.17 wsm

ciaran

Well lads anybody got one of the 17wsm? Interested in one but have yet to hear any reports on them

As yet I think there are almost no rifles and no ammunition here. It'll be interesting to see how cartridge prices compare with 17HH, but I see the 17WSM being a rather tight fit between it and the 17HMR.

Saw a new Savage B Mag in 17WSM on the Cheshire Gun Room stand at the Scottish Game Fair yesterday - don't know if they have any ammunition though.
The Savage doesn't get many good reviews, but Ruger now have a Model 77 rifle chambered for 17WSM that might well be a better bet - but it is expensive - around 900 dollars, in the USA, so if they ever get here, they'll be about a grand

Cheers

Bruce

A gun dealer over here has them, both guns and ammo, rounds are £18 per 50

OK, so about half the price of .17HH for just over 17.5% less velocity. That's more attractive than I thought, provided real-world performance matches the the quoted figure and accuracy is good enough to do justice to the potential range offered by the flat trajectory.

OK, so about half the price of .17HH for just over 17.5% less velocity. That's more attractive than I thought, provided real-world performance matches the the quoted figure and accuracy is good enough to do justice to the potential range offered by the flat trajectory.
But then you are stuck with the lot-to-lot variances in ammunition that again, comes from one maker. I don't know if they have improved the ammo since it's debut (usually it's quite the opposite)but a sneak peek at the chrono data strip at the SHOT Show when they were letting people shoot this showed a 300+ fps extreme spread and velocities that were far short of the 3000 fps they promised. In reality, the gain was about 100 fps over the HMR.

You shouldn't have a problem getting ammo though. Few people in the US are buying it so there should be plenty to export.~Muir

I want to see a .22 cal version. It would be capable of close range foxing, plus we could have it in semi auto.

I don't know if we'll have the choice but Winchester and Federal do 17 WSM loads as well as Hornady. Of course if none of it is fast enough or accurate enough or consistent enough then that's too bad. In any case, though I'm interested in new cartridges, I won't be buying a 17 WSM as my 17 RFB already has all the boxes I need ticked in that calibre.

Can't imagine you re getting the best exchange rate at the moment. They cost 1500AUD here in Aussie for the ruger 77 and ammo is 60-70c. Not that I would buy a ruger :)

I don't know if we'll have the choice but Winchester and Federal do 17 WSM loads as well as Hornady. Of course if none of it is fast enough or accurate enough or consistent enough then that's too bad. In any case, though I'm interested in new cartridges, I won't be buying a 17 WSM as my 17 RFB already has all the boxes I need ticked in that calibre.
Winchester had some profound difficulties with brass production at the start. I heard that CCI/Federal/Hornady was making ammo but that might have changed. I don't pay a lot of attendion to the 17WSM.~Muir

My local dealer has them coming in. Currently at proof. mixed reports from us (bmag) but I am tempted.
Don't. You won't be happy with it. Feels like a toy, rough as a cob. Crappy trigger. All it has going for it is a very strong action to handle the added pressure of the 17WSM. I had once considered buying one for the expressed purpose rebarreling it to 5mm Remington Magnum. When I handled the rifle I changed my mind.~Muir

Back