BASC welcomes EU firearms proposals

I doubt anyone, or any shooting org from the UK had any affect on the change of heart about changes to weapon laws in the EU. Thanks should go to many of the East European countries in the EU and to the Scandinavian countries for stopping the worst of the changes.
You still won't have semi auto rifles and you still have 5 year SGC and FAC,s Other countries had much more to lose

Hmm their allowing .22 semi autos for pest control what about the huge number of .22 semi autos used in gallery rifle competitions? The sooner we can make and enforce our own firearms legislation the better.

Hmm their allowing .22 semi autos for pest control what about the huge number of .22 semi autos used in gallery rifle competitions? The sooner we can make and enforce our own firearms legislation the better.

Like a man with a sense of humour. UK firearm laws are a complete cluster f##k and the application of said laws an even bigger CF.

Last edited:
Jagare, given that BASC ran a strong lobbying campaign on our own and with FACE, and briefed those most closely involved with the discussions will undoubtedly had some impact. However, I agree that the work delivered by others during this process was vital and together I believe we have achieved a lot.

As for 5 year certificate, yes for now but a 10 year certificate is still on the cards for the UK

As far as I can see all .22rf are OK not just those for hunting

Our work continues with the HO and licencing teams to deliver fair and equitable application of law

David

Our work continues with the HO and licencing teams to deliver fair and equitable application of law

David
On the subject of the HO, what are the opinions of the new Home secretary, Amber Rudd, does she have a track record of supporting shooting or have an interest in it.

Jagare, given that BASC ran a strong lobbying campaign on our own and with FACE, and briefed those most closely involved with the discussions will undoubtedly had some impact. However, I agree that the work delivered by others during this process was vital and together I believe we have achieved a lot.

As for 5 year certificate, yes for now but a 10 year certificate is still on the cards for the UK

As far as I can see all .22rf are OK not just those for hunting

David

I don't want anyone to think my post was a dig at BASC As i was a member from the 60s till i moved here 14years ago. Also I'm pro Brexit.
I read somewhere that Ms Ford was all for the proposed changes to EU gun law. She must have had a change of heart :rolleyes:. The Eastern European Countries were completely against the proposed changes was because they saw the big picture re guns and not just from a hunting point of view. When we in Sweden talk of weapons its 95% in the hunting context but even Sweden could see the big picture. It is still possible to own a machine gun in Sweden.

Now if i remember correctly The mess that is UK gun law today was created by the UK goverments With nothing to do with the EU. If any of the proposed Weapons directive had come into law then you can be sure the goverment would have gold plated it with knobs on. As i recall no UK goverment has been the friend of the shooting , hunting man or woman.

David, just what is the latest restriction on shooters throughout Europe that BASC is yet again "welcoming" all about?

Even Vicky Ford appears not to have known what types of firearms would be subject to banning or stricter controls before voting for the legislation to be taken forward as, unbelievably, she states she had written to Commissioner Bienkowska asking for "examples"!!!!! If she was unaware then what chance that any of other eurostooges who were not so directly involved in the process had any idea about what they were voting on?

[video]http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/news-room/20160712IPR36926/Vicky-FORD-IMCO-rapporteur[/video]

From my reading of it there is a proposal to ban all “semi-automatic firearms capable of firing more than 21 rounds without reloading, if a loading device with a capacity exceeding 20 rounds is part of the firearm or is inserted into it”

Effectively that means all semi-auto firearms with separate magazines can potentially fall under the cosh, and despite a belated "assurance" that .22 rifles used for "pest control" are exempt (is only pest control a good reason?), what about all our fellow hunters and shooters in europe who have full-bore, separate magazine semi-autos, (and in many european countries they are the hunter's preferred firearm), or is it another example of 'I'm all right jack' in the UK because we gave up ours long ago?

https://ukshootingnews.wordpress.co...t-know-what-eugunban-just-outlawed/#more-8461

Firstly, we are here primarily to represent the interests of our members, other countries have their own hunting associations of course, but we do try to work together through FACE

Re the 20 round restriction, yes mags are restricted to 20 rounds, that's my understanding

22 can be used for pest control or target shooting

Full Q&A will be coming out soon, but may be Monday - edited highlights covering some of the main questions post here as follows:

Willsemi-automatic rifles and shotguns be banned or restricted?

The EU provision prohibits centrefire semi-automatic firearms, andloading devices (magazines), with one or more of the following characteristics:

a)semi-automatic long firearms (i.e. firearms that are originally intended to befired from the shoulder) that can be reduced to a length of less than 60cmwithout losing functionality by means of a folding or telescoping stock.”

b)firearms which allow the firing of more than 21 rounds without reloading, if aloading device with a capacity exceeding 20 rounds is part of the firearm or isinserted into it.

In the UK for semi-automatic shotguns to be subject to Section 1 firearmcertificate control they must have a minimum barrel length of 24 inches(60.96cm) and a minimum overalllength of 40 inches (101.6cm).

For the purpose of calculating overall length; any detachable,retractable or other moveable butt-stock should be disregarded. ThereforeSection 1 shotguns that conform to the UK criteria fall outside the EUprovision unless their capacity exceeds 21 rounds.

Will CategoryA semi-automatic rifles and shotguns with be permitted for hunting or targetshooting in the EU?

1. The existingprovision for three shot semi-automatic firearms (rifles and shotguns) remainsin EU Category B for hunting and target shooting according to individual MemberState laws.

2. Firearmswhich allow the firing of more than 21 rounds without reloading will be placedinto the prohibited category (EU Category A). They will however be permittedunder the following conditions;

a) the target shooter participates in shooting competitionsorganised by an official shooting sport organisation recognised by a MemberState or by an internationally established and officially recognised shootingsport federation; and

b) the target shooter is a member of a recognisedshooting club, regularly practises target shooting and has been doing so for atleast twelve months.

3. Firearmswith a capacity of less than 21 rounds and those which resemble automatic firearms (AR15 and AK lookalike)remain in Category B and can be used for hunting and target shooting accordingto individual Member State laws.

Aredetachable magazines controlled?

The provision says; “in order toacquire a loading device a correspondent firearm authorisation must bepresented at the time of acquisition.”

Are semi-automatichandguns caught by the provisions?

Handguns fall outside this provision on the basis of capacity and thatthey are not termed to be “long firearms”.

Have soundmoderators been restricted?

Sound moderators have not been caught by the proposals. No changes arerequired for the UK.

What miffs me with regard to BASC is their opportunism to fleece us at every turn.

With the new regulations on air guns here, they straight away offer a course to become an expert. £100.00 for members and £130.00 for non members.

Now if you do not belong to an org.well fair enough. But to charge members a ton for something that should be a sticky,, ffs.....Money making .org.....:rolleyes: yes I am a member. john

Magazine restrictions are about as useful as expanding ammo restrictions....

I am disappointed in BASC "welcoming" the proposal, there isn't anything to be welcomed.

I believe the course you refer to is for club safety officers, not individual shooters, that will help clubs develop their clubs for more shooters to join etc

Perhaps oneeyopen you could expand on your point and let me know which of the changes you feel will impact on UK shooters compared to what was proposed?

I believe the course you refer to is for club safety officers, not individual shooters, that will help clubs develop their clubs for more shooters to join etc

Perhaps oneeyopen you could expand on your point and let me know which of the changes you feel will impact on UK shooters compared to what was proposed?

David, I can hear ACPO and chums right now..."even the BASC welcomes the new changes".

I was a member of BASC for around 20 years and in that time enjoyed a number of firearms that would now be affected by the magazine capacity restrictions and I have a number of friends that are BASC members and will be affected by the restrictions.

Last edited:

NO complaint re the principle or the course, where did that 'straw man' come from. It's the money making machine kicking in of which I complain. You sound like you support it, being as how it pays your salary!
Furthermore if the course is directed a 'club safety officers' why send all members the email.
I have no intention of having a debate with you David, you are who you are. BASC...john
As for changes, don't charge members at every opportunity for information that we should expect from our org. as a right.john

No one is making you or anyone else take the course, if a club has a safety officer that's up to the mark then no need to take the course is there? Plenty of info about free of charge if you want it,

What effect will the 20 round mag have on which aspects of shooting in the UK , given the two exemptions to this restriction as listed above?

What effect will the 20 round mag have on which aspects of shooting in the UK , given the two exemptions to this restriction as listed above?

Why does it always have to be about the UK - or even restricted to quarry shooters within the UK? Isn't it about time that BASC offered support to all shooters, whatever their discipline or wherever their location, whenever additional punitive legislation is proposed, instead of always "welcoming" it.

I can quite understand why some of our fellow European shooters are less than impressed with the attitude of some of the U.K. Shooting organisations at the moment.

Anyway back to the semi-auto issue, and quite possibly it's not been considered as it doesn't affect UK shooters. Irrespective of 20+ round magazines being banned how are the CF semi-auto rifles that could be fitted with them to be classified? I'm thinking about sporting SA rifles with detachable magazines, such as the Remington 750 etc. rather than 'black guns' (although prejudice based on appearance never ceases to amaze me). Reading the definition quoted it appears that those sporting arms will be banned as they can be fitted with high capacity magazines?

Last edited:
Back