Thread: Randy Beats Scared.

Randy Beats Scared.

I went out this morning to see if I could connect with a roe buck; the day started well and I spied a roe in the field about 300 metres away, but couldn't be sure at that range if it was a buck or a doe. I shifted my position in order to get closer, and once I got a good look at it, it turned out to be a doe. All was not lost though, I could now see a buck working his way through an overgrown patch towards her. So, seeing as he hadn't seen me, I moved again and took up position behind a rusting over grown, long dead tractor and waited....... However, the buck wasn't in the mood to come out in the open, he was just casually feeding and generally bimbling about in all this rough stuff; but, he started to walk away towards the woodline about 50 metres behind him. Just before he got to the safety of the woodline he decided he'd have another bite to eat, so I gave a whistle to make him lift his head up and present his neck for a shot, worked a treat, up came the head, off went the shot, off trotted the deer, unscathed. Just as I was cursing my bad luck and carp shooting, the doe that I'd seen earlier decided she'd run up the field towards me. The frightened buck clocked her, forgot all thoughts of running off, and decided to give chase. By the time she passed me at a range of about 60 metres the buck was gaining on her, but she then slowed down to a walk, and so did he. I gave another whistle, and he fell for it again. Stopped in his tracks and looked straight at me. This time I didn't miss and he dropped in his tracks to a straight forward heart/lung shot.
    Note to self, stick to what works.
    Last edited by Harry mac; 27-07-2016 at 23:20. Reason: photo added
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    Note to self, stick to what works
    Neck shots work just fine if you put them in the right place

Glad you got your buck!
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care