Press

Which press do you already have? for rifle ammunition the Lee Cast Breech Lock is excellent value for money.

I brought an RCBS Rock Chucker Pro back from the US last year (very cheap!) and the only thing it gets used for is de-priming and full length sizing cases.

Nothing wrong with doing it on my Lee breech lock but I've fitted a case ejection system onto the RCBS which really speeds things up when you're doing a lot of cases.

Case ejector system for RCBS Rockchucker single stage. | Inline Fabrication

What press would you all recommed, im using a lee atm, but looking to get a second.

TIA

Depends what you want it for. I have a Lyman Crusher II press that is ideally suited to the longer cases like .30-06 where a Lee Turret Press is not quite tall enough when bullet seating. For rifle cartridges the Lyman is excellent. For pistol brass that requires more batch quantities I could do with a Dillon progressive, the Lyman makes them perfectly but it is a slower process. I would not use a progressive press for rifle cartridges though.

have a rockchucker that's 15 years old and still going,

all my kit baring a20tac powder funnel is rcbs,

bob

Thanks for all the replies.

In essence im looking for another press to do the bullet seating or sizing. Will use the lee for one and the new on for the othet. The rock chuckers have a good rep, but wondered about the other options too.

Will get some competition dies as well for the 308...

Thanks for all the replies.

In essence im looking for another press to do the bullet seating or sizing. Will use the lee for one and the new on for the othet. The rock chuckers have a good rep, but wondered about the other options too.

Will get some competition dies as well for the 308...
Do you shoot a competition rifle?~Muir

Worth every penny. I currently have 2 Forsters on my bench along with two Dillon 650s. The Dillons I use for pistol mainly, and load short range 223(inside 500yds) and use them to decap my rifle ammo then finish on the Forsters. I have rcbs,lee,lyman, and other presses, but they reside under my bench and haven't been used in years.

Thanks for that, will have to look for a Forster! Out of interest do you use competition dies?

Last edited:
Currently not, but I want to be as precise as I can with every variable!
Forget competition dies and save your money for a good powder measure like a Jones or Harrell.~Muir

PS: Don't overthink this thing. I load 80% of my ammo, and that's a lot of ammo, on Lee dies.

Last edited:
Run a few sets of them but like Muir run LEE dies as well. The Forster presses floating system will make up to some degree for dies that are not concentric. Keep in mind with a Forster you need their lock rings for different manufacturers dies.

Get a Lee Turret press and a couple of extra turrets. I've got one that is 30yrs old and still giving as good a service as when I bought it.
I load my .223 to achieve 0.5 MOA (average). It does the: .222R .223, .243, 6.5x55, .303 British, .35 Whelen. All with a turret each. Each set to the correct depth. One press and no faffing about unscrewing one die and screwing in another.

Note: I do not use Lee dies as I've had too much trouble with them.

Back