Ranger Conversion

Ferryman

Hi

I am finalizing the design of a dog box with rifle storage draw underneath and wondered if anyone can give an idea on depth needed to accommodate a Tikka Hunter with DPT over barrel moderator ?

I figure a 5" deep draw should work, there is plenty of width to accommodate the scope.

Any help gratefully received

Good point but the draw would be a totally desperate entity with rubber gasket between crate and steel or aluminium draw.

A lockable draw on top would be visible from the outside, where as one underneath the crate would not.
Maybe just overkill in respect of securing the rifle/shotgun whilst in transit.

I would have a concern ref dog pee seeping into the lower tray how about putting the tray up on top?

If a dog is forced to urinate in its transport box/ sleeping compartment I`d have serious concern for its welfare and treatment by its owner.. Feck the rifle..

No worries there Scarlet my current dog box has cooling fan and animalarm temperature monitor as well as normal drinking water.
His welfare is paramount.

Very good Ferry.. You`d be surprised by how many so called dogmen leave there hunting companions contained with the expectations of there bladder being the size of a beach ball.
Loose them out for intervening periods guys.. ;)

No worries there Scarlet my current dog box has cooling fan and animalarm temperature monitor as well as normal drinking water.
His welfare is paramount.

Is is that setup from CAB? Thinking of getting a twin charge system for mine.

Hi Paul.

No. My current box is a Lintrans in the back of a Subaru Forester.
The fan unit is a Lintrans supplied one.
The Animalarm monitors the temperature in the crate and sends a text warning once it reaches a pre set high or Low.
Amazing how the rear of a vehicle heats up in slow moving traffic or in a traffic jam even with air con running

Sounds similar to the one I have seen by CAB. Great idea but they will only supply the system with their boxes!

I have a client with the truck vault system installed in his fancy Discovery. Very comprehensive system with the dog box on top - a special water dish that has a reservoir - and plenty room underneath for his gun (he's not a stalker) and loads of other stuff. Double locked etc. It's the bolt on the rifle that sticks out and you need the extra space for. I just built a s<%t system in my ranger where I put the rifle in a case under the raised floor. The carcass tray sits on the floor. At the back I have a raised shelf on rollers I can pull forward to get to "stuff". It is utter c$€p but it does me.
Good hunting.

Sorry Paul, haven't looked at this for a day or two - or more. I'll text him now and see what the story is. Very swish I can assure you.

I take it it is in the back of the ranger u want it? Not in the back seats FC ranger stylie.

Some very good dog box combos out there now, but bloody expensive. Trans k9 do them as well. Most of the companiers that make top end dog boxes make some cracking combos now if u can afford them

Depends how flush u are and how smart u want it to look and how handy u are
But the first 1 i made i used floor board on top of the wheel arches with some 2x2 framed supports in below and adapted a folding timber dividing wall so space could be halfed for dogs/tools or 1 bigger space. i even lined it with kingspan to keep the dogs cool/warm.
Looked ruff as hell but was really practical.

U could slide waterproofs, tools or guns in below on some chip board sliders (draws with no sides) i then put a combination bolt on inside of tailgate so u could not drop the tailgate down so guns etc where perfectly secure as timber sheet was tight on to tailgate.
I actually never used to bother looking the glass hatch even if guns in as they were so well hidden and secure, plus the glass would be so easily broken or crappy lock forced.

My next version was slightly better looking (althou not much) this time i bought timber for it instead of scraps.
Must admit miss those pick ups as was great for the dogs and managing/seperating tools/ dogs and other folks dogs on shoot days etc

@countrryboy No this is inside, back seat etc removed as FC but mine will have a draw underneath the dog box.
From what I could see of the FC ones the space for the dog was dictated by the Bratonsound gunsafe being next to the box rather than underneath.
This way I can have a full W48"XD30"XH30 box sitting on top of the rifle draw, dog access is from either end.

when had my ranger , I made two side cabinets one that was made to take long rifles and the other to take any other bits and bobs you may wish to carry the middle was left full size to the size of a large dog box , all the boards were placed on top of thick rubber to stop shacking the kit held within to bits ,I also added a split charger 12v 1200 inverter for 12v and 240 power . The box or what ever you needed to carry could with ease be slid out or back in for cleaning or just to let you do the B&Q run lol

Good job i asked then ;)

In that case u should have a bit of space between the footwells and front seats? I'd mibee try to get something to fit in there. Or simply just slide a slipped gun in there and not bother with a shelf at all. Think i'd just put a level bord down where the seats should of been and see wot space u have around under it. It should expose areas that would be easy to put chains/clamps to secure any guns to save hassle of a custom gun cabinet/secure drawer, esp if u gun ws in an airport gun case type thing
Think most of those fancy dog box companies do custom builds, u tell them wot u want and they build it.

A cheaper option may be to go to a local agri blacksmith type fella (wee shed full to brim with junk rather than a glossy tractor showroom) and see wot he could do, some really aren't bad to pay and pretty handy.
U could almost do it urself some thinner metal and a bag of rivets if ur not wanting up to BS kitemark standard for security

chains/clamps to secure any guns to save hassle of a custom gun

This is what I do now with the freelander I use thin plastic coated wire the none cut able gear and loop it vie the mag wells to a big chain that wraps around the seat fixings Motorbike type chain and pad locks to fix them in place cover with my kit happy days I carry the bolt in a bolt slip so unless iam in the car they are separated .

Back