Chambering/Bullet For Boar

jamross65

I'm curious as to what the opinion is from folk who have used various chambering/bullets on wild boar, in particular 6.5mm.

I have the chance to go to Germany for boar next January. This is not going to be something I do a lot of, maybe a total of two to four days a year so won't commit to a dedicated boar rifle as the money is better spent on another deer rifle.

I have a 300wsm which I know would be perfect but will likely be selling it as it isn't used currently and takes up space and resources. I have a 6.5x47 Lapua that is now be my main stalking rifle. The question is would that 6.5 with say a 140grn Partition or similar not be suitable for boar?

I have zero experience with boar but plenty on deer and with a good few different chamberings and bullets. If the boar are all shot pretty close I can't see how a 140grn bullet would be considered borderline yet what I read online suggests in general it isn't considered suitable.

I'm curious as to what the opinion is from folk who have used various chambering/bullets on wild boar, in particular 6.5mm.

I have the chance to go to Germany for boar next January. This is not going to be something I do a lot of, maybe a total of two to four days a year so won't commit to a dedicated boar rifle as the money is better spent on another deer rifle.

I have a 300wsm which I know would be perfect but will likely be selling it as it isn't used currently and takes up space and resources. I have a 6.5x47 Lapua that is now be my main stalking rifle. The question is would that 6.5 with say a 140grn Partition or similar not be suitable for boar?

I have zero experience with boar but plenty on deer and with a good few different chamberings and bullets. If the boar are all shot pretty close I can't see how a 140grn bullet would be considered borderline yet what I read online suggests in general it isn't considered suitable.
Take the wizzer

Be aware of minimum ammo weight restrictions. Some places have a 10 gram minimum, so that would be a 156grain round in 6.5mm (which is 10.1g)...

Other might have a minimum calibre restriction, so you might need to take the .30cal anyway

I would take the .300 as well.
I am not saying you couldnt use the 6.5 lapua but its not an ideal round and I wouldnt recommend. your shot placement on a running animal going at up to about 40km/h would have to be spot on.
If that caliber is legal for boar there and you do chose to use the 6.5 use the heaviest soft point you can find and try to get some practice on fast moving targets. ( I am assuming you are going to shoot driven boar and not shooting static targets, if you are the 6.5 is fine.)

However if you do chose to sell the .300 before you go I would recommend getting out your 12 ga smooth bore if you have one and investing in a box or two of Sauvestre slugs that are very accurate at distances up to 100m due to their design.

Last edited:
Germany requires a minimum of 2,000 joules of energy at 100m from the muzzle. Also many areas - especially state lands - require non lead ammo.

If there's non-lead requirement and, say 9 gram minimum, you're in trouble with 6.5mm.

The usual advice to get heaviest softpoints available is kind of missing the point. What you want is bullet designed for driven boar, or other bullet that share the same properties. Desirable properties would be adequate penetration and generous blood trail. I don't have personal experience with 6.5mm 140gr Partition but it sounds like a good bullet for the job.

I've shot most of my boars with 260 Rem (rest mostly 308, 9.3x62) and to me your 6.5x47 sounds like good choice especially you being accustomed to it.

Be aware of minimum ammo weight restrictions. Some places have a 10 gram minimum, so that would be a 156grain round in 6.5mm (which is 10.1g)...

Other might have a minimum calibre restriction, so you might need to take the .30cal anyway

I'd heard the same as well, especially around the caliber required being at least .30 cal.

Never been after boar myself (yet anyways, its on my bucket list) but from reading comments on here, talking to other hunters and YT videos I've seen .308, .30-06 and .300 Win Mag being used and usually with at least 180gr head and quite often partitions as well.

I shoot a .308 and TBH if I ever go for boar it'll be stoked up with 180gr Nosler Partitions.

I'd be taking the .300 WSM when you go.

Brian, the vast majority of boar shot on driven hunts are under 100kg, likely under 70kg's.

If legal, a 6.5 will do quite well.

More important is the configuration of your rifle - heavy barrelled varmint style rifles are really not ideal. A nice light conventional sporter with a low mag variable scope is the only way to go.

A lot of people use a 270 all the top shots and advertisers, your best advantage is speed and shot placement with a 6.5, I use a 45/70 with a 300 grain protected point in mine . It's a show stopper. Shot a 156 kg 20.cm kieler last trip. To Poland bid and slow the way to go...

Back