.270 load advice

BIG DADDY

Evening folks

I have recently acquired a .270 win that I am looking to reload for. I have h4831 (not sc) and 130 grain nosler partitions. Would anyone be kind enough to offer me some advice on powder weights and case oal etc to save me a little time, money and hair! (Rifle is an R8 with standard barrel).

Many thanks

Euan

The Americans say H-4831, .270 WCF, and 130 grain bullets are like 'apple pies and ice. cream'. Made for each other in their view. I think most replies will advise 58 grains. But my advice is see what Hodgdon's website advises as a starting load and work up using good reloading practices.

57.3 grains of H4831 in my old Parker Hale with 130 grn Speer grand slams works a bloomin treat. Shoots flat out to 265 yrds.
Tusker

I use 54gr of H4831 and 130r sp in my A-bolt. Sweet load out to 200 (so far), soft on the shoulder AND rifle, I get an extra 16 rounds per tub, and I've yet to see a bullet bounce off any deer. Col is 3.18", no crimp, and I use CCI primers

Last edited:
anyone else's data is of no value as a point of reference in your rifle
use the load range from the powder manufacturer and work up something that matches your criteria

you are on the right track though with good solid component choices
what brass?

anyone else's data is of no value as a point of reference in your rifle
use the load range from the powder manufacturer and work up something that matches your criteria

you are on the right track though with good solid component choices
what brass?

Thanks for responses so far. Currently using Remington brass.

Hodgon powder H4350 150g head. Used the same combination in 2 of the 270's I have had and never let me down. Good round for Sika and Red.

But other deer legal calibres will also kill providing bullet placement is correct.

start at 57 grains and work up. In a long throated Remington I gone to 62, most book maxes are at 60.

Book start safe 54 and 56
57 is too high to jump right in without some charge levels below IMO

I run 55.5gr of n160 which is similar in charge level range and burn rate, works very well in my rifle

no need to drive them at 3150 fps at book max
look at the projected mv from each charge level
run single shots of lower charge levels in 1/2gr increments to test for pressure only before you jump right in to 57gr

Book start safe 54 and 56

Bewsh, I followed your advice last year and did exactly this. I loaded a few rounds from 54gr of H4831 up to 58.5 (or was it 59? I can't remember now. I was still under the 60gr Lee states as the 'Never Exceed') Anyway, the 54gr loads shot superbly, with the groups opening up until I reached the max' I'd loaded, whereby they tightened up again. I figured there was no point in using a 59gr load if a 54gr would give me the same results for the distances I shoot at, AND give me an extra 16 rounds per pound of powder, as well as being easier on the barrel. Like you, I see no point in loading to maximum performance as I just don't need to. 130gr Sp leaves minimal carcass damage on roe, and also has the grunt for reds at sensible ranges

Back