Thread: My Intro

My Intro

Hello everybody

My name is Jason. I live in Magor, S.Wales and I'm a complete novice stalker, about as novice as they come.
    I'm a part-time gamekeeper on a comparatively small pheasant and partridge private shoot.
    Have shot from my left shoulder for some years with the shotty but whilst I've practised with the .270 setup, have put 2/3 shots inside the 4" circle my first time out, then my mate suggested shooting from the right as I'm right eye dominant.
    You wouldn't believe the difference, I never. First 3 shots were sub 2" at 100m, then I put another three at a clean target and put them sub 1" at same distance. I'm converted

I've been studying the Bds manual for a few weeks to learn as much as possible before I enrol on a Dsc1 course, which I'll be doing with a friend from work. We've both applied for our Fac's to obtain a .243, myself for Fox/Deer. I've been trying for a few weeks to get onto the course run at Eskdale by phone and emails but all to no avail. I can't get any response there whatsoever, which to me seems a bit wierd so my search has taken me to look at a venue called Barton St Davids...Does anybody have any knowledge of this venue and the quality of training there?
    I've bought several books, the new Deer & The Laws, Roe Stalking and one other by Richard Prior plus a few Dvds, From Field to Larder by Chris Howard and some great ones of roe stalking in Hungary, Dorset and Scotland.
    Ok, well thats enough about me. I won't bore you anymore(defo no punn intended)

Signing off.

Dirty Antler

Welcome to the site

Hi Jason,

No such thing as a part time keeper

I did my DSC 1 at Agriculture College Cirencester, great course some very knowledgeable guys helping out (Steve Bowers, (shooting times) gave me some excellent advice on my rifle). We used the range at Severnside so a mere stones throw from you. Would recommend to all.

This is the site for knowledge and picking brains, some realy knowledgeable guys on here.

Thanks for the welcome.
    You're right there, the owners(as nice as they are) want it run as a full-time shoot but without the baggage that comes with it. I don't mind though, not much anyway. It does have it's perks
    I'll definately be asking lots of questions to the members. As soon as the front page came up, i thought, yes, this looks the right place for me. I'll have a look there, should find it on the internet.
    Well thanks again and look forward to lots of posting.