Death threats

if you are a member of one of the shooting organisations it may be worth contacting them first to get a legal perspective on things as they should know how these issues are handled. you should be very careful in how you handle this because the unfortunate thing is that people like you who are the victim can end up loosing out, and by this I mean your firearms. I know that you feel intimidated and I believe that reporting this is the correct thing to do but perhaps one of the organisations may be able to advise how best to do so.

the threats are most likely to be nothing to worry about but you need to do what's right, just in case, and that must be your primary concern.

my secondary concern personally would be that reporting this in a certain way could end up in a temporary seizure of your firearms. perhaps / hopefully unlikely but if you tell the police that there may be trouble ahead could they deem it necessary to remove your firearms for the safety of those making the threats?

like I say, there may be a right and wrong way of reporting this.

I have read this thread, but iam unable to see if cowsmart has reported this very serious allegation. How do you think the Police would deal with this matter if the shoe was on the other foot!. I suspect ARV's, and a squad of officers turning up at you home and seizing your guns for a start, never to return them. Cowsmart you must report this matter, and keep us all up to date on this site

If you post pictures of shot Cubs on a open forum what do you expect they are looking for people like you all the time to start intimidating just don't post graphic pictures

If you post pictures of shot Cubs on a open forum what do you expect they are looking for people like you all the time to start intimidating just don't post graphic pictures

Fair point, but the original poster does say that's a lesson he has already learnt in his initial post.

Just my opinion, but perhaps this is the sort of story that should be presented to the newspaper too?
After all, the general public 'knows' that the bunny brigade are all 'gentle pacifists' that wouldn't harm a fly, let alone another human!

Just my opinion, but perhaps this is the sort of story that should be presented to the newspaper too?
After all, the general public 'knows' that the bunny brigade are all 'gentle pacifists' that wouldn't harm a fly, let alone another human!

You're assuming we live in a country with balanced press coverage! That kind of story will not suit their agenda so it wouldn't get covered.

U only had to see that program about the women who hunt lions and the ammount of abuse they got is truely shocking and most meant to come from UK.
Some of the stories about tthe animal testing labs etc, some of the stuff they were doing was a disgrace, exhuming the dead etc and many will be the same folk

Is it not quite secure if u are on a locked group on facebook?
A few of the boys from our shoot set 1 up a while back (generaly to take the p**s) but i've just started using it to save posting letters etc. Would i t be a bad idea to put shoot dates up on it?

I know what you mean but don't agree (although I myself don't post pictures like that), a couple of points
1. the FB group was closed
2. the FB group was a shooting group so not surprising there would be pictures there (just like pictures of dead deer on here)
3. the "antis" must have went out of their way to find the photos
4. the OP has not broken any laws and not done anything wrong but the "antis" are breaking the law
5. I personally don't post pictures like that but if somebody decides they do want to and does so on the appropriate platform then why not? why should shooters not post what they like for fear of this kind of things, its the "antis" who are in the wrong and not the OP, hiding things away and not taking part on shooting forums and FB groups for fear of the backlash surely gives the "antis" a win

I do however half agree with both points of view.

That makes my point though - showing the 'peaceful, non-violent, animal lovers' how violent, vitriolic, hypocritical and nasty they really are.
Give them a mirror so that they can actually see thems elves for what they are.

It does make one wonder.... How do they think the juicy piece of pork landed on their dinner plate? A deer or rabbit is culled humanely. A pig or a chicken is basically electrocuted as they go through the slaughterhouse. Wonder why they aren't threatening abbatoirs etc... perhaps because it has nothing to do with animal welfare and everything to do with anti-shooting.

On a serious note.

Should the matter be reported to the police and the police on investigation, find that the threats had been made by known aggressive activists with a history of "crossing the line", would the police not deem it prudent to remove the firearms from the person receiving the threats.

I would suggest they would.

Hopefully by now Lee has contacted the police, and nothing bad happens, i am sure nothing will.

I have totally stopped posting pictures of game and discussing my shooting on line. Even here we will have keyboard warriors saying a shot is impossible, unethical or whatever, i guess either because they cannot do it, dont have the kit to do it, or the opportunities. I remember well a good friend, full time deer stalker being lambasted by idiots here for some of his shooting, exterminating boar piglets in an area where they should never have been and were doing incredible damage, some people thought it best to leave this invasive species for sport, without knowing any of the detail. He has not been on since, and when i discussed it with him he just shrugged and said life is too short. We lost one of the best sources of information on red deer that i know.

I think part of the problem is people use forums and facebook for entertainment, they post when bored and like to stir things, posting things they actually dont believe just for fun, to get a kick and a rise. It certainly spoils things for people genuinely looking for information looking for help, for a product or a sale. You can guarantee those who like a complain will always attack a product, when the thousands who like it tend not to bother posting. Blasers, swarovski and the like are a decent example, love it or hate it the haters are always more vocal.

Interestingly the only time i have met someone who attacked me on line was as a result of a fishing discussion years ago. I had caught 3 kelts one morning and was accused of targeting them, nonsense, even stupid as at the time i was the chairman of the River Don Trust, and stopped fishing that day as it was clear springers were not in attendance. Anyway, i happened to meet him in a tackle shop some time later and challenged him over it, a more meek pathetic human you will never have seen, saying it was just a joke, and meant no harm.

I expect those harassing Lee will be from the same mold, weak pathetic humans with minimal common sense and education. However as a shooter we have too much to loose so like has been written here many times, report it, collect the evidence and present it to the police, then call and follow it up after a week or so.

Hopefully by now Lee has contacted the police, and nothing bad happens, i am sure nothing will.

What makes you so sure? I think he should stand his ground, however intimidated he feels. Telling the police he feels intimidated is almost like the polices attitude to depression. Even though it is a treatable condition and people that seek help for it are not a danger to society.

I have totally stopped posting pictures of game and discussing my shooting on line. Even here we will have keyboard warriors saying a shot is impossible, unethical or whatever, i guess either because they cannot do it, dont have the kit to do it, or the opportunities. I remember well a good friend, full time deer stalker being lambasted by idiots here for some of his shooting, exterminating boar piglets in an area where they should never have been and were doing incredible damage, some people thought it best to leave this invasive species for sport, without knowing any of the detail. He has not been on since, and when i discussed it with him he just shrugged and said life is too short. We lost one of the best sources of information on red deer that i know.

We live in a modern age where information is at our fingertips.... I share the sentiment that I will not post pictures of myself on an internet forum because I wish to avoid the unwanted attention of certain factions that are anti-gun, anti-shooting or just plain crazy animal rights activists that are allegedly willing to threaten to kill anyone who they deem a target because of their chosen hobby or profession.

I think part of the problem is people use forums and facebook for entertainment, they post when bored and like to stir things, posting things they actually dont believe just for fun, to get a kick and a rise. It certainly spoils things for people genuinely looking for information looking for help, for a product or a sale. You can guarantee those who like a complain will always attack a product, when the thousands who like it tend not to bother posting. Blasers, swarovski and the like are a decent example, love it or hate it the haters are always more vocal.

The best privacy policy on the internet is not your use of cookies.... Don't use facebook or any other social media. If you want social interaction, go to the pub or go to your local clay shot or local rifle club. Incidentally I am not a Blaser fan, you couldn't sell me one for all the gold in fort knox.... but take nothing away from the rifle they are every bit as good as you could want for stalking.

Interestingly the only time i have met someone who attacked me on line was as a result of a fishing discussion years ago. I had caught 3 kelts one morning and was accused of targeting them, nonsense, even stupid as at the time i was the chairman of the River Don Trust, and stopped fishing that day as it was clear springers were not in attendance. Anyway, i happened to meet him in a tackle shop some time later and challenged him over it, a more meek pathetic human you will never have seen, saying it was just a joke, and meant no harm.

I expect those harassing Lee will be from the same mold, weak pathetic humans with minimal common sense and education. However as a shooter we have too much to loose so like has been written here many times, report it, collect the evidence and present it to the police, then call and follow it up after a week or so.

When you stand up to bullys, they are not so strong. Whether online or real life. They are still pathetic in their mindset. Even big bullys can be taught a hard life lesson. If you have the resolve and a strong constitution, the bully will not win.

Brimfire, Ok, you are correct, i am not sure nothing will happen, how could I. I have never met Lee, dont know where he lives and have never been there and dont know anything about who was having a go at him, so i will change this to i sincerely hope nothing bad happens. I expect an hour or two on the net would give me this information, but i am really not into that and my post was to add support for him and give some personal experiences to try to give some comfort. From personal experience and anecdotally here i very much doubt anyone will try to kill him, or will even speak to him face to face. I expect and hope it will be all be confined to the internet. As i said, tell the police, give them the evidence and then follow it up in a reasonable timescale. I work closely with the police and know they take this seriously.

I am a tad confused by the rest of your post, i am not sure how he can stand his ground as an example, but as my pal said, life is too short.

Brimfire, Ok, you are correct, i am not sure nothing will happen, how could I. I have never met Lee, dont know where he lives and have never been there and dont know anything about who was having a go at him, so i will change this to i sincerely hope nothing bad happens. I expect an hour or two on the net would give me this information, but i am really not into that and my post was to add support for him and give some personal experiences to try to give some comfort. From personal experience and anecdotally here i very much doubt anyone will try to kill him, or will even speak to him face to face. I expect and hope it will be all be confined to the internet. As i said, tell the police, give them the evidence and then follow it up in a reasonable timescale. I work closely with the police and know they take this seriously.

I am a tad confused by the rest of your post, i am not sure how he can stand his ground as an example, but as my pal said, life is too short.

You, sir, are also correct. Let's hope so. I doubt there is any real danger in the threat however malicious they are. Sometimes the police are not always there to help you, even when you are a victim. They can sometimes come across as callously uncaring and can often have the view that 'it's your fault you are the victim'. My concern is that the OP owning guns and the fact of threats by such unlawful organisations could be a recipe for the police knocking the door with a warrant to remove lawfully held guns because they believe with intelligence there could be a situation. Yes it whiffs of ******** but how can we be sure that would not be the outcome?

I think we all agree that the OP should not be subjected to that kind of abuse and there is no valid reason that anyone should think they are entitled to give that kind of abuse. The OP has cctv and I would have thought an intruder alarm too. That should be enough of a deterrent if there were any real thoughts of such illegitimate factions doing anything unlawful to the OP.

I have read all posts and taken all into account...I have decided not to go to the police on this occasion, for the reasons mentioned above....I take it some of you have been and read the posts on Facebook.. and even though feeling a little intimidated, I think the risk of losing my hobby due to these hypocrites is just not worth it...their use of intimidation and threats has won this time, sorry guys and gals..if anything does happen to me or my family then it has been covered on here and elsewhere for the police to follow...regards Lee

Can't say I blame you in one way, sometimes it seems better to keep the peace. maybe follow a few of the anti sites prowling for info and report it when you find something, might make you feel better :thumb:

What a sorry state we as shooters are in. Daring not to seek medical help or legal recourse against people who would commit crimes against us for fear of detriment to our sport, hobby, or even livelihood. Second class citizens or what?

I hope someone can come on here from either the police or legal profession and tell us if we would be risking our firearms if we were to report intimidation and threats in line with the OP.

Wolfie

I have read all posts and taken all into account...I have decided not to go to the police on this occasion, for the reasons mentioned above....I take it some of you have been and read the posts on Facebook.. and even though feeling a little intimidated, I think the risk of losing my hobby due to these hypocrites is just not worth it...their use of intimidation and threats has won this time, sorry guys and gals..if anything does happen to me or my family then it has been covered on here and elsewhere for the police to follow...regards Lee

I am sure it has been a difficult decision. Only you will know which course of action is best. The hardest part is when your family is being threatened. I don't see it that their intimidation has won. I see it that you have stood firm. Nothing for you to feel sorry about. I doubt anything will happen.

Regarding Katie Hopkins, I think her children were threatened too. There are no reports that her kids have been harmed.

Back