nissan xtrail

ruby tuesday

I know its been asked before but am considering an xtrail as a stalking /work vehicle as I'm led to believe the fuel economy is far better to the low twenties I'm currently getting from my ranger.I don't intend to spend a lot so should be up to a 2006 model, I understand they have a few turbo issues but what else to look out for,do they suffer the same rust problems similar aged narvanna.Is the expected mpg of 38 to the gallon achievable and with all terrain tyres how capable are they off road would also be used for towing the odd horsebox around as well.

I know its been asked before but am considering an xtrail as a stalking /work vehicle as I'm led to believe the fuel economy is far better to the low twenties I'm currently getting from my ranger.I don't intend to spend a lot so should be up to a 2006 model, I understand they have a few turbo issues but what else to look out for,do they suffer the same rust problems similar aged narvanna.Is the expected mpg of 38 to the gallon achievable and with all terrain tyres how capable are they off road would also be used for towing the odd horsebox around as well.
I think but amy not sure that they may suffer the same weak timing chain issues that the navara does

I had a 2010 model year X-Trail (actually a 2009 car) so I think it was a different engine to a 2006 one but averaged over a lot of miles on all terrain tyres including 20+ miles per week off road plus a very small amount of towing I was seeing something over 39mpg, on a long and easy run it could push to around 55mpg.

Off road then I found mine very capable but check on the selection of AT tyres to fit the wheel size of whatever you are getting - there are now Yoko ATS Geolanders and GG AT2s to fit the 17 inch wheels but you have to go up from the standard 215 to 225 - more recent ones came with 225s on the standard wheels anyhow with no changes. A 2006 might be on 16 inch rims. It doesn't have a low box which is a little bit of a pain in some situations but you just adapt to the tools available to you.

I found the X-Trail to be a great and very comfortable general purpose stalking/fishing vehicle that was also great for on road use and general "family" type things. I've replaced it with a new L200, mostly because the newer X-Trails are sod all use to anyone but for a few other reasons as well, and would say that the X-Trail was a better all purpose vehicle and so far the L200 hasn't managed to go anywhere that the X-Trail didn't go. The x-Trail actually has more ground clearance than the L200! The boot is huge and would take a fish box with a sika stag plus all my stalking stuff. With the back seats folded I could take all the stalking stuff, a deer in the fish box, a folding high seat and a pole saw with no problems, there was more room than in the L200 but clearly if you were shooting big reds it might be handy to have a separate load area for them. Also the boot lip is much lower with the X-Trail so it is a lot easier to get deer in and out if you are on your own.

I can't comment on reliability of a 2006 model as the engine is different to mine but the only faulty thing replaced on mine in nearly 7 years was a relay.

Hi i Have owned 2005 X-TRAIL from new that has covered 105,000 miles and i must say its been a very good car, three years ago i replaces the Duel mass flywheel for a solid one as i was towing a twin axle caravan and the DMF was struggling, now it can pull anything, the only problem i have had was due to driving offroad this caused the rear caliper to sieze due to mud build up but this can easily be overcome with a jet wash and copper clip on the retaining pins. the fuel consumption ranges from 26mpg when towing the van up to 46mph taking it steady on motorways, on average i would say 33mpg is normal, Offroad it performs well but it will only be as good as its tyres, the 16inch wheels are easier to find tyres for. I would have no hesitation in buying another X-trail.

Cheers Geoff

They are a bit of a brick, but have a nice roomy cab, more space than an LR. I think you will be lucky to get 38mpg. The DPFs on them are *******s, but I'm not sure if an '06 would have a DPF ?

Back