Vacancy: Only Brain Dead Need Apply

deerpath

Vacancies > Stalker, Mar Lodge Estate Stalker, Mar Lodge Estate - Permanent - full time
VACANCIES-DEFAULT.jpg

Added to site: 18 July 2016
Salary: £17,160 rising to 17,772 on satisfactory completion of one year's service. Accommodation may be available.
Closing date: Friday 5 August 2016
Description
The successful candidate will join a team of 5 working with the Head Stalker in managing and enhancing the game resource and conservation activities on Mar Lodge Estate. This includes working in some of the most ecologically significant wildlife communities within the Cairngorms National Park.

The location of the Estate in such an area of environmental significance, as well as the high levels of public usage, means that the role is often employed in practical ways to manage the potential conflicts between these interests.

We are looking for an individual with a strong knowledge of both Red Deer stalking and Conservation Management. Experience in Grouse Production and Estate Maintenance would also be an advantage.

Please refer to the Job Description below for full details of this role.

Contact details:
Completed applications should be sent by email via workforus@nts.org.uk or by mail to People Services Department (Applications), The National Trust for Scotland, Hermiston Quay, 5 Cultins Road Edinburgh EH11 4DF to arrive by 10.00am on on Friday, 5th August 2016.

I suggest you take a look at "Deerpaths" recent posts. They will give you the measure of the man. Stalking is not his interest I would hypothesise.

I would agree with the previous replies. Very few are in it for the money (just as well !), and if I lived up that way I'd certainly consider it.

The title of this post is an insult, why share the advert if that is your opinion?
:lol: Come on fair play,,,, '' Brain Dead '' the Must QUALIFICATION , needed for National Trust employment

Last edited:
Having spent time in the company of the head stalker at Mar Lodge, not as a client, I can assure you that brain dead is something he is not, or I believe would not tolerate.

If I was able to have my time again I would apply for a role like that. And with the possibility of accommodation as well, I'd be all over that!

I agree with others though about the thread title - Why put something like that?

A few on this thread need not apply. For many this would be a dream job. Mar are doing something different, time will tell if its right or wrong. At least it has a direction and purpose these days. I've worked for NTS (albeit 30 years ago!) and if I had a few more quid behind me I'd be seriously thinking on this one.

It will be right for someone. I dont know the situation there but I have jobs in the past that makes this vacancy sounds like heaven

+1 the title of this post is very very poor, I do agree with GLYN 1 on this one. CAN YOU EXPLAIN PLEASE deerpath? this is not what the directory is about. YOU CAN EDIT YOUR POST BY THE WAY. ADMIN MIGHT WANT TO.

Last edited:
I will wear the title easily..give me the job!

Its not about the money is it....how many go to work for three times as much dosh and three times as much stress under the battery of fluorescent lights on the ceiling?

I'm afraid that I've never understood the anti-professional Stalker way of thinking on this site, it often rears it head in one way or another. Never come across it anywhere else.

About 10 years ago, my job title was 'Ranger'. I spent most of my working days on powerboats or landrovers, or with a chainsaw, shovel, mattock, or other tools in hand. Work clothes by 'Rohan', waterproofs by 'North Face' or 'Berghaus'. I worked 5 out of 7, earlies one week (8-4), lates the next week (8 hours in work, finishing time of sunset, so work hours moved through the year).

These days, I'm back in my degree qualification field. I'm a lab manager. No windows in a microbiology lab. I work Monday to Friday, 9-5. Occasionally work away (4-5 nights month), when I have to be down in London or Somerset. I earn 3 times what I did as a Ranger.

I hate it.

So much so that I'm handing in my notice in a few weeks, and going to go self-employed (notice is going to end just before my holiday late September). Plenty of work in this area garden maintenance, dog walking for people who are out at work for 12 hours a day. Mortgage all paid off, no kids, and we enjoy our simple life - we have a smallholding with 12 acres, chickens, 30 sheep, etc. I do a bit of keepering, and hobby pest control for a couple of local farmers.

As I said earlier on in this thread, if I was in the area, I'd apply for the job.
If that counts as 'brain-dead', then can I be first in line for a lobotomy ?

About 10 years ago, my job title was 'Ranger'. I spent most of my working days on powerboats or landrovers, or with a chainsaw, shovel, mattock, or other tools in hand. Work clothes by 'Rohan', waterproofs by 'North Face' or 'Berghaus'. I worked 5 out of 7, earlies one week (8-4), lates the next week (8 hours in work, finishing time of sunset, so work hours moved through the year).

These days, I'm back in my degree qualification field. I'm a lab manager. No windows in a microbiology lab. I work Monday to Friday, 9-5. Occasionally work away (4-5 nights month), when I have to be down in London or Somerset. I earn 3 times what I did as a Ranger.

I hate it.

So much so that I'm handing in my notice in a few weeks, and going to go self-employed (notice is going to end just before my holiday late September). Plenty of work in this area garden maintenance, dog walking for people who are out at work for 12 hours a day. Mortgage all paid off, no kids, and we enjoy our simple life - we have a smallholding with 12 acres, chickens, 30 sheep, etc. I do a bit of keepering, and hobby pest control for a couple of local farmers.

As I said earlier on in this thread, if I was in the area, I'd apply for the job.
If that counts as 'brain-dead', then can I be first in line for a lobotomy ?

^^ This. So much this.

I have worked at mar lodge for a number of years, aincluding the years of the heavy deer culls. The job is challenging, balancing sporting and conservation interests, but achievable. A great place to get a start in the industry, especially under Chris, the current head stalker. Again, I don't understand the title of the thread - there may be better employers, but there are also far worse. Good luck to anyone who applies.

Don't understand the title,its certainly not the best paid stalkers job, but its no worse than some, depends on what other
perks are included other than that its a typical stalkers job, Brain dead! I must be then as I was emp!oyed in similar jobs
all my working life,If I had my time over I would do exactly the same all over again,
Yes I must be brain dead.

Shot my first red stag (13 pointer) with Chris at Marr. He and the whole team were very welcoming and professional, plus when all the beasts were lardered both clients and the NT guys had a great time over a few drams. Chatting to them the pay is almost secondary with many of them working elsewhere out of season to boost income. Obviously client tips also help and are always appreciated. I totally respect the stalkers, who show great patience and professionalism every day, out in all weathers with often "difficult" or "expert" clients to try to please....!

Back