Parker Hale as donor action?

Tom D

With so many of these out there for pennies why aren't they being used as donor rifles? I thought the PH was based on the Mauser design, so probably a decent action? is it just because they aren't stainless?

As some folk don't think they are a real Mauser. Which is odd as the Spanish action P-H used were made in the same factory that made, under licence, Mauser actioned rifles for the Spanish military.

I'm sure that if Kevin were still around he would point out that the Parker-Hale action is a Fabrique National (aka FN) from Liege, Belgium. One of the best modernisations of the M98, with most of the parts still interchangeable with the original. Used by Sako, Colt, Marlin, Harrington & Richardson, and Roy Weatherby in his early days.

As for using it as a donor action, it's old fashioned with a sloppy bolt throw, and in long action only. They are around in many calibres, and even the best seem to fetch only around £200-£250.

Would make a very nice basis for a good custom rifle. Rigby's, Westley Richards etc etc all used these actions in the late 1960's and 70's and built some very nice rifles on these.

what makes you think they are not being used?
Lothar Walthar do a pre threaded and chambered barrel specifically for it

The PH is more usually seen on the Santa Barbara action rather than FN but there are many traditional "African" rifles being built on them

there are better versions of the same action freely and readily available over the Santa Barbara though

A while ago , I think Ejg on here, wrote that the action is the least important part in a rifle concerning accuracy. ( Edi, don't shoot me if I use your name in the wrong way) . I know him a bit and know he's a very practical man. No nonsense. With least he mentioned after barrel quality and bedding quality.
Once there is a decent trigger for the action, I don't see why you should buy an over expensive action for a stalking rifle if cheap actions are around.

My tuppence worth is that the later Parker-Hales as far as I can tell used commercially produced actions. Have heard they were made in Spain and after all Spain has a huge firearms industry unlike we in the UK now. Spain was also the source of Toledo steel which at one time was about the best steel in the world.

So if the action is not damaged and is true why should it not make a fine rifle?

So if the action is not damaged and is true why should it not make a fine rifle?[/QUOTE

Because people are snobs mate.

yes some are and many more have been brain washed by slick advertising to pay mucho amount for a brand name! This is nothing new especially here in the UK. It ust shows how silly and easily influenced soem people are and this probably explains why as country we are in a mess as these people can vote as well.

I've owned and used quite a few PH mauser actioned rifles over the years . They make a great hunting rifle . It's a 98 , it will work reliably and with a decent barrel and trigger , will shoot right along with rifles that cost a lot more . I'm always surprised by the lack of respect these rifles get .

AB

I'm still using mil and civilian Mauser actions of various grades to bulid stalking rifles you either enjoy them or you don't.

So if the action is not damaged and is true why should it not make a fine rifle?[/QUOTE

Because people are snobs mate.
Spot on and lots seem to have more dosh than grey matter. My PH cost sod all, in fact after I sold the good quality scope that was sitting on it the price was £100. Then had it ceracoated, £180 = no rust, trigger pull 11/2 ILD the thing shoots plenty good enough for my capabilities. Let em keep spending, keep that rifle industry rolling and let the rest of us have good quality cheap weapons.
Also have a Sako but find the PH just as good.

I am often amused by the younger dudes that scoff at the 'sloppy bolt' M98's which illustrates their lack of their understanding and appreciation of the action which set the bench mark and has been used in various configurations by venerable Gunmakers the world over. I have a number of 'sloppy bolt' custom rifles and would not part with them in favour of modern over priced receivers. Btw, I do have 2 custom rifles built on the Pierce Eng Rem 700 clone actions, because I couldn't find and short action 'sloppy bolt' donor receivers.
Use the PH action I say, and spare no expense tarting it up with the best available barrel, trigger, scope mounts.

Mike.

The big problem with Mausers is there seem to be 50 million versions out there. I have not seen two that would fit in the same bedding, Next problem is that the quality of actions has a huge range. Some actions have hardening problems and lousy metal. In war times one was not that fussy.
I have a fantastic 1909 Argentino action which I built a custom rifle on and have a lousy US gibbs 270 that is just horrible. The gibbs is now bedded and will be an open sight bush rifle.
I have a standard way of building my hunting rifles, the main goal is to make a rifle that will shoot to the same point no matter how one holds it or from what shooting position. I never noticed a difference in accuracy between my Mauser actioned custom compared to Sako/T3/Remmy or Howa actioned customs built in the same way. the Mauser does have advantages and disadvantages over the others.
My 1909: Slightly more difficult to mount a rail, bolt handle must be changed so that it clears a scope, flag safety changed to at least a 45deg two pos safety.
Good points are: off the shelf chambered and threaded barrels that shoot fantastic by Lothar Walther (as Hales mentioned). Firing pin safety, two pos mil trigger can be tuned to be very useable. Huge amount of alternative triggers and safeties from Recknagel.

I know of one Mauser actioned F/TR rifle in Ireland. It holds or held a 900yd record.

Parker Hale not only used Mauser actions or? Thought I shot a Aussie Enfield in a hunting stock once.

edi

I know of one Mauser actioned F/TR rifle in Ireland. It holds or held a 900yd record.

You just reminded me of Big Bertha that I owned for a while
the smallest groups I ever shot with any rifle in any calibre were with that thing, Mauser action built by Fultons of Bisley in 308

IMG_1866_zpse9327ffb.jpg

IMG_1895_zpsccd53e63.jpg

IMG_2224_zps6f1b2fd5.jpg

I have a BSA CF2 in .223 and 6.5x55 that was made in the 1980s. I shoots 0.4 or less. The barrels are Tobler. It cost me $450au; no-one wanted it because it wasn't a Remington, Browning or a CZ, their loss.
My Martini Cadet actioned .222R was made in 1916. It still shoots 0.5 MOA. The barrel is a 1970s Shilen match barrel.

I have three

Two with stainless barrels fitted one with C/moly.
After market stocks and PRO bedding go well also.

They are a great platform,never let the ignorants try and persuade you that they are not the real deal.
My .358 NM is a real hammer and the PH action eats its energy with no fuss at all.

My Mauser 1909 Arg, 308 and in driven game set up. 1-5 mag scope.

DSCN7450.jpg

Mauser5.jpg

3 fowling shots after cleaning the barrel, 100yd off the hood of the car scope turned to max 5 mag.

mauser1909150gr3shot_zps0430aeb3.jpg

edi

Back