Yukon Photon - Zero problems with doubler

colc08

I have recently purchased a Photon XT 6.5 x 50. I have a doubler with sleeve and when fitted I cannot get it to zero but zero's fine without it. Am I doing something glaringly obviously wrong?

So, with a target on a 3 ft board sat at 100 yards as recommended and the bullet seemed to be striking the ground about 3 ft short, even with full adjustment of the cross hairs I couldn't pull it up onto the board. I tried this at 50 yards too with no joy and could only strike the board when brought into about 15 feet away!

BUT... Once I took the doubler off It zeros fine. Well I say fine, it shoots 1/2 inch low at 100 yards which is what I settled on for the time being. This is on full adjustment so cant bring the cross hairs any higher than this.

It is obviously still shooting a bit low but not sure how i can get it nay better.

The Photon is mounted on a rail with high mounts and ideally would bring it down closer to the barrel but the Photon's housing will not allow it so is as close as It will go with still having a slight gap.

Any ideas chaps?

I have recently purchased a Photon XT 6.5 x 50. I have a doubler with sleeve and when fitted I cannot get it to zero but zero's fine without it. Am I doing something glaringly obviously wrong?

So, with a target on a 3 ft board sat at 100 yards as recommended and the bullet seemed to be striking the ground about 3 ft short, even with full adjustment of the cross hairs I couldn't pull it up onto the board. I tried this at 50 yards too with no joy and could only strike the board when brought into about 15 feet away!

BUT... Once I took the doubler off It zeros fine. Well I say fine, it shoots 1/2 inch low at 100 yards which is what I settled on for the time being. This is on full adjustment so cant bring the cross hairs any higher than this.

It is obviously still shooting a bit low but not sure how i can get it nay better.

The Photon is mounted on a rail with high mounts and ideally would bring it down closer to the barrel but the Photon's housing will not allow it so is as close as It will go with still having a slight gap.

Any ideas chaps?

a few questions please.

what calibre

what rifle

what type of rings, mounts are you using

thank you

bob.

I can only think that the rail is mounted wrong for you to be maxed out on adjustment,

or the mounts have an issue,

seems very strange that you have maxed out on the adjustment. I doubt very much that it's the scope it has to be the mounts or the combo of both them and the rail,

bob.

Yep everywhere I read about them before buying one said most people had issues with elevation and so bought adjustable rings. As I wanted mine in QR picatinny rings I bought a 20moa rail for my CZ and it has been fine on elevation. Without him the rail it would be too low at 100m

Please see another post on here about the very same issue. It would appear that when you fit a doubler it massively shifts the POI and we are not sure why. I know two friends that have the very same problem when fitting and zeroing with a doubler. Couple of weeks ago we were re zeroing my mate .17 Fireball with full adjustment on L/R it was still 1" right at 100yds, elevation was correct.

What I suggest is get on target at say 25yds and then slowly unscrew doubler 90 degree at a time and see if this causes the POI to shift. If it does then rotate till you are central and lock the doubled with tape or better still some form of Locktite.

This is only a suggestion at present as not had a chance to try it out.

Prehaps the makers could provide some input.

D

Just to add in one case the Photon was perfectly zeroed and was fitted in adjustable mounts was within 1 click of centre, when doubler added huge shift in POI measured in feet. So its not scope or mount issue but doubler.

D

Just to add in one case the Photon was perfectly zeroed and was fitted in adjustable mounts was within 1 click of centre, when doubler added huge shift in POI measured in feet. So its not scope or mount issue but doubler.

D

I had heard of this but never seen it, I have seen and heard a lot about the mounts etc,

that's why I sold mine and had a drone pro. :)

bob.

I had heard of this but never seen it, I have seen and heard a lot about the mounts etc,

that's why I sold mine and had a drone pro. :)

bob.

Afraid it was my photon on my hmr.....bang on in the atp66 mounts with 00 onthe axis but then off the scale with doubler.....from memory 27" right!!

ive had the same issues with both a mk1 photon and the 6.5x. Currently my 6.5x is sitting in atp 66 adjustable mounts with the extreme conversion and this has been the only way to get on target. I haven't put it on my.223 as too much fafing. if the rimmies are anything to go by. I seem to be for ever altering x, y, adjusters , checking no change of poi with focus change etc however for the price I think they are worth he faff,

Yukon won't honour the warranty if they find out a doubler has been fitted to the 6x50 as they say it isn't manufactured to support it. May have something to do with why the poi shift is so extreme.

Back