A good malt , any recommendations??

Lovatscout

I'm going to treat myself to a good bottle of malt after getting s good job I've been after,
i usually have balvenvie but fancy something different,
im not a massive fan of full bodied peaty malts , they cripple me with indigestion for some reason so does anyone have a recommendation ??
cheers

Or you could try a decent bottle of whiskey - Jameson's Redbreast 12 year old single pot still. Irish fabulousness.....

Glenkinchie worth a shout as to is auchentoshan. Both simalar to the ones you like. Also if you want to go off the wall look at the Japanese ones which are very good light whiskeys.

Malt liquor request under "Equipment and Accessories"? Gives the anti crowd another switch to redden our bottoms with.~Muir

Your usual choice of Balvenie is a very nice malt - what about Balvenie Doublewood for a change?? Someone also mentioned Bruichladdich. This is quite often talked about on Islay as 'the lady's whisky' - not because it's in any way girly, but because it's so very smooth :lol:. I understand that you are not a fan of the peaty ones, but nobody has talked about the way you drink it.....not 'doon yer neck' - we all know that one! But, do you take your malt with water, or ice, or nothing? As ever, it's always your choice, but whisky tastes quite a lot different with water added. Before you buy, try a big dram of Lagavulin - it's peaty, yes, but try it with plenty of cool water, no ice, and see if that works a bit better for you.

Talisker my favorite but doubt it would suit the OP. Highland Park is a nice compromise between a Speyside and and island malt

Myself and a friend tested as many single malts, and some other stuff, that we could get our hands on. Neither of us are much into the peaty stuff.

We concluded that it was hard to beat the "big names" for quality. Yes there are a lot of "different" offerings out there and it is impossible to define "better" but we thought that although many were different there was nothing that was consistently "better" than a Glenfiddich or Macallan. With Macallan there is a sort of standard and the more you pay the more of this you get, the more expensive offerings are great but it is worth considering just buying a few bottles of less expensive Macallan, you will get the same character and more of it for your money. With Glenfiddich then the 21 year old is hard to beat but it has become rather expensive. Up to a few years ago you could get it in the airports for somewhere between £40 - £50 but now I think it is £120 or more. It is still a good whisky and would also be worth consideration.

Tomatin 12 year old. Really smooth and you don't get a thick head in the morning.

Back