BDS Deer Management Course

Willie,

Thetfor is my Birthday week which I normally take off for a spot of stalking.

I only have DSC1 at the moment but from reading DSC2 is prefered but DSC1 should do the job!

I'd be interested from anyone with the qualification to understand a bit more about whats required and how difficult a course it is?

Also how to the FC look at this qualification. Would I still need to complete DSC2 to get/join a lease or is this viewed as a higher qualification?

Thanks

Robbo25

Willie

I have my name down for the Deer Management Course ay Wadhurst in November. I found out that the Wadhurst Course is based at a deer park, so am a little concerned that the course content might be based around captive deer. Thinking of switching to Thetford. Has anyone completed a Deer Management Course at Wadhurst ?

Sticks

Sticks

The Thetford course is being run at Elveden estate (http://www.elveden.com/default.asp). Date-wise I couldn't make the others.

Robbo

DSC1 and DSC2 are quite different qualifications.

In DMQ's own words, DSC1 is "a largely knowledge based qualification which enables candidates to demonstrate their understanding of basic deer management principles and meat hygiene, and to show competence in shooting at simulated targets."

Whereas DSC 2 is designed so that the candidate can "demonstrate their knowledge and competence in legally, safely and humanely culling deer and dealing with carcasses hygienically."

You can find out more about them both here: http://www.dmq.org.uk/ in particular check out the FAQ's. Also if you search for "DSC2" here on the site you'll get lots of results!

willie_gunn

Willie

I have my name down for the Deer Management Course ay Wadhurst in November. I found out that the Wadhurst Course is based at a deer park, so am a little concerned that the course content might be based around captive deer. Thinking of switching to Thetford. Has anyone completed a Deer Management Course at Wadhurst ?

Sticks

Hi

Yes, I did the course at Wadhurst 2 years ago. The course is given by BDS Trainers, so the content is likely to be to a set standard and format, which is approved by LANTRA. The deer management principles are not solely Park orientated, but are framed to cover all differing habitats in the UK.

The advantage of the Park Environment is that it is easy to see different species of deer , and obviously some that one would not encounter in UK normally. The lardering/ hygiene set up is exemplary, and it is the one that stars in Chris Howards BDS Gralloching DVD, something for the rest of us to aspire to I think.

The exams are in accordance with Lantra requirements and Park Deer are only a small part of UK Deer Management, so the answer is that IMHO the venue does not make a huge difference to the course content.

I would encourage anyone to do the course, as I certainly got a lot from it and met a group of interesting and like minded people for the week. It didn't improve my stalking, but it certainly improved my knowledge and understanding.

Best

P

I did this course back in the days when it was titled the 'Advanced Stalker'.

Still feel that it is one of the best and most enjoyable I have attended.

I would recommend anyone to attend - though it is intended for a stalker with a good level of practical and theoretical experience.

Rgds

Ian :)

im not a member of the bds. can i still do a course or do you have to join first? and is there any in the north?

bunnydan

Don't know about the membership question - give them a call and they'll tell you soon enough. They certainly don't require it if you do the DSC1 with them and they didn't ask me about membership when I enrolled for Thetford.

If you check the link in the first post there is a course running at Catterick on 13-17 September.

willie_gunn

I did it back in 2007. Very good course!
I think you need to have a good base knowledge of deer related matters before going on it to get the best out of it though. DSC 1 & 2 would be advantageous but shouldn't be a necessity. The exam at the end will test your hand if you are not used to writing though! (That said, it can be taken orally for those with difficulties in writing).
I don't know why they don't just call it DSC level 3 though?!:stir:
Then various agencies could insist we had that as well!:doh::banghead:
Any thoughts on that one?!
MS:D

Don't go there Monkyspanker! I can only re-affirm what Monkyspanker says. I was on the same course and found it really interesting and informative and learnt a lot. I would advise anyone doing it to study in the evenings to consolidate what you have been taught during the day or you may find the exam difficult.

It's going to sound like a brag but...I did the first ever Advanced Stalkers course in Stockbridge village hall; about 1987. Were any other members there? Most of us were BDS Services Branch.

It was quite unique as most of the lecturers (R. Prior, Hugh Rose) etc sat the Advanced test with the students.

Course book you should receive isn't it? When I did the Advanced Stalkers I received a book about twice as thick as the current DSC1 tome - although some of the basics were repeats of the the NSCC info.

Does anyone know/remember what the recommended reading material is? I would like to read up beforehand if possible.

willie_gunn

This was the list when I did the course 2 years ago

The British Deer Society Deer Management Course

Course Preparation Book List

Those publications marked ( * ) are available from the British Deer Society, The Walled Garden, Burgate Manor, Fordingbridge, Hampshire, SP6 1EF.
Orders can be placed by:-
Tel: 01425 655434, FAX: 01425 655433, E-mail-admin@bds.org.uk, or at our online shop www.bds.org.uk Postage costs £3.50 with payment by cheque or credit card please.

* Fallow Deer (Reprint) Donald and Norma Chapman
ISBN 0-9528510-5-9 £30.00

* Roe Deer Biology & Management Forestry Commission Bulletin 105
ISBN 0-11-710310-1 £6.00

* How Many Deer? Forestry Commission Field Book 18
ISBN 0-85538-405-0 £14.00

* Gardens and Deer, Charles Cole
A Guide to Damage Limitation Pub Swan Hill Press
ISBN 1-85310-965-7 £7.95

*Roe Deer Management and Stalking Richard Prior
Pub. Swan Hill Press
ISBN 1-84037-138-2 £24.95

* Deer Journal of The British Deer Society

Roe Deer – Out of Print John K Fawcett
Fallow Deer Jochen Langbein and Norma Chapman
Chinese Water Deer Arnold Cooke & Lynne Farrell
Sika Deer Rory Putman
Muntjac– Out of Print Norma Chapman & Stephen Harris

Each of the above 5 booklets are jointly
published by The British Deer Society £3.50 each
& The Mammal Society

The Deer Managers Companion Rory Putman & Dr Jochen Langbein
Pub: Swan Hill Press
ISBN 1 904057 03 9 £25.00

Deer Commission for Scotland Annual Report Tel: 01463 231751

Deer Commission for Scotland Best Practice One- off sub updated regularly
Guidance Tel: As Above

The Natural History Of Deer Rory Putman Pub. Helm
(Available from: Coch-Y-Bonddu Books ISBN 0-7470-2603-3
Tel: 01654 702837)

Management of Deer & Their Habitat Andrew de Nahlik Pub. Wilson Hunt
(Available from: Coch-Y-Bonddu Books ISBN 0-907519-01-6 £19.95
Tel: 01654 702837)

Enjoy !

Best

P

The shooting test is still there, but its optional ..... the point of the course is now Deer Management rather than Advanced Stalkers, and that includes Estate Agents, Forestry Employees and Factors who may not shoot. I did the shooting test, and yes...... its fun !

Best

Peter

Just finnish my first day "fantastic" have lernt so much all ready, four very knowledgeable tutors in Chris Howard, Dominic Griffith,Dave Goffin and Jan Andrews, four days to go and a shooting test then a exam on friday.

Tony

It's going to sound like a brag but...I did the first ever Advanced Stalkers course in Stockbridge village hall; about 1987. Were any other members there? Most of us were BDS Services Branch.It was quite unique as most of the lecturers (R. Prior, Hugh Rose) etc sat the Advanced test with the students.
I did mine in February 2001 and it was a very enjoyable course then.
I should imagine there is quite a bit added to it or changed but the basics must be the same.
It is/was certainly more far reaching than the level 2, I'll not mention any names but like NickJ, there were a few people on the same course that are now very highly regarded and teaching similar courses.

I don't know why they don't just call it DSC level 3 though?!:stir:
Then various agencies could insist we had that as well!:doh::banghead:
Any thoughts on that one?!
MS:D

I wouldn't have a problem with that provided they allow Grandfather's Rights and I could convert my Advanced Stalkers pass from 1992, (highest pass mark to boot! :smug::oops:), and that was heavily biased towrds management rather than just stalking. Agree with Ian, it's probably the most interesting of all the deer based courses I've been on - although as always, much depends on the calibre of the lecturers.

Back