Variable power FAC air rifle

blueeyes

Guys just put in for one need one I can vary the power for different situations etc whats your recommendations on what to get, had plenty of springers in my youth but not clued up on the PCP thanks.

The Air Arms FAC Extra one is adjustable...S510.

My 14 year old Air Arms S410 FAC Extra isn't, but the later ones were I think.

Alan

Air Arms all the way - I would give Daystate a wide berth if I were you - nothing but trouble by all accounts I've heard - even to the point of my local RFD ceasing to supply them.

Thanks for the replies guys whats the problems with the daystates or are they too many to list lol , can either of them be adjusted in the field tks.

Thanks for the replies guys whats the problems with the daystates or are they too many to list lol , can either of them be adjusted in the field tks.

Daystate issues are (anecdotally) magazine feed issues, accuracy and leaking air (seals) - trust me, I would have them otherwise as I'm a serial air gun collector!

AA can be adjusted in the field but you'll need to do some testing first for POI changes - it may also be that you'll need to change pellet to suit the power setting :thumb:

I thought the rapid series were adjustable. Would agree go Air Arms, old daystates were brilliant lots of issues with newer models have heard that several shops now refuse to deal with Daystate. Current prices are beyond belief.

D

Daystate issues are (anecdotally) magazine feed issues, accuracy and leaking air (seals) - trust me, I would have them otherwise as I'm a serial air gun collector!

AA can be adjusted in the field but you'll need to do some testing first for POI changes - it may also be that you'll need to change pellet to suit the power setting :thumb:

My limited experience of three rifles...all around 15 or 16 years old...brother in law's AA S410 carbine 12ft lbs would not hold a charge from new and needed to go back to have its seals sorted....been fine ever since.

My 12ft lb Daystar single shot XLR Extra Light Rifle (just 4lbs lovely little gun) and my FAC extra AA S410 have never put a foot wrong.

Maybe one should start another thread, but has anybody any experience of using an aftermarket regulator in a PCP?

Contrary to the OP's wish to vary the power I would rather have it more consistent. My S410 does about 30 shots to a charge. The first 10 are low, the middle ten spot on, and the third lot of ten shots are slightly high.

Alan

Have you considered a Weihrauch HW100? I used to have one in sub-12ft/lbs and it would shoot through the same 5p sized hole time after time. I know that these can be uprated but one has to take out the action to do so, so it may not suit your needs.
The HW100 was a cracking gun to use and in some respects I wish I still had mine. However, I sold it and used the money to buy a S/H Sako75 25-06, so it's not the end of the world.

one of the FX rifles most have 3 power settings

Yes. FX are your best bet. Several models have power adjusters, but if money is no object and you want the ultimate in adjustability then take a look at the new Impact.

I don't think there's much point having variable power on a sub-12FPE gun but it is useful to be able to drop the power on an FAC-rated one.

I shoot an FAC Daystate Mk4 which gives me a choice of 2 power levels: 14 FPE and 28 FPE. I mostly use the gun on the lower setting, shifting up to the higher setting only when more reach is needed. I have a dedicated magazine for the 18-grain Air Arms pellets that the higher setting loves and keep ballistic data for both settings in Strelok.

Re. Daystate build quality. I think they went through a bad patch a few years ago, but I've not heard of any problems since their move to Eccleshall.

Have you considered a Weihrauch HW100? I used to have one in sub-12ft/lbs and it would shoot through the same 5p sized hole time after time. I know that these can be uprated but one has to take out the action to do so, so it may not suit your needs.
The HW100 was a cracking gun to use and in some respects I wish I still had mine. However, I sold it and used the money to buy a S/H Sako75 25-06, so it's not the end of the world.

FAC HW100's have different twist rates to the 12ft/lb ones to stabilise the pellet at the higher power so fiddling with them wouldn't be a good idea.

Love mine though - as said above, 1/2" hole on hole @ 50yds and a good 50 regulated shots

Guys just put in for one need one I can vary the power for different situations etc whats your recommendations on what to get, had plenty of springers in my youth but not clued up on the PCP thanks.

Just a thought?
Surely you would need to know the drop for each of the power levels, a bit of a nightmare practically speaking?

I use my AA Xtra at full power knowing the exact drops with the I/2 mil dot scope out to 70 yds. The power reduction scale does not currently have detents to give a positive positions, future models may well have?
As the backstop is of primary importance, maybe what's good for 12 ftlb is good for 30ftlb?

From a practical point of view it's difficult to factor in drop calculations as this also alters as the reservoir pressure drops, unless it's a regulated set up?

And of course the other consideration should be availability of repair local to you?

My repairer the Air Gun Doctor said Air Arms so that was my choice.

Have had an AA 510 extra FAC in 22 for 3 years now, AA 18gn pellets with the power set to three quarters of full power, will kill rabbits spot on at 45 yards, longest shot was a ranged 85 yds with two mill dots of holdover. It obviously wont replace a 22 rimmy, but it does have a use for taking rabbits where a 22 rimmy would be unacceptable. Lots of guy use 12ft/lds 177 and 22 for rabbits, the FAC gives you more knockdown. I'm trying some Prometheus 22 pellets called defiant, from Pax, they really give off a crack when they hit a rabbit. They come in 16 and 18 gns, I use my 17HMR for longer shots, very accurate but noisy. deerwarden

Have had an AA 510 extra FAC in 22 for 3 years now, AA 18gn pellets with the power set to three quarters of full power, will kill rabbits spot on at 45 yards, longest shot was a ranged 85 yds with two mill dots of holdover. It obviously wont replace a 22 rimmy, but it does have a use for taking rabbits where a 22 rimmy would be unacceptable. Lots of guy use 12ft/lds 177 and 22 for rabbits, the FAC gives you more knockdown. I'm trying some Prometheus 22 pellets called defiant, from Pax, they really give off a crack when they hit a rabbit. They come in 16 and 18 gns, I use my 17HMR for longer shots, very accurate but noisy. deerwarden

Try H&N Sniper Magnums, superb!

Hi old man, believe it these are the same pellet just rebadged, mine came from slug-gun on e-bay in a cardboard box badged as the "Defiant OGIVE"", I bought the 16gn and 18gn to try. Get a flatter trajectory with the 16gn, so using them at present. You can certainly hear the pellet strike on arrival. It seems the H&N bought them out last year. deerwarden

Back