QR mounts zero shift

Nobleman

How much zero/poi shift should i expect when swapping between scopes using QR mounts like Leupold, Maxima, Talley etc ?
Is there a preference between swing off mounts and clamp type mounts or is there not much in it, i think i could suffer 1/2" poi difference but not much more.

I have only one rifle with QD that's accurate enough and easy to shoot enough to reliably detect such small deviation. It's sporting ARMS #35QD on Barnard picatinny rail, and I've not been able to detect any zero shift.

I have also Warne QD rings on picatinny and Tikka rails. If there's zero shift, it's lost in other things like accuracy and repeatibility between range trips.

With weaver/picatinny rail you have to make sure you're using the same cross slot.

How much zero/poi shift should i expect when swapping between scopes using QR mounts like Leupold, Maxima, Talley etc ?
Is there a preference between swing off mounts and clamp type mounts or is there not much in it, i think i could suffer 1/2" poi difference but not much more.

A lot of the repeatability is how well the system is set up. There does need to be a degree of tension in the system to keep things locked together - definitely required in a swing or claw mount, less so in others. If you just through the bases on and then add scope it may or may not work well. Take your time and make sure it is all well fitted, possibly lap the scope rings etc etc and they will work very well. I think the talley clamp type mounts are probably much easier for the amateur to set up, compare to the Apel style swing off mounts where you definitely need to create tension in the system, and that needs experience. The Leupold QD stud style also seems to work well.

In terms of repeatability, on most sporting rifles a shift of 1/2" is well within the normal movement of POI just from differences in holding rifle etc. and even with solid fixed mounts I wouldn't worry about a 1/2" movement of zero for normal stalking ranges. I have a claw mount on one rifle and I have shot a 1 1/2" group with the scope removed and replaced between shots. I am confident that I can remove the scope and put it back on and it will shoot near enough to point of aim to do the job that it is meant to.

But with all QD mounts, it is better to put the scope on, check the zero and then leave it alone. By all means remove scope for long distance transport etc, but take a check shot or two before using it in anger on small targets at longer range.

,I asked this question of Mark Ripley (aka 260Rips on YouTube) last week and he was hitting a 6" steel plate at 300yards dead centre and said that was just after putting the scope back on a picatinny rail in what looked like Leupold QRW rings with no need to re-zero

I use Ziegler mounts, ok not cheap, I take my scope off every time I put the gun away, put the scope back on, and its in the same hole at 200yds never lost any zero at all.

I use Ziegler mounts, ok not cheap, I take my scope off every time I put the gun away, put the scope back on, and its in the same hole at 200yds never lost any zero at all.

I fully agree with gunner, I think they were around £450/480 I have them on my 375.

The EAW swing off mounts are superb, but expensive.

I have had the older factory swing off mounts on my 1952 and MCA Mannlicher rifles, and they went back to zero, but I did not remove and replace them that much.

I use Warne QD rings with great success on 7x64, .30-06, 7mm-08, .308 and .270 Win rifles. I had Warne bases and Leupold QRW rings on a Model 70 Express in .375 H&H, and they always returned to zero.

I fully agree with gunner, I think they were around £450/480 I have them on my 375.

I didn't pay quite that much when I had them fitted to my Chapuis but they are indeed very good and the only scope mounts that Bruce Potts found to be absolute return to zero when he did a test of quick release scope mounts in a Shooting Times test a couple of years ago. Before anyone mentions it he didn't try Blaser or the Mauser trident systems but he did try several well known picatinny systems and also the Apel swing offs. Most of those he found to return to within a half inch of zero so acceptable for most stalking ranges.

I won our local bench rest rimfire comp with a sake quad and Leopold qrw mounts and a weaver t36 scope. I have done tests at 25m . 5 shots on a target. Remove scope and repeat 5 times. With 5 , 5 shot one hole groups using eley tenex ammo. I would be lucky to detect a 1mm change in poi. There is too much bollocking about poi shift on qr mounts without proper bench rest equipment.

The Leupold QR mounts with dedicated bases are imo the best for repeatability

they dont rely rely on torque or rotational removal creating lateral variables

i use the on a Sako quad with four barrels and four scopes and don't check anymore
also use them on a .222 that I am building a custom rail for a pulsar thermal xd50 apex sight

they come straight out of a post style base with a cam action retainer
only variable can be vertical shift if something got between ring bottom and action base

Back