Loden Cape

EMcC

I have always been an admirer of the Loden Capes when seen being worn by German hunters but never, so far, had the b***s to get one to wear - until now.
I saw one on the Askari web site reduced to half price so fell for it and took the plunge.
When it arrived I tried it on and walked around the house and felt like a right plonker and thought well it doesn't do anything for me so chucked it in the boot of the car for that 'maybe one day' time.
That 'maybe one day' time came yesterday.
Between the showers I decided to take my dog out for a walk on the Plain and by the time I got there the showers had turned to 'stair-rods' and it really chucked it down.
As I was only wearing a showerproof fleece and there was nobody about to take the P, I decided to try my Cape :)
I tell you what, it was fantastic.
I walked out in the open and just stood there for a while in the pouring rain, my dog wondered what was up but wasn't bothered by the rain and carried on running around.
I was able to use my walking stick under the cape and it was long enough to keep my knees and the back of my legs dry.
The material isn't particularly thick but it kept the wind out and after three quarters of an hour the rain hadn't seeped through.
I think there is an Art in wearing such a thing as a cape because I kept 'losing' my arms !!
The idea is to swing your arms out and bring them round with the cape, once I got used to it, I found it brilliant, not quite brilliant enough to wear to town shopping but ideal for the countryside.
So from now on I may be known as the 'Caped Crusader' :D

Aye , I have heard about old buggers like you using your 'walking stick 'under your Cape on plains and commons !!!! Only kidding! I have also the same reservations about wearing in public , but they do tick all the box's for stalking , maybe one day !

It has lots of potential for other activities other than stalking ;) due to the room underneath :D
It is also handy as a nice wrap round blanket in a high seat.

Last edited:
I still see a lot of them being used usually as hand me downs from father jaeger have not seen one in a shop for years now.
Mine is a Yugoslavian army sentry jobbie and works well colour is in brown khaki with a button on hood.

Now if mine had a hood it would be the dogs danglies.
Just imagine, sat down, cape around you knees, hood up and pulled down to your eye line, collar up to your nose, brilliant, you'd look just like a pile of green foliage with eyes.

So from now on I may be known as the 'Caped Crusader'

Or...no offence meant and I hope none taken...the "Fritz...the Ambling Felt Foreskin of Amesbury".

I have to say EmcC you've got more "neck" than me. Now...a good gas cape...that's a whole different thing...

Any details on where you got it Eddie ?

I got mine from the Askari web site, although they are in Germany they have a UK contact No for any queries or for advice.
I have had quite a bit of stuff from them in the past and whenever I have had any problems and items need to go back, they arrange collection.

Or...no offence meant and I hope none taken...the "Fritz...the Ambling Felt Foreskin of Amesbury". I have to say EmcC you've got more "neck" than me. Now...a good gas cape...that's a whole different thing...

I might have some neck but not enough to go to Amesbury, Amesbury people eat babies and strangers, so I have heard :eek:
I met a guy once at Heathrow, we were all going on a driven boar trip and although he was one of our party he stood aside.
He was wearing all the kit, Loden cape, Loden trousers and the Woodsmen hat complete with boar hair tassle attached and surrounded by badges.
From his attire and reticence to join our conversation I assumed (wrongly) that he was German so approached him and welcomed him to our group in my best high German.
What a shock I got when he answered with a broad Yorkshire accent !!
The reason he kept himself to himself was that he was the only member of our group from the St Hubertus club and felt there might have been some resentment for some strange reason, there wasn't and we all got on together once the ice was broken.
It just goes to show tho, how people wrongly, judge others by their attire.
I shall probably wear mine more in the Winter when it's dark ;)

I'm very sorry Eddie but as there is no pictorial evidence it never happened,so you know what you gotta do mate............

Martin

I'm very sorry Eddie but as there is no pictorial evidence it never happened,so you know what you gotta do mate............

Martin

Ah Martin, I know what you are after ;)
Pictures of me in compromising positions so that you can put them on face book - or not, for a suitable remittance :D :eek:

Loden is over 1000 years old technology,from Germany, the wool is weaved so all the fibres face downwards, to a point when they get so wet they swell and become even more waterproof,sheep know this, naturally breathable ,and like this one a goretex type membrane just to make sure. I have two Sankt Hubertus Himalaya Loden jackets, bought a few years ago. They are the finest quality and styled jackets, with loads of outside and interior pockets, you just know a shooter designed them ,with a button fastened epaulette to stop your rifle sliding off your shoulder and a metal loop double stitched on the rear left to fasten your dog to! Lost count of the times I have been complimented on my sartorial elegance at a shoot, am even allowed to wear in town in the winter by the Missus! Practically they are warm, totally silent in use, no scratching against trees, etc. I wouldn't go as far as the whole trousers, hat, curly pipe thing but am totally sold on the jacket for general wear in cold to moderate weather.

Just rebrand it as a poncho instead of a cape & the digs at you will stop. I rather fancy one too, partly because I cannot buy anything off the shelf with an adequate arm length.

Ah Martin, I know what you are after ;)
Pictures of me in compromising positions so that you can put them on face book - or not, for a suitable remittance :D :eek:

Eddie you've got me all wrong mate,it was purely for personal use..............ooh er!

Back