which will eventually come into direct contact and competition with the SWC. It is madness.

Well I have no doubt that any wild Lynx introduction will have an effect on our own Wild Cat population. A cat the size of a Lynx will make swift work of any Wild Cat within its range, along with any deer and of course domestic stock.

Is there not a massive fall out between the rival SWC 'factions' ?

Pretty sure wild cat haven are trying to encourage people into wild cat habitat an make money out of it, but really not good for the wildcats themselves.

It does seem very strange something that will compete for food and actually predate wild cats when so rare.

Is there not a massive fall out between the rival SWC 'factions' ?

Pretty sure wild cat haven are trying to encourage people into wild cat habitat an make money out of it, but really not good for the wildcats themselves.

It does seem very strange something that will compete for food and actually predate wild cats when so rare.

yes I believe so, based on what to do with the trapped ferals.....one camp say neuter and release, the other say shoot and release...

The neuter brigade have pretty poor argument for their policy but they are out and out cat lovers whatever label the moggy has.

Must admit not in favour of feral cats in general.
Althou there is an argument that if u nuetering and vaccinating and releasing the cats they are filing the void whereas if u culled them u would un nuetered and un vaccinated filing ther void. Natures hates a vacum. If u could shoot the lot then fair enough but don't think it's really possible

But u are right some are scared of the cat protection lot.

I take it wildcat haven shoot the ferals?
Sure i was at a talk by the more offical wildcat group and they had approval from cat protection league?

Interesting article. Apparently, the Lynx will:-

‘…. play a vital role in both promoting rural regeneration and forest regeneration.’

That gets my vote as Kielder looked a little short of trees when I drove through there this morning.

I saw what Lynx can do when a couple escaped and were at large for a while in a part of the South Midlands. Sheep and Roe suffered,fortunately one was trapped and the other got terminated by a keeper whilst feeding on a sheep. I saw one on a Roe carcass but it was a little far for my 12bore and took off as I tried to get closer with a couple of SG's hastily slipped in. That one got trapped.

Two got out from Sandown Zoo on the Isle of Wight many years ago, one got run over, the other I think got recaptured, apparently they had been feeding on Rabbits

yes I believe so, based on what to do with the trapped ferals.....one camp say neuter and release, the other say shoot and release...

The neuter brigade have pretty poor argument for their policy but they are out and out cat lovers whatever label the moggy has.

Its a bit deeper than that. The initial fracture between the Wildcat Haven people and the Wildcat Action Plan goes back way before the catch neuter release vs catch and p.t.s debate. It started with a falling out about genetics; in particular a genetic test.

There are two differing views on what is the best direction to take for the future prosperity of the SWC. I come from a zoo background with a passion for the conservation of our native species. My take on it is why would you release a neutered animal into a potential SWC territory so that the SWC cat has more competition ?

It was hoped that there was still a pool of genetically pure SWC living in the wild. So far this has not been the case, none have been found. To be fair the search and funding has only been concentrated on a small number of areas of Scotland. The SWCs living wild that have been genetically tested are not looking very good compared to the purity of the SWCs already in captivity.

My view is the way to save the SWC is via an intensive captive breeding program, for preference this would be from wild caught genetically pure SWCs, taken into captivity into specifically designed and built very large enclosures with minimal human interference. Breed from these cats and then take the kits which will have been captive born and house them in more suitable accommodation which aids in the breeding process. Build up a healthy breeding population and then start introducing them back to the wild. This is a very expensive and time consuming process. The reintroductions would take a massive amount of research.

The main stumbling block with this is in finding the genetically pure Wildcats. If there are none left do we start a breeding program based on for example cats that are 90% pure ? I am not from a science background and may well be corrected on this but by a process called back breeding I believe it is possible to create a pure wildcat from a 90%.

Small organisations like my own are doing as much as possible for wildcat conservation, 80% of our conservation budget is going on SWCs. Apparently there is no genetic difference between a central European Wildcat and a SWC. I have continually asked the question as to why we should not restock from Europe.

There are currently numerous law suits being threatened in regards the SWC conservation. Seems bloody stupid when egos (one in particular) get in the way of saving a critically endangered species.

Regards

I have continually asked the question as to why we should not restock from Europe.

That makes sense, presumably the SWCs that are currently at large contain exotic (African?) genes but don't get too hung up about introducing genetic material from the European mainland, this has already happened with other "native" species. e.g. Fox, Badger, Red Squirrel, Red deer, Roe deer etc.

That makes sense, presumably the SWCs that are currently at large contain exotic (African?) genes but don't get too hung up about introducing genetic material from the European mainland, this has already happened with other "native" species. e.g. Fox, Badger, Red Squirrel, Red deer, Roe deer etc.

As I said, I'm not from a science background..... The SWCs have been hybridised with feral/domestic cats. If it was possible to restock from mainland Europe the cats would have to be from remote areas and would need genetic testing for purity.

Some very informative posts, thanks NFWM. Maybe we are at the stage were we have to say that if it looks like a wildcat , behave like a wildcat and fits the ecological niche of a wildcat, then it is a wildcat, and put the genetic purity to one side?

Cheers for the info NFWM, i never realised the SWC was the same as the european.

I'm i right in saying that the captive bred WC's from around the 80's tend to be a far higher % pure bred, but all the 1's caught recently are far less well bred, meaning that in past 30 yrs a lot of damage has been done.

Mudman, I'd imagine its not that simple. If u think about breeding dogs and the massive varition in looks and behaviour u get in the litter yet all are genetically identical, unless u culled any that did not look or behave like a SWC. But gets very complicated.

Was the WC Haven not based more centrally in scotland just of the A9 at 1 point?
Reading between the lines i had the impression WC Haven was tring to make some ecologial disney land and really trying to encourage tourism and taking credit for other folks work.

Back