Advice on a Go pro body cameras

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Looking for a bit of advice from people who may have used or own one.

Its my birthday coming up and my better half has asked me what I might like for a present and I have had a hankering for one of these cameras to record some of the stalks on deer. In particular this coming season in the highlands.

So do any of you guys have one or own one?

I need a waterproof camera.
Good picture quality.
Easy to operate (I am not in to technical stuff)
Where did you purchase yours from.
What kit did you buy to fix it to your person. (Don't really need one that fits on the chest as my binoculars will be in the way)
Is it easy to download onto a laptop
Cost
Make and model

Thanks any info would be welcome.

Go pro hero 4 black - it shoots in 4k, can't really get better quality images from something so compact.

Cost - talk to gopro directly - if you are a guide they can sometimes do a deal, however, I haven't heard of a guide getting a discount since the IPO in 2014.

Sportsman mount - you can clip it to the rifle

Remote and tripod - you might want to play around with different timings etc - especially if you are on your own. I would get used to the settings before adding this

Anti fog inserts

Headstrap

Comes with USB cable to load onto a laptop

There are loads of tutorials on the gopro website and youtube about getting started.

i have a go pro hero 4 black as well, bought it at airport. one button to push and it does the rest itself.

i have a wrist mount that i use as well as the headstrap(although i cannot bring myself to wear the headstrap:oops:).

Last edited:
I too have the GoPro Hero4 black. Really good quality product but no screen on the back of the camera so you just have to trust that it is recording. Waterproof case. Battery runs down pretty quickly with the camera recording in high quality mode and gets quite hot.
Excellent quality images but everything looks much further away than it does in real life! I've recorded some good roe stalking within 15-40yds looks fine, but on the hill you'll probably find it is not so good unless you are very close to the action!
I use the head strap mostly. I'm going to use it some more this winter for rough shooting.

I have found the Drift Ghost S best suited for my needs mounted to my msa supreme pro X earmuffs.

Remote control, 3.5hr battery life , 60fps @ 1080hd and the rotable lens are good.

Ive had a Go Pro hero 3 for a few years now.

Fantastic - with water proof casing i have video from my head mount at nearly 50m so no need to worry about the great British weather Malc a bit of rain wont hurt it.

With a head mount you can bluetooth start and stop video recording from a key fob in your pocket.

Any remote wilderness or adventure filming on TV in a lot of cases its from a go pro thats how great the quality is..

Downside if youve not got a modern computer processing and editing the videos taken can be real time consuming..

10 out of 10 from me a great bit of kit

couple of links below great fun...

Note how good the sound quality is even in the waterproof casing mate..

Last edited:
GoPro are great but only for close filming. I've had one a few years, The fish eye effect can be annoying. If you head mount it can make the film a little nauseaus. Very simple to use.

I don't like go pro mounting for hunting. I don't want to wear a helmet hunting and a chest mount means your hands are in the way. I've just bought a drift stealth which is very compact and would mount easy to earmuffs.

Got several Chilli Tech (Go Pro Clone) cameras - very good and easy to use - comes with a shoulder mount too if I remember correctly.....

I have an unused one in classifieds - significant difference in cost - but Go Pro is the market leader.

Drop me a PM and I can send one of my others down for you to have a play with - might help you make a decision.

Hi Malc in my expert opinion on this, forget humble because I have had loads of the blasted things being a klutz. The best way to go is via the clones of which their are many and offer far better value you for money. I was a long time subscriber to the GoPro model with the 3 and Black edition but honestly since I went over to the clones their is so little difference its not even worth the money. From the money you save you can load up on batteries because you will need a lot of them. Once the temp drops to around freezing they run out of juice in under an hour even on a warm day in high recording they don't last much more than 90 minutes which is fine if your happy to turn them off then on again.

I wear mine for driven shooting and sometimes its quite hard to make out the birds. As they have no zoom on them i don't really see you get that many good pictures from stalking with it unless you are going to have it looking down the optic.

Last edited:
I have a 3+silver and its almost always with me for something. I have a dog mount as well as some others and have filmed my border terrier stalking with me. That was fun video!

Have one somewhere, was disappointed in practice. Works ok for close range, anything past 30 yards becomes the infamous "dot picture". Mounting is everything, and so far I haven't found a gun mount I trust.

i have "great" footage of a snow goose hunt. We are allowed unplugged guns with mag extensions, and usually shoot 3" loads with some 3 1/2" towards the end of the mag well. I never got the mount to stay mounted past the 4th shot. Granted a 12ga 3" has a bit of recoil, I expected better of the mount. My footage is geese working, guns up, boom boom boom then you can hear continued booms as you see spiraling panoramic footage then mud.

the newer digital slr cameras have video capability and are only limited by the size of the SD card. I would probably lean more that direction for not much more money than a GoPro

I don't believe mounting the camera on a gun is the best for moving action. I believe its better on the head because you will engage the target long before the gun swings up and if you are reloading you can keep your camera on the target. IMO

I have used a GoPro with a head mount a few time on clays. Pretty disappointed with the results as the wide angle lens result in clays just being a tiny dot that is hardly visible.

The angle on a drift can be adjusted from 90 to over 130. Also has up to 10x digital zoom. It really takes a bit of use age to work out what is best for your needs. I use 1080 @ 60fps no zoom 120 something angle. For hunting up to 60 yards I find this is best. I would really like 120fps as when the target is moving 40 mph it can be blurry on slow motion.

Probably not the camera for distant small targets. Where they excel is close up action of you doing something. So for the wide angle shots of you battling with the Scotish hills or stalking through woodland all good. Not good on a gun shooting clays or any target as it's just to far away. You need to understand what the camera is about to get the best from it. Like most thing right tool for the right job.

Back