Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: experience of 77/22

experience of 77/22

hi guys i looked at a ruger 77/22 today odd synthetic stock stainless barrel and rotary mag. its bolt action and feels well made whats peoples thoughts on it? i want a second 22 for dedicated night vision. my local dealer has a selection of cz bronos old 10/22 and an anshuits i quite liked the 77 but never seen one before. comments please good and bad
    Last edited by shakey jake; 08-07-2016 at 07:00. Reason: brain fart

SD Regular
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    From accounts not as accurate as a bog standard new, or even secondhand, BRNO or CZ and three times the price. Oh the other hand it does have a ten shot magazine but NOT the same, as far as I know, as that used in the Ruger 10/22 but will stand to be corrected on I may be confusing the lever action Ruger .44 with the bolt action Ruger .44 on magazine interchangeability.

Quote Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post
    yep brain fart ruger not remington

I've owned several Rugers 10/22s etc and never been impressed with their accuracy (still have one in NZ).
    Savage on the other hand despite their reputation for being a lower finish, a little rough and ready; have always been tack drivers, regardless of the price.
    Remington are a lot dearer but shoot well. CZ I have not shot. Browning are very good straight out of the box.
    My advice is get a Savage bolt action with the accutrigger and use the spare cash to get a better sight.

I have a 77/22 that I bought new several years ago. It is a good, solid and accurate rifle. The ten shot magazines are good for rabbit lamping and cheap to buy too. Nothing about mine to dislike. They are rather expensive to buy brand new now though.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Have a 77/22 it drives tacks, I would say though that the CZ takes a lot of beating , is the one your looking have the paddle stock.

Shooting buddy of mine has one and he's very happy with it.
    "He who drags the deer has the last laugh (mainly because he has to get his breath back)"

I have a stainless laminate 22wmr , I've had the barrel shortened and it's been bedded , it's quite an accurate gun with the lighter 30-33g ammo so like any rimfire try a load of ammo to see what it likes?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

FWIW - I ve had one for 17 years, s/steel and synthetic paddle stock, accurate enough with the rounds that it likes - winchester subsonic, but it never did like the various stingers / fast rounds. I put a Timney trigger in it and it does what it says on the box. However, another Poster says that they are expensive these days, and there are more modern designs about. Right gun at the right price I guess?