Thread: .224 copper terminal ballistics

.224 copper terminal ballistics

I started using these as I was very kindly given a box of Barnes XLC, the precursor to the TSX

53gr, they shoot very well and to the same 100yd POI as my 60gr Hornady Soft points.
    pushing them with 23gr N133 and CCI450 magnum primers
    not chrono'd but likely to be around 3000-3100fps according to VV table data

I was interested in seeing the terminal effect as I had a couple of very messy shoulder shots with the 60gr SP.
    Behind the shoulders not a problem, very clean and swift killing power
    through both shoulders or major bone produced around 2-3kg of bloody mess. dog was happy but that was the only bonus!

I was worried these might be too hard on a light framed target and not allow a decent wound tract

I haven't got a lot of data but what I do have is very impressive
    first shot was a head shot at very close range so not much use
    subsequent shots at 80-155yds all broadside or close to it, through shoulder or heart lung, at the moment all have passed through a leg/shoulder bone on way in or out

latest one was good for photographic purposes

Small scrappy Buck with malformed antlers, in below average condition
    150yds, 9 deg down angle (geovid confirmed!), facing right to left, slightly quartering towards me.
    Shot was a little forward of where I planned but entered through the shoulder joint and exited just above the offside elbow taking the vessels at the top of the heart and the forward aspect of the lungs.
    Buck ran/stumbled on the slope and fell within 5 yds with fairly massive blood loss from POI to resting place

Minimal bruising on entry and exit side, barely a pound of scrap meat
    Shock of impact has splintered the humerus half way down, despite the bullet passing through the humerus/scapula joint.
    No metal found or visible in bone splinters, very "clean" wound tract, no major bone fragments other than at joint site
    Entry and exit same size.

all in all a pretty clean end product.
    I am going to try and shoot the next one with a clear no shoulder pass through and see what that does

This same shot with the 60gr less than a few weeks earlier produced 6-8" of surface bloodclot and bruising, massive haematoma between skin and shoulder muscle, shoulder and rib cage, inside ribcage, on the opposite side and notably the pull through of bone splinters and shed bullet material were visible right through to exit.

Inside ribcage

Shoulders off (entry and exit lined up, viewed from exit side)

bullet path through Scapula/humerus joint with broken humerus some 3-4cm from bullet tract

Very interesting - is this with your .222? If so do you think the slowish twist is allowing it to destabilise immediately on entry into soft tissue creating a wide wound channel?

Last week, I shot a similar animal with almost identical bullet path with a .308 150gr ballistic tip.

Rather different outcome! There was a substatial chunk of scapula lying on the grass 5 metres beyond the carcass...

Quote Originally Posted by oager View Post
    Very interesting - is this with your .222? If so do you think the slowish twist is allowing it to destabilise immediately on entry into soft tissue creating a wide wound channel?
    Its possible.
    i checked zero just the other day and I had a flyer that picked the paper
    very disconcerting to be honest as all the other shots have been very good
    possible it clipped a bit of grass but more shots required to confirm before I shoot past 100

i think the lower weight/calibre Bullets with a large me plat hollow point probably open up extensively. But remain comparatively hard compared to cup and core lead

the same bullet in 55gr hollow point is certainly not a clean punching through

Your results mirror my experience with this bullet, albeit from a 22/250. I never had accuracy issues and would raise doubt the single flier is significant. Saying that I would shoot a few more groups if only for confidence sake.