Suggestions please: lamping 'sunroof' options

simonl

Hi,

I've got a old Discovery that looks as though it might squeeze through its MOT. I'm looking to cut a hole in the roof at the rear, big enough for two fat blokes to be able to stand up together without any cuddling.
Primarily for foxing with a rifle.

Main design goals:
1. Big hole - don't enjoy getting bashed up ribs whilst travelling
2. Cushioned edges
3. Covered over when not in use - ideally with the lid stored on board & rapidly deployable to allow warm travel between farms etc.
4. Waterproof cover capable of staying on for normal motoring

Anyone done anything similar?
Suggestions for the 'lid' ?
Any other words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance.

Look on the" Shooting show" they have a Disco done this way and works a treat.Big square hole and an adjustable height seat as were all different .You can get roof rails to use as a rifle rest and it looks quite stable .Theres doesn,t obviously have a lid but an oversized alloy square held on with rally type bonnet catches should be easy to set up atb

Hi,

I've got a old Discovery that looks as though it might squeeze through its MOT. I'm looking to cut a hole in the roof at the rear, big enough for two fat blokes to be able to stand up together without any cuddling.
Primarily for foxing with a rifle.

Main design goals:
1. Big hole - don't enjoy getting bashed up ribs whilst travelling
2. Cushioned edges
3. Covered over when not in use - ideally with the lid stored on board & rapidly deployable to allow warm travel between farms etc.
4. Waterproof cover capable of staying on for normal motoring

Anyone done anything similar?
Suggestions for the 'lid' ?
Any other words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance.

Go and find a scrap Daihatsu for-track and cut the roof off, then you can unpick the sunroof. They are huge, as a panel beater I would run a slitting saw to leave a nice flange and you could quite easy pop rivet the fortrak roof on top of your wagon and water proof it.

Tim.243

look out for an old pop out sunroof cut out the flange fitting use this as you template sorted water proof hole or bunny bashing hole few or on flee bay £25 and up its an easy job to do

:doh:beaten to it by another old panel beater :lol:

Last edited:
look out for an old pop out sunroof cut out the flange fitting use this as you template sorted water proof hole or bunny bashing hole few or on flee bay £25 and up its an easy job to do

:doh:beaten to it by another old panel beater :lol:

Oi less of the old lol:old:

Tim.243

Go and find a scrap Daihatsu for-track and cut the roof off, then you can unpick the sunroof. They are huge, as a panel beater I would run a slitting saw to leave a nice flange and you could quite easy pop rivet the fortrak roof on top of your wagon and water proof it.
Tim.243

Sounds good. I've googled it to death, but can't seem to find a photo of a 4trak sunroof. Is it a large glass sunroof? Sliding or hinged? Manual I hope, not electric?

Sounds good. I've googled it to death, but can't seem to find a photo of a 4trak sunroof. Is it a large glass sunroof? Sliding or hinged? Manual I hope, not electric?

Its manual, they cover the whole of the front two seats of the 4trak. You could crack it open or remove the whole sunroof bit. Took seconds to remove/ replace.

Its manual, they cover the whole of the front two seats of the 4trak. You could crack it open or remove the whole sunroof bit. Took seconds to remove/ replace.

There is a large frame with 2 lugs on the front long side and a over centre clamp in the middle of the back long side, the front locates on the lugs and the chrome clamp hooks into a fitting and snugs it down to make the seal.
The panel is a type of fibre glass, what we did was to take it off as we come on the farm then re fit it as we came back out to go on the road.

If you are half handy then it will be a good project giving you what you need. The frame is very close to full width of a 4trac so even if you have eaten all the pies you and your mate will fit!!

Google the 4trac owners club!!

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...qWovOE2xKXMgWBydg&sig2=uldTuExVelyX5RATO4pZjw

Better still Google car breakers/exporters

Tim.243

Last edited:
There you go........43x24 in old money

4Track Roof

Big enough for any Cornish man to fit through.
003_zpsqyox9kcy.jpg

Tim.243

Looks ideal. Many thanks for the help and explanations. All I need to do is find one locally...

Back