Polar Bear

Konnari

A local farmer in Iceland shot a nice Polar Bear last night....the bear was giving his horses near the farm too much interest !

898037.jpg898039.jpg

I had NO idea there were Polar Bears in Iceland! Iceland is not even inside the Arctic Circle! How did it get there?

I had NO idea there were Polar Bears in Iceland! Iceland is not even inside the Arctic Circle! How did it get there?

They come swimming from our neighboring country Greenland and some just come on drifting Icebergs !

Handy extraction method. Have used similar for reds in the past. Question is what do you do with the carcass?

Wow our nearest Iceland is in Andover.
I must have a look next time I visit, not seen one so far but I'll keep looking. :eek:
If I do eventually see one, I hope it hasn't got teeth like this one or I will be in trouble.

I can't imagine it's mood would have continued to improve with that broken canine. Better out of the way.

Novice

I spent a happy summer bivvying on the ice caps of Svalbard. We decided the pulk sleds were too heavy so needed to ditch either the radio or the rifle. Rifle got left behind.
I've often questioned the wisdom of that decision since

Would be interested to know where it was shot and what with as there seems to be no obvious Bullet wounds in the usual places ?
Did they just hit it on the head with the bucket from the tractor ?????

Tony

Would be interested to know where it was shot and what with as there seems to be no obvious Bullet wounds in the usual places ?
Did they just hit it on the head with the bucket from the tractor ?????

Tony

The news paper says it was a heart shot and the bear was dead in his tracks.....this is the 3rd polar bear this farmer gets on his land since 2008 and if I recall correctly he used 30-06 last time.

here is a pick from 2008........same farmer !
13776048.jpg

Last edited:
I know the broken tooth suggests it was a mature animal, but I thought they were bigger than it looks in the pictures.

Back