Lungs

tom

Morning , shot this roe Buck this morning , healthy appearance and normal behaviour .
All the glands were fine , carcase below weight for age of Buck .
However the lungs were stuck to rib cage . I have experienced this in the past which
usually a sign of pneumonia .
However the lungs were covered in these legions .
I have an idea but would like some other opinions please ?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 288
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    20.8 KB · Views: 243
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 216
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 212
I would have said TB as well - Never seen it in the flesh myself (so to speak!) but as I understand it from what I've read lungworm apparently displays as larger grey/white lesions which are hard to the touch whereas TB displays as abscesses throughout the lungs which is what this looks like.

Are the lumps hard or soft?

The DSC1 guide says that any abscesses must be treated as suspected bovine TB so samples have to be taken and sent to the AHDO.

Last edited:
I have notified the vets and they are picking up the lungs .
We have TB all over the p,ace but I have shot a lot of roe on the estate over the last 12 years and never had a case before !
We will see what the results are !
Thanks
guys !

Ive never heard or seen a lungworm infestation causing the lungs to stick to the rib cage. Has anyone else?

I posted a picture on here of a red stag a couple of years back hat was similar although not as bad which was slightly adhered to the ribs and the vets consensus was lugworm

I posted a picture on here of a red stag a couple of years back hat was similar although not as bad which was slightly adhered to the ribs and the vets consensus was lugworm

Edit that, ignore please I have just checked my old post and catagorically no adhesion to the rib age so definitely consider TB. Apologies.

Any inflammation on the covering of the lung (pulmonary pleura) can result in a similar process on the lining of the thorax (parietal pleura). The pleural cavity is between those two. Any inflammation of the membrane is pleurisy

Ok . How about this for a service ? A guy came from the animal health unit yesterday at 10 am and picked up the pluck . Filled out a form with all the details etc ,.
4 pm I got a phone call from vet saying he didn't think it was TB !!! He had done a prelimary test and didn't think it is . They are going to do other checks however but thought it was a tumor that had spread .
Bloody good effort I reckon !

Ok . How about this for a service ? A guy came from the animal health unit yesterday at 10 am and picked up the pluck . Filled out a form with all the details etc ,.
4 pm I got a phone call from vet saying he didn't think it was TB !!! He had done a prelimary test and didn't think it is . They are going to do other checks however but thought it was a tumor that had spread .
Bloody good effort I reckon !

I was going to say it might be a tumor that had spread. :lol:

Back