Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summers Evening & Sussex Roe Buck

Summers Evening & Sussex Roe Buck

I had been trying to get hold of an old boy for most of the season now at home, I almost without fail would see him most nights when lamping but he would just not show during the light, I had pretty much let him go by now, just the usual would go out for foxes and hoped one day may catch up with him...

On Saturday night I shot a fox cub in one of his favoured fields at last night, to be greeted with the laughing barking of a Roe Buck moving off in the distance followed by the sight of his white arse heading off to the main woodland...

Anyway so tonight having had a good day and deciding that an evening in an high seat with a few peaceful conversations on the phone would be the perfect end to the day... After about an hour and several text conversations and a couple of phone calls, I suddenly noticed about 120 m's along the far tree line a branch was frantically moving up and down, I just felt right but no sign off a deer, minutes later he popped out however he would not present himself all i got was the occasional glimpse of his head above the bramble bush lining the wood...

Then he was gone for about 20 minutes so he had his feed and laid up... Light was fading so i gave him a BARK well attempted, and he stood up, almost as planned a few steps out and broadside he was... squeeze, thump, jump and run...

Perfect so back to the house for Camera and Springer he don't get to see many deer so thought I would let him have a go at finding this one, which he did not that he really cared was more interested as to what it was me thinks than knowing he did the right thing...

Having found and gralloched him whilst being attacked by midges and mosquitos back to the yard on the quad and the job was done a very pleasant satisfying end to a good day!!!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

Well done on the write up, he is certainly a nice buck. Just goes to show how patience is a virtue

Amazing how antler conformation changes in different parts of the country - lovely straight beams on that beast of yours.

O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

well done alex, his time had finally come, they are handsome looking deer the roe bucks, hes a cracker mate

Very nice fella that, well done Alex.

Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Nice one mate.
    As Dom said it's amazing how much the heads vary in different parts of the country.

Thanks again guys...

I am lucky enough to have stalked Roe in the South East, South West and Scotland, I must say the wide look from the Dorset heads is my favourite, one of my first Bucks which although just missed out on Bronze was such a magnificent looking head with long front tines some 4 - 5 inches long and a tall wide head... However the South East Bucks with their very tall straight look and often very symmetrical are magnificent and as far as Scotland goes who knows what you may bump into in some of those vast forestry blocks with adds to the stalking...

Excellent write up. One deers fait is another mans wait.

Well done, lovely beast!

Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Well done again and another brilliant write up with great pics.

You do have good camera skills and I can tell you have taken alot of time to get the correct composure etc etc - it makes all the difference in my opinion and it is worth while as when you can no longer stalk (as in age) you will have some great images and memories to look back on.

Keep these write ups coming.