medication and guns

Si

A bloke I know had his SGC revoked yesterday due to his medication.... the FEO went round to his house acting on a tip off from the GP saying that his meds advise him to refrain from operating machinery. Although he also has a 1000cc motorbike but they haven't taken his driving licence :confused:

He now has 30 days to appeal :(

On the face of it that is outrageous, unless the underlying condition is affecting his mental health in some way? Has he sought legal advice?

Alex

No mental health problems although he was prescribed some anti-depressants 10yrs ago.... the medication is for pain relief (the strongest you can get). He's absolutely devastated at the moment, he lives for pigeon shooting :(

While I hesitate to comment, not knowing the medication involved or the person, I think this is a lesson for all of us on medication. I have spinal problems, 4 operations so far, and should be having a stent fitted in my heart this morniong but the monitors broke and we all got sent home. As you can imagine i take a few tablets! But being a member of BASC, I sent their letter (available on their site) to my GP which explains what the police can and cannot ask for regarding my fitness to hold a FAC and shotgun certificate. It is something we all should do. Good old BASC, saves the day again!!! What would the detractors say, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmh??

ft

A bloke I know had his SGC revoked yesterday due to his medication.... the FEO went round to his house acting on a tip off from the GP saying that his meds advise him to refrain from operating machinery. Although he also has a 1000cc motorbike but they haven't taken his driving licence :confused:

He now has 30 days to appeal :(

I'm a little hesiatant to comment too, not knowing all of the facts etc. But is the revocaton permanent or just while he's on pain killers? And how did his GP know he owned a weapon?

I don't want to divulge too much about this persons medical history for obvious reasons but I can say that when the pain is really bad he get's prescribed morphine.... obviously while he's taking it he doesn't feel like going out decoying or riding his bike for that matter. The ludicrous part of the story is that his wife shoots too and they share a cabinet, he's been told to give her his set of keys. (yeh right!!!) He is a BASC member and will be on the phone to them for advice today. The 30 days is for him to present a case as to why he should be allowed to keep his SGC.
The reason for this thread was more of a heads up than a debate starter, just to let anyone who's on medication know what to expect.

Theres something that your mate is not telling you .

Doctors have a patient confidentiality for them to contact the police on such matters there has been something said, with regard to your mates condition , it could also be someone in his family that has approached the GP with reference to his well being.

IE along the line of the pain is to much that he could get the gun out the cupboard and shoot myself is all it would take .

This could have been said out of context who knows, it could be something totally different . its no good you surmising what was said ,he should go to the GP and find out what the script is, taking a witness to the fact with him ,if the drugs he is taking are of such a nature that he cannot work machinery or he cannot drive there are in some cases ,where the GP is driven by a care and duty to others, must contact the appropriate authorities for the removal of driving licenses and certificates for a period of time agreed by him and his patient, unless there is a mental health issue .

Ive been there having had Cancer twice ,the second time was extremely close to the box I put all the weapons in to my fathers cabinets in case the light had gone out, then my wife wouldn't have had any further problems , i contacted the police at that time they didn't see the need for that to happen but could see the reason behind it.

He's going to the GP today for a copy of the letter to the FEO.

Update on my last post... he's a CA member, BASC membership has expired.

i haven't been there!! the doctors i mean in quite some time!! and i don't intend too the way things are going,everyone is nervous!! i think now you will have doctors trying to cover their backs,gun owner!! report him and cut liability!!

Sounds a bit strong. My wife was sectioned under the mental health act. Police were called several times. All I got a routine visit form a very nice firearms Lady who just asked if she had any access to my guns. I gave the answer" I would nt dare sleep at night if she did!!" and that was the end of the matter.
However saying that she did call the Police on me once when I lived in North Yorkshire and the firearms officer( ex copper who thought he was still a copper) their took a completely diffirent attitude I had to get BDS invovled who gave me some sound advice.

I have had a look for the link on the BASC site and can't find it. Here instead is a copy of my letter that i was advised to send to my doctor.

Dear Doctor
I am in the process of applying for the grant of my firearm certificate and it is now a requirement that I give the police the name and address of my doctor. It is possible that the police may contact you and ask you to provide factual details of my medical history. The Home Office has advised that that is all they may ask and that is all they have my signed authority for. They may under no circumstances have access to my medical records nor are they to ask you for an opinion on my suitability to possess firearms.
The Home Office has also said that the police should only need to contact doctors where there are genuine concerns about an applicant's health and that, if there is a charge for supplying the information, it must be paid for by the police. Any request to you from the police will inevitably concern confidential, privileged and personal information. I would therefore be most grateful if you would copy to me any report that you make to the police and also keep me informed of the details of any other contact you have with them concerning my application.

Yours sincerely,

Obviously, this can be sent at any time to your GP if suitably ammended. If you find yourself prescribed medication, a letter like the one above pointing out the responsibilities of the GP to you as their patient, and the limit of the police powers, will make you somewhat safer. Not neccessarily on application either, edit the format to suit yourself.

Atb, ft

Edit; There might well be a breach of patient confidentiality in the original post. I should consult a solicitor ASAP.

Last edited:
Back