Accomodation in Edinborough

The Singing Stalker

As title says, I am looking for accomodation in Edinburgh for a long weekend in October. I'm taking the old fella there as a birthday treat as he likes the architecture and wants to see Holyrood palace etc etc.

Any recommendations as places to stay that don't cost the earth and either within easy walking distance of the above or within easy travel of it.

the closer I can get to the centre the better I guess because he will be up early in the morning for a walkabout and have discovered everything before I even get my ass out of bed for breakfast. He doesn't drink so a place with beer is not obligatory. Although I wouldn't say no myself. :D

And if you have any suggestions of what to see when we are up there. I will have a car so needs to be a place with parking. I looked up some reasonable hotels but parking didn't seem to exist.

TSS

I went to Edinburgh recently for a weekend with my wife and we stayed in the 'Edinburgh City Hotel' .....very nice room, sensibly priced, about 10 mins walk from the centre and had some parking spaces as well.

Friends have recommended the Apex Hotel in the Grassmarket & there's plenty to do on your doorstep in this part of the medieval old town. The other option that friends have done is to rent a flat for a few days & that can work out a bit cheaper if you can cope without being so pampered.

The great thing about Edinburgh is that almost everything is within walking distance so I'd be tempted to dump the car in the suburbs if the hotel doesn't have spaces. Metered parking is even more expensive than London. I'm going to be working on Queen Street today & I'll need my vehicle on hand; that will cost me £3.90 per hour. If you park down by the Botanics it's free & comes with a very pleasant walk back through Stockbridge & the Georgian New Town.

Search | Edinburgh-Flats.com

Search | Edinburgh-Flats.com

Free Car Parking in Edinburgh | Edinburgh-Flats.com

When i was younger and used to head up to edin for stag do's always stayed in the travel lodge its omly 1 street back from the Royal mile down towards holyrood and 1 street back of the cowgate, had its own parking too
So pretty central and in crawling/staggering distance of load sof pubs/clubs

Arthurs seat would be a easily doable walk from there

Don't forget the re-opened Waverley Lind gives options to stay in a number of towns and then take the train. Iwas in Edinburgh last year and did this. Car parking is mega expensive in Edinburgh. Waverley Lind has free park n'ride and opens options of cheaper hotels in towns along its route.

NB Border Tackle and Guns well worth a visit too! Dixon's in Edinburgh not worth crossing the street for.

As title says, I am looking for accomodation in Edinburgh for a long weekend in October. I'm taking the old fella there as a birthday treat as he likes the architecture and wants to see Holyrood palace etc etc.

Any recommendations as places to stay that don't cost the earth and either within easy walking distance of the above or within easy travel of it.

the closer I can get to the centre the better I guess because he will be up early in the morning for a walkabout and have discovered everything before I even get my ass out of bed for breakfast. He doesn't drink so a place with beer is not obligatory. Although I wouldn't say no myself. :D

And if you have any suggestions of what to see when we are up there. I will have a car so needs to be a place with parking. I looked up some reasonable hotels but parking didn't seem to exist.

TSS

Dont be put off if not in the town centre as Edinburgh has a superb bus service.

Iain.

My usual spot is the Radisson Blu on the High Street, which has parking - I call ahead and a friendly chat usually gets you free parking. Parking is 24 hour so you can check out and spend the rest of the day in town before heading back for your car. Exactly halfway between castle and holyrood house, 2 minutes from my favourite restaurant La Garrigue on Jeffrey St. (lunch specials, evenings are pricier)

If you don't mind the bus into town, the Braid Hills Hotel also well worth a look, free parking. Its where a lot of the rugby teams stay when in town. They pour a mean pint of heavy.

Botanic gardens, kings park/ arthurs seat/ National Museum on Chambers St (good café)/ castle/ grassmarket/ High St (Royal Mile)/ Gladstone land and mary kings close/ royal yacht Britannia down leith. Museums are all free (I think that's still the case?). If your fathers legs get worn out, head down to Waverley Station and hop on an open topped tour bus.

And when in Edinburgh I always have 'salt & sauce' on a bag of chips and then I really know I'm home. Its allegedly just brown sauce watered down with vinegar, but its surely much more than that.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the messages and pm's. I sorted out with a premier 2 miles out the road and with the saving I can take a taxi in and out every day and still have something left over, quite a lot actually, and even managed to book a return flight for himself for £35. Bargain. Edinburgh central really is expensive, I've found cheaper in London. But bit far to travel. :D

He may be in his 80's now but he is still fit as an almost in tune fiddle. Lol. I'm most likely the one to be wheezing behind him. Now to start planning an itinerary. Some useful information sent to me, cheers.

Don't forget the re-opened Waverley Lind gives options to stay in a number of towns and then take the train. Iwas in Edinburgh last year and did this. Car parking is mega expensive in Edinburgh. Waverley Lind has free park n'ride and opens options of cheaper hotels in towns along its route.

NB Border Tackle and Guns well worth a visit too! Dixon's in Edinburgh not worth crossing the street for.

We will agree to disagree on this one. John Dickson & Sons has changed dramatically over the last few years. They have a good stock of very nice fine shotguns and rifles, and if you like that sort of thing then well worth a visit. If you want lots of cheap plastic fantastic type stuff with real tree underpants, don't bother.

Car Parking in Edinburgh is expensive, but most don't charge over the weekend. No more expensive than any other city. Park and Ride, or some of the city centre car parks are reasonable. There are some very good bed and breakfasts in the Edinburgh New Town - so worth a look.

I'm with Heym on this. My last 5 rifles & shotguns have come from Dicksons (they sell cheap ones too) & they are always negotiable on price. I'd be more tempted to stop at Game & Country in Selkirk on the way south if you're looking to break the journey.

Well that's oodd Heym and Mck as I went early this year (or late last year) after the Waverley Line was re-opened and was disticngly underwhelmed to how it was when I was last in Edinburgh in the 1980s (when Edinburgh Field and Stream and Martin's all were still extant) and it didn't seem to have much at all of interest to see.

Game and Country is the place that sells chainsaw oil and stuff also? I think that I may have called in there on the way from Carlisle up to the "start" of the Waverley Line this last visit.

Yes, it's changed a lot from how it was in it's heyday but they do have some very handsome guns. The MacNaughton bar-in-wood is worth a look & they have a few oddities likes a cross-over stocked sbs. You might not be aware that they also have a shop & workshop in Dunkeld at the Shooting School there so the Edinburgh shop is now more of a satellite & I suspect is there really just to maintain a presence. It's still handy to be able to pop out at lunch time & buy bullets. Should you be interested in a .22 with very nice wood I'll be placing one there to be sold in the next week or so...

Game & Country is continually expanding & have most things you might need for keepering & game rearing through to clothing, ammunition, & reloading equipment plus a gun room. Service is friendly & second to none & they were happy to let me try a new Quantum thermal unit which is typical of my experience of them.

Last edited:
Back