Clear night last night

Cyres

At last grass being cut and its not raining, so after a 10 day lay off out on foxing patrol. Turned out to be a very clear and cold night and the thermal and NV worked a treat. Stars were quite vivid in the NV monocular. Turned up at the first field which had been cut the day before, v heavy crop, slow drive into field and both of us simultaneously clocked a fox sitting up loking at us. Managed to get .204 out of case and locate magazine in jacket and not too difficult 145 yd shot. 1 down, put rifle away and then mate spots another 300+ yds further up the field, so had rifle out again and mag up to 25x, and its game on, however buddy thinks better to get closer so I stand on the bumper as we creep up field. Stop at 200 yds and fox is ambling towards thick hedge but fortunately pauses before it goes through the run, bad news and a vixens life is terminated.

It seems grass cut everywhere and then we bump into one of our farmers in the lane so quick chat, he is pleased 2 gone already. Surprisingly nothing on other normal banker fields. 11 pm sees us back on the original field, not really expecting to see much, mate clocks a charlie in the thermal but its gone by the time we get the other. 204 and drone out. He passes the thermal to me and I clock another fox almost in the same place as I shot the vixen. Another creep up the field and stop. I then get a master class in how to squeak a fox in. Just remarkable how much a fox can hear any way it goes just like the book says and a dog fox bites the dust, round went a fraction high I could see it very clearly through the thermal but in the drone it was heavily obscured by the swath. Please note those you wish to buy a thermal scope. So we are very pleased. On way back home check another field and much to our surprise another charlie which was dispatched. So home by midnight having had a very good evening. Thermal and NV just brilliant on such a cold and clear night.

D

No but will need to buy a new Pulsar thermal pretty soon. No the comment was aimed at potential buyers of thermal scopes in that whilst I had a very clear picture of the fox through the hd38s it wasn't clear with the Drone as in the drone you could see the grass infront of it. Similar occurence couple of weeks ago I spotted a fox in a grass field looked as clear as could be but we couldn't see it with the drone or lamp.

Ice cream made and delivery pending, might be couple weeks pending visit to BOA. also we need to get out as AH wants to see your DP and hand held NV.

D

No but will need to buy a new Pulsar thermal pretty soon. No the comment was aimed at potential buyers of thermal scopes in that whilst I had a very clear picture of the fox through the hd38s it wasn't clear with the Drone as in the drone you could see the grass infront of it. Similar occurence couple of weeks ago I spotted a fox in a grass field looked as clear as could be but we couldn't see it with the drone or lamp.

D

My concern with the current generation of civilian thermal riflescopes is that they just don't have enough resolution to allow the shooter to distinguish between a fox and a dog. We've had several farm collies and the like run in towards the caller, and I certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for unwittingly killing one.

Ice cream made and delivery pending, might be couple weeks pending visit to BOA. also we need to get out as AH wants to see your DP and hand held NV.

D

Why is it the typing keeps going back to the start....very annoying......
We all know that a few blades of grass can send a pill off on a tangent so it is important to have that complete picture David you are right,and it also means you need to be able to see the backstop which wouldn't be as obvious through a thermal scope,so they do have their limitationsOh,and can't wait for the ice cream.....Mmmmmmmm!

Back