Thread: Visiting American gets his buck.

Visiting American gets his buck.

To cut a long story short, i donated my services free of charge, 4 outings over 2 days, all the lucky winner had to do was make a donation to the American conservation group Backcountry Hunters & Anglers the reason i felt i should do this i have hunted and fished there several times and wanted to 'give something back' (just to be clear, i have also donated my services to various hunting/fishing charities in the UK previously) and Dave N was the lucky winner.

So pressure on, he arrived from Chicago on Tuesday, first outing Wednesday morning.
    I noticed just the back of a deer, head down feeding, but we were close, very close, 25 yards away, i raised the sticks, rifle on top, and said i would use the call to get the head up, sod's law, up came the head, roe doe, then the kid came into view, hoping there would be a buck we waited, but to no avail, and eventually they wondered off, no wiser they had been observed from just 25 yards!
    (By the way, it would have been a safe shot 30 seconds earlier!)

So, no roe bucks seen, pressure building for me.
    We met up again in the evening, off to what i consider to be my best place, it rarely fails me, as we arrived we clocked these 2 reds on the adjacent farm, they will keep!

So we made our way very slowly to my calling spot, sadly it was very windy, but i did try a few calls, and to the rear of us in the forest heard some noises, getting steadily closer, then a deep annoyed grunt, i suspected i knew what was going to show, and it did, 3 hinds with 2 calves, damn it, but it was a lovely sight all the same.

Pressure getting steadily worse, we met up yesterday morning at 04.30, first farm nothing, i am getting a little worried, second farm stalked around a few fields, nothing!
    So i drove us to a high vantage pointed and started to glass, i immediately saw a roe buck in the tram lines of the wheat field, about 600 yards away, but getting a stalk on would be nigh on impossible (Dave never did see what i was looking at!) except by using a call, which was an option as there was almost no wind.

However, someone was looking down on me, i noticed a doe run across a field much closer, she disappeared over a crest, i kept my bino's glued on the field, sure enough, a roe buck, nose to the ground like a tracking dog, went over the same crest.
    Jumped in the truck, accelerated up to the red on the rev counter, and swung into a gateway, jumped out, ran, yes we ran, what wind there was was in our face, slowed and stalked in, saw the doe first, feeding happily away, then getting bothered by the buck, she ignored his amorous intentions and he jumped into the wood! Damn and blast!
    But 2 minutes later out he came for a 'portion' but he didn't get the chance, 130 yards off the sticks, cracking neck shot with the .243, pressure off!
    One very happy yank with a slightly unusual head (deer head, not Dave's head!), a little button showing, which i have just prepped as a rush job as he flies home shortly.
    The amazing thing was, on the way home i had to perform an emergency stop, another roe buck jumped from the hedge, across the road and onto another of my permissions, so that was 3 seen in the space of 1 hour!

Last edited by devon deer stalker; 22-07-2016 at 11:33.
    Deer stalking and fly fishing opportunities in Devon

It's great to hear that all came good in the end. Well done and congratulations.

Thank you for sharing and well done on all counts - Fellah must have been buzzing with the excitement!

Well done, I know the feeling of the pressure. My American friend (who I have hunted with several times in Idaho) came over and we stalked on the syndicate estate I had at the time near Stranraer, fortunately he got a roe buck and a nice red stag. Phew what a relief and he was very happy.
    Good luck with your U.S hunt later in the year.