mounting an reflex sight on a pump action mossberg

Biathlonjimmy

Morning All,

I have just purchased a mossberg pump action suppressed .410 for use where the .22 is unsuitable.

I took it out yesterday evening and bagged a few rabbits but to it them I had to obscure the target with the suppressor. Not ideal.

Has anyone mounted a reflex type optical sight the a shotgun without drilling and tapping the receiver?

Any tips?

J

Morning All,

I have just purchased a mossberg pump action suppressed .410 for use where the .22 is unsuitable.

I took it out yesterday evening and bagged a few rabbits but to it them I had to obscure the target with the suppressor. Not ideal.

Has anyone mounted a reflex type optical sight the a shotgun without drilling and tapping the receiver?

Any tips?

J

Try a Saddle mount. Amazon.com: Millett Aluminum Shotgun Saddle Mount for Mossberg 500, 835, 12 Gauge: Sports Outdoors I have one on my Remington 870 and it works great.

I dont know as I havent got one but are they not drilled and tapped already so a picatinny rail can be fitted?

Amazon.com : Mossberg 500/590 Series Shotgun Picatinny Rail Mount : Sports Outdoors

My 500 .410 hushpower does not have any, I have just looked.

The product description on your amazon link says pre 1997 ones did not have factory mounting holes...the QandA comments refer to different thread sizes pre 1997.

But as far as I can tell from t'internet mine is 2010, serial number T650xxx

Alan

Last edited:
I had a 12g mossberg pump and had the same issue of having to obscure the target or it hit low.
I fitted a reflex red dot as you describe....it was freaking awesome! I'll see if I can find a pic. The mossy is long gone now but if I recall I just fitted a picatinny rail to it.....im sure it had reciever holes for the screws already in the gun.

Havent got a pic of it worth showing or that I think will help you (can pm it to you anyway if you want) but im certain mine had the reciever holes already there so the rail just screwed on. It worked really well so I would persevere to try and find a solution......it will transform your experience with the gun.

I would not bother. I use mine 2 or 3 times a week ratting, you will soon get used to it. It only took me a couple of weeks.

Thanks all for your responses and PMs. Suffice to say that although the receiver is not pre drilled I will be getting a rail mounted with a reflex sight. Can't wait for the transformation. J

Please let us know how you go on , i also have a 410 mossberg 500 and the receivers are smaller than the 12g so saddle mounts are not an option . ?

Back