Honesty boxes

weeman

So it's starting to very much annoy me that people don't respect honesty boxes. I sell my eggs and like to use a honesty box payment scheme. It's not rocket science or mega bucks. However it's starting to really annoy me folk not parting with £1.50 for six free range organic eggs. I live in the centre of a nature, a ssi site of Natura England have all right. The amount of comments I here around where folk take eggs for free or put 50P in is some what rude, arrogant and tight. I'd they rather take them for free. Where is today's respect or good will. I even hear don't take green shell ones, or dark brown ones as they may be off. Numb assess little do they know. We have a large awray of honesty boxes from milk, fruit and.eggs within my village on offer. Pay an honesty fee you buggers!!!

Farmer near here who did honesty box for eggs got rid of it because muppets kept taking all the eggs without leaving the cash, not even 50 pence, as you say weeman tight buggers.

Scoby270

Stick a trail cam up for a few days to catch the tightwads, then remove the trail cam and leave copies of the dishonest help themselves without paying individuals for all to see. The honesty box might then have a bit more honest money inside it!

We sell eggs at the end of the drive with an honesty box too. £1 per box.

The only time we've been short (someone left 80p) we had 20p dropped off in an envelope a couple of days later apologisng that they hadn't had enough change at the time, and thanking us for selling such lovely eggs !

So it's starting to very much annoy me that people don't respect honesty boxes. I sell my eggs and like to use a honesty box payment scheme. It's not rocket science or mega bucks. However it's starting to really annoy me folk not parting with £1.50 for six free range organic eggs. I live in the centre of a nature, a ssi site of Natura England have all right. The amount of comments I here around where folk take eggs for free or put 50P in is some what rude, arrogant and tight. I'd they rather take them for free. Where is today's respect or good will. I even hear don't take green shell ones, or dark brown ones as they may be off. Numb assess little do they know. We have a large awray of honesty boxes from milk, fruit and.eggs within my village on offer. Pay an honesty fee you buggers!!!
At least they left 50p. Around here they would put in 50p and take £5.00 change!
The days of trusting the public with honesty boxes are gone and a great shame it is too.

At least they left 50p. Around here they would put in 50p and take £5.00 change!
The days of trusting the public with honesty boxes are gone and a great shame it is too.

Greed and dishonest behaviour.
Why o why this shame full act happens.
Because of this shame full act I've been whisking my surplus eggs and feeding back to my hens. Been collecting my eggs now for five years and never get bored great excitement every time.

When out driving around the countryside we often see signs up stating Free Range Eggs.
How would a foreigner know that it didn't mean, Range Eggs for Free or any thick t*****t, as there are a lot of them about these days, thinking the same. :rolleyes:

Yep, stopped selling our eggs on our bridge on the canal footpath. Had many eggs taken with no payment, then someone nicked the box with 3 or 4 quid in it. It really shows the poor state our nation has become. I doubt very much any of those who took the eggs or money could not afford to pay. They probably on holiday on a boat, or even on their own boat and see no problem in taking the eggs. They don't even recognise it's stealing.
And yet if any of them were truly hungry or short of a couple of quid to buy a meal, I'd give them a feed.

I've received such warm welcomes by people all around the world, who have fed me, given me places to stay, loaned me cars etc. With that I find great pleasure in doing the same for others, but when these low lives act in this manner it knocks your faith in human decency and it's easy to withdraw your own generosity. However I now just become a little more selective in who I extend my good nature too. However I'd urge you guys to continue to have faith in there still being other decent folk out there and not let these buggers pull us all down to being miserable grumpy buggers.

My thoughts are that when someone is nasty or does something dishonest, the same thing will happen to them in due course.
The only thing I do regret is that I won't be there to see it, much is the pity ;)
By the same token, I feel that if I do something good or help somebody, the feel good factor that I feel at the time is often reward enough but sometimes when I have a bit of good luck I feel that it is a result of me being good in the past.
Mind you, when one of my dogs ate some poison and died and the other had a stroke within a short period of that and died and my wife had a stroke, I really had to think back to what I had done to deserve that stroke of bad luck but then I thought maybe it is 'something in the bank' for when the time comes in the future that I will do something really bad to somebody, it hasn't come yet but I feel it may :evil:

Last edited:
Hi We travel up to loch Ewe quit often with work. Always stop of for eggs on way home, small fridge at roadside collect a dozen eggs and leave money in tub. Best eggs ever. I would hate to see this stopping because some people don't pay.
Jim

blimey thought we were the only ones to have non payers for eggs we took our shed down for a while but genuine people missed out and were persuaded to do it again this time though we put up a lock box and camera you would think in a small nit community this sort of thing wouldn't happen, atb wayne

We live in a society where scum steal lead off church roofs and chalices from inside,
where old ladies are mugged, pensioners scammed at their doors, charity boxes stolen from shops,
fast food dumped by the roadside, fly tipped rubbish, war memorials desecrated,
(oh and not to mention high seats, electric fences, feeders, and strimmers nicked from shoots.)
we were brought up to be honest, law abiding, work hard, not make litter, respect others.

Sad if you have to stop selling them. I've stopped by a stall a few times and realized I hadn't quite enough money...and not taken any. I thought that was what people did.

I've used honesty boxes , if I didn't have enough change I'd return the next day and leave the difference with a note.

it's just how I was brought up

We sell eggs at the end of the drive with an honesty box too. £1 per box.

The only time we've been short (someone left 80p) we had 20p dropped off in an envelope a couple of days later apologisng that they hadn't had enough change at the time, and thanking us for selling such lovely eggs !

Thankfully this is my experience too.

Honesty seems to be one of those old time values that a few of us hold to but most seem to have forgotten or laugh at.
their loss when they are stuck and no food, help or shelter is offered....sad

I've been running an honesty box for eggs outside my house for 3 months. I think it helps that its right by my lounge window coz I've not had any stolen and I leave eggs out all night. I even had someone leave a £5 note and mine are £2 a dozen!

Back