cleaning cases

ezzy6.5

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but,
today I bought an Ultrasonic cleaner from Maplin and a bottle of sea clean and i thought i'd give it a go on some 6.5 cases.

I have got a lyman tumbler and i've had 50 cases in it for 3 hours and they are pretty clean. i wanted to see if the ultrasonic really cleaned the primer pockets.

So. i put a 10% solution of sea clean in the bath with 30 cases and set it running for 3 mins. after that i checked them but they were still dirty so i gave them another 3 mins.
This time they were a lot cleaner so i rinsed them and gave them another 3 mins with just water then turned them out to dry on some kitchen roll.
Fair play to Maplin, the cases are damn near spotless inside and out with just a tiny bit of residue in the primer pocket. no little bits of media in the flash hole to pick out.
i'm deffinately going to be using the bath from now on.

Ezzy

Ezzy. I find the ultrasonic cleaner very handy. I clean the cases before sizing and after I finish trimming and champhering. I dry them in the airing cupboard on a case block that has got holes drilled in it. Rgds JCS

Last edited:
Ezzy
Can I ask which Ultra sonic cleaner you bought, there are three or four on their site. Been thinking of trying it myself.

Ken

I bought the 7000 model. it fits about 30 6.5 cases in it. if i'd known how good it was going to clean the cases i'd have bought a bigger one.
I bought mine through work so i get a discount but i'm sure it was about £40

Ezzy

I have just bought the same one, cost was £45 with a bottle of the Sea Clean.
Tried it on some 6 times fired .223 brass, came up like new, I'm impressed.

Neil. :)

I must admit, I tried an ultrasonic cleaner once and didn't really get on with it. The cleaner I used had a metal basket that sits in the bath and I put the brass into that. I ended up with marks on the cases where the basket was touching the cases. Then, after they were dry they were covered in water marks that would only come off after a good tumbling! I don't know whether it was because my water supply is quite hard or what? :confused: I was using water, detergent and some white vinegar.

What cleaning solutions are you guys using?

Alex

I use one teaspoon of citric acid crystals in warm water, the ultra sonic bath holds ten cases and run a cycle time of ten minutes, which Milligan as recommended, Bath from Aldi £15
I then wash them in hot water to remove any residue,
This works really well for me.

Smithy

Back