Taxidermy question

MJ75

Guys

I'm just curious but what would you expect to pay for a shoulder mounted Roe buck?

Cheers

My last shoulder mount was a CWD and done (very nicely) by Claire Fowler of Freedom Taxidermy and it cost £250. A roe might be a bit more?? One good point is that she usually has a few capes in the freezer if your is wrecked!

PHJLA

Guys

I'm just curious but what would you expect to pay for a shoulder mounted Roe buck?

Cheers

MJ

I have a roe buck in at the taxidermist at the moment, hopefully ready in a week or so. The cost is £360. I had a few quotes and I could have got it done at closer to the £300 mark if I'd gone somewhere else.

To me, more important than (or at least as important as) the price is finding a taxidermist who has an affinity with the animal you want stuffed. Whatever you're paying, you don't want to be looking at the end result and thinking "that doesn't look like the beast I shot", or worse "that doesn't look like a roe", so try to get to see the taxidermist's work beforehand if you can.

I saw Claire Fowler's work at the West Country Game Fair and she's good. I've also had work done before by Dave Hornbrook, who I'd rate very highly. The latter, in particular, has a real knack of capturing roe (and no, he's not doing my current roe, as I wanted someone closer to home).

willie_gunn

Another vote for Dave Hornbrooks roe. Very good taxidermist and straightforward to deal with. JC

Roe Head.jpg

Hi, Not the best of pics but taken by a mobile!

This is my Roe head I had done last year by David Hollingworth of penninetaxidermy.com

Cost me £250 at the time but I have a Sika Stag coming tomorrow that cost me £330.

He does fantastic work and a lovely chap as well.

I'm based down in hampshire and he collected the head from a mate of mine up in Kendal when passing.

His site has just gone live and is not on search engine's yet.. But you can still view from above url.

Robbo25

Hi Willie,

Thanks very much.. Yes I was chuffed to bit's and had it mounted as I'd not seen a head like it before.

The Sika mount should have turned up in the post today and Royal Mail didnt meet the 48hrs delivery promise :cry: so it wont be going on the wall tonight!

Have a look at David's new site and the three deer going over the fence!!! Amazing and the owner is one lucky bloke.

Fingers crossed for a delivery tomorrow morning.

Robbo25

I had an American pronghorn antilope done 15 years ago and that was then 300 bucks so prices appear to reflect the work involved.
Martin

I use a taxidermist in Lancashire near Preston called Steve Heyes, he's spot on, i've had many many things done by him probs about 20!! He is very reasonable.
if any one needs his number PM me.

Guys

Cheers

About £250-ish....

I'd recommend Andy Denson, based in Padiham up near Blackburn in Lancashire. He's done a roebuck for me - I'll post a pic when I get chance, and I've got him lined up to do 5 shoulder mounts from my trip to South Africa.

Mine is being done by paul taylor of dorset as he has done all of mine and is very good , i think about 350 for full shoulder mount will post pic when i get it back

As above, my roe buck is being done by paul taylor £380 in total,seen his work & it is very good
Andy

Back