Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lab casting hair

Lab casting hair

Hi All,
    I have a young lab bitch just over 13 months old.

She lives in the house with us and seems to constantly be shedding hair, not just a few here and there. It just seems to me to be more than I would expect.

There are no bald patches on her but I am wondering if this is natural or is there something lacking in her diet.

At the end of February this year she had her first season and this was followed after that by a phantom pregnancy (confirmed by vet).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

A.M.

after a real pregnancy my labs "blow" their coats due to a hormone change not bald patchs but real thinning soon grows back over a month or so !
    hope that helps
    Norma

Our lab lost hair like there was no tomorrow, you could brush him, vacuum him, bath him and still it came out. He never ran out of hair though.

Our yellow dog sheds constantly!!!! It's just what yellow labs do apparently. I grew up with black bitches, and there was a loud THWACK twice a year when they moulted, and that was it for 6 months
    Sako 75 Syn/St 6.5x55mm - Swarovski Z6i 3-18x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Living in the house causes dogs to shed all the time I think. Nice and warm, no real need for a thick coat

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger22 View Post
    Living in the house causes dogs to shed all the time I think. Nice and warm, no real need for a thick coat
    My old girl has retired into the house i use to have a wood floor but now soon as I turn round it looks like I have a black carpet

We got a brush recommended it called a furminator , yellow handled thing with metal teeth that strips loose hair deep ... Meant to use only couple times a week .... But don't pay 40 odd quid asked for them , get them half price on eBay .... Wow it cleans them up ! Do it outside !

I also like to give her a run down the beach get her into the water to help get rid of lose hair ...

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post
    We got a brush recommended it called a furminator , yellow handled thing with metal teeth that strips loose hair deep ... Meant to use only couple times a week .... But don't pay 40 odd quid asked for them , get them half price on eBay .... Wow it cleans them up ! Do it outside !

I also like to give her a run down the beach get her into the water to help get rid of lose hair ...

Paul
    don't over use these can cause cysts to form if over vigorous ie pulling alive hair not moulting hair

I'm a firm believer that a regular swim in sea water is good for all sorts of skin problems in dogs, but it's probably the warm environment that is causing 'your problem'.

Mine is the same age and doing the same. Think I just notice it less with the black dogs.