Ruger no.1

bambislayer

I have a Ruger no.1 in 243, anyone else use one, I know a couple of folk with them, but never hear them mentioned on here.

I like them, I've also had them in 220swift & 22-250.

I have always admired the compact looks of the No 1, hows it group and whats the trigger like if you don't mind me asking?

I had a No1 in .270 for about 4 years. it would shoot 3/4" groups but you do have to be carefull what you rest on as it will change the POI (well mine did anyway)
I thought it was a lovely rifle and balanced really well. the factory trigger was heavy but i bought a Wolf spring from the states and had a guy called Andy Dyke sort the sears. after that it was a joy to use. i would still have it now if i hadn't seen a left handed 6.5 for sale.

Ezzy

I have always admired the compact looks of the No 1, hows it group and whats the trigger like if you don't mind me asking?

Group?????? eh , you can break clay doo's at a 100yrds easily enough, and rabbits/crows out in the middle of a field ok.

The trigger is fine, I had Callum Ferguson play with it when it was new, before I ever fired a shot out of it [about 1 - 1 1/2lbs].

A friend uses one, and he has one for sale I am contemplating. I was going to try and buy a CZ 550 in 7x64 but am tempted by a "Gentleman's Gun".

ft

when I first took over the job im in now the estate rifle was a Ruger (i think it was a No1) in .270 guise

It kicked like a f***ing HORSE!!

I think I used less than a box in it before it got traded in.

A friend uses one, and he has one for sale I am contemplating. I was going to try and buy a CZ 550 in 7x64 but am tempted by a "Gentleman's Gun".

ft

In that case order it in a gentleman's calibre. Get in touch with Viking Arms and they'll get you one chambered in 303 British.
I was sorely tempted myself, but no matter how many times I tell myself I can afford it, I know I'm lying:(

I have been using a Ruger No 1 in 25/06 for the last 5 years, only ammunition used has been Federal Powershok 117 grain soft points, suits me just fine, over the moon i didn't need to experiment with different ammo......can group just under an inch.......ok its a heavy beast with T8 on a heavy barrel but nothing to worry about. I like the fact ive got to make that first shot count, haven't felt the need to stretch the barrel so all good..........i know these rifles get grief over their trigger and forearm hanger but there's plenty of good info on the net as to how to sort these wee issues........if you like a rifle that points like a good shotgun look no further.........Cheers !

In that case order it in a gentleman's calibre. Get in touch with Viking Arms and they'll get you one chambered in 303 British.
I was sorely tempted myself, but no matter how many times I tell myself I can afford it, I know I'm lying:(

HM, I had been thinking about, or tempted by, a 7x57 (.275 Rigby). As used by several victorian/edwardian "Gentlemen" of note. But I can't afford new, this is a second gun. My main squeeze (6.5x55) will do the brunt of what I want, but I do want another slightly larger calibre that will cope with boar too. Hence thinking about the 7x64 CZ, which is more in my price range:(

ft

ft

Gentleman's Gun? I'm sure somewhere you said you played as a Forward !

WG

HM, I had been thinking about, or tempted by, a 7x57 (.275 Rigby). As used by several victorian/edwardian "Gentlemen" of note. But I can't afford new, this is a second gun. My main squeeze (6.5x55) will do the brunt of what I want, but I do want another slightly larger calibre that will cope with boar too. Hence thinking about the 7x64 CZ, which is more in my price range:(

ft

I have been contemplating another rifle for quite a while and have looked at a few of the new kids on the block 6.5 x 55 [I know not new , but it is in popularity] and have read with interest many differing views on here:D, I must admit if I were to get an all round stalking rifle [stalking not culling] I'd probably get a ruger no.1 in 7x57, which will do everything you need in Europe[apart from France]. I would probably stick a Swav z6 2.5 - 15 x 44 on it[my mate just bought one from Macleods and it is the dogs bits]

I used to use a No1 in .22-250 Rem quite a bit. It was very accurate and I never felt handicapped by the fact that it was a single shot. Alot of southpaws like them as they are ambidextrous (God knows how you are supposed to spell that!)

As for the .275/7x57, well mine is 100 years old next year and still works perfectly well for wild stalking, can't say much fairer than that. Oddly enough, it hasn't been re-barreled, re-stocked, re-triggered etc because it was built properly in the first place!
JC

Last edited:
Gentleman's Gun? I'm sure somewhere you said you played as a Forward !

WG

WG, remember....... Rugby is a Hooligan's game, played by gentlemen. Unlike soccer which is a gentleman's game, played by hooligans ;) I take it you played with the girls, in the backs?

It's true for me I'm afraid, my heroes are Phill Blakeway, Graham Price, Fran Cotton, Robert Paparemborde, Phill Orr, Williams, Cholet, Stevens, Faulkner, McLauchlan, Woodman, Hayman, Woodcock et al :D I am a recidivist front row forward, by build, inclination and nature. A donkey through and through, forged in the front row.

ft

Last edited:
I must admit if I were to get an all round stalking rifle [stalking not culling] I'd probably get a ruger no.1 in 7x57, which will do everything you need in Europe[apart from France].

I'me sort of going down that route by keeping my eyes open for a single shot (possibly break action) rifle but in 6.5x57 or 57R to get around the military calibre restriction.

If nothing shows up secondhand or at auction and I have the funds available then I might just spring for a Blaser K95 Stutzen.

View attachment 1479
BTW. theres a Ruger No1 7x57 coming up in the next Holts main auction:

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.co...alelot=A1042+++1159+&refno=+++38265&saletype=

Looks good with an estimate of £250 - £350

View attachment 1480

Last edited:

ft

Single Barrel....BOAR,.... Now I know you were a forward !

I can think of a number of "gentleman's cartridges" but I wouldn't necessarily include 275 Rigby!

Maybe 6.5 x 54MS and possibly 240 Apex. Definitely not 244 H & H Magnum! Maybe the 280 Ross and 275 H & H? Anything by Jeffrey and Gibbs certainly but definitely nothing by Westley Richards!

I'm having a look at a Ruger No1 in .275 next week - £500 s/h with a Nikko scope. Sounds like its in good condition, but the scope will probably need upgrading. Should be a nice rifle for woodland stalking, but it will be another secret to keep from the wife!

Used to have a No1B in 300 win mag but it went to make a trade. it was a very nice rifle and I don't even have a photo of it.............................

Back