Ragley Hall Game Fair

I went today as well, and I enjoyed it. In particular the hounds parade, various gundog events and the Shetland pony grand national. Came away with a few clothes for the wife (how did that happen?!) a collar for my little dog and a big butcher's steak/dicing knife.
Take a packed lunch if you're tight like me, there's loads of food on offer but it's eye-wateringly expensive.

Good day out of you lie variety, but it's not the British Shooting Show so don't expect much of gunmakers row and the fishing village is more of a hamlet and a poor one at that! Not a patch on the GF's of yesteryear, but still a well organised day out, providing the weather holds.....

Alas smaller than the CLA of old, but hopefully a sound basis to build on. It was always going to be difficult with 4 replacement fairs in the offering at one stage, I just hope they get enough footfall to cover costs and secure the trade support and sponsorship required to carry on. My party of 5 enjoyed it and will be at Hatfield in 2017.

Alas smaller than the CLA of old, but hopefully a sound basis to build on.
My initial thought.
I just hope they get enough footfall to cover costs and secure the trade support and sponsorship required to carry on.
Let's hope so.
Plenty of room on the site for future expansion.
Managed to find somewhere to buy a DPT moderator in the end(A1 Decoy), and met Bill Evans.
Spotted Neil McKillop(I think) but turned to speak to him and he had disappeared in the crowd.

Went Saturday and also had a freebie ticket for Sunday, but we saw everything on the first day, so the freebie ticket was not used. Weather was good Saturday and we had a good day overall, but I agree with all the other comments that it is not a patch on the old CLA GF of old at Ragley. The fishing side was a disaster, almost nothing. I thought even gun makers row was vastly depleted, a fair amount of the "expensive" interesting companies like Holland and Holland etc were missing and there was not a lot of the smaller suppliers, other than clothing or just gun sales. I had a longish list to purchase and took the FAC, but only purchased 2 shirts and a cheap knife. We enjoyed the day but its not what it was. Maybe next years GF being closer to London at Hatfield house will attract more suppliers and the London names.

Thanks, to all, who posted. I had thought about going on Friday, held off until Saturday and then decided (coward) to see what others fed back on Saturday night. I didn't go and am not disappointed that I saved myself and the Missus £ 30 plus petrol. Thanks all for be honest enough in sharing your experiences.

Well that all sounds positive, glad I went stalking instead. At least the money spent on that was given to what I enjoy and not just going to yet another pay to enter shooting supermarket. Doomed.!:stir: Will be interesting to see who will be stumping up the cash next year out of the contenders.

i went and enjoyed it , certainly room to improve and grow but worth it for sure , as long as it's supported I can see it becoming great again.

As already said , I found the layout a little random and also lacking in places

but overall a good day out and managed to get a few things

Went Sunday with my piggy bank to buy a new bedchair......well what a waste of space the fishing village was. Came back with all my money shocking.....

Yet another pay to enter shooting supermarket. :stir:

Well may you stir the pot! TBH if that's all you go for you might as well go stalking. :D

Doing things, trying things, seeing things and meeting people are high on my list of things to go to a game fair for. Shopping is right at the bottom. The Game Fair ticked all the aforementioned boxes, and (just between us) I made some nice purchases too.

Some exhibitors were bound to stay away this year, but that didn't stop plenty of them attending in person to scope out the show, and I think next year's show will see it a full-sized event again.

We stayed from Thursday to Monday. The campsite was good, campsite bar was a cracker, toilets left a little to be desired. I notice the Ladies toilets in the show closed on Friday due to lack of water pressure.
There were as usual plenty of clothing on offer from £20 to £200.Along with all manner of shotguns. I saw one stand with reloading bits that was it. Fishing village was thin on the ground in comparison to previous shows.
Gundog demonstrations, falconry, ferreting, were all well received.
I'm not sure how many people realised when they booked the campsite or pre paid tickets they got a complimentary pass. We had two and saved on 1 day of entry.
The cookery exhibitions were very good. Mike Robinson and Jose Suto skinned a roe, cooked a nice haunch steak, and even My brother in law, who hates meat pink was salivating.
We also watched the Boar skinning demonstration. I had a couple of bargains, but unfairly basing it on previous CLA game fairs, now that they've secured the alternative Ragley, Heartwood House, it can only get better I hope.

I think they will get more support next year from some big names now that a winner in the race seems to have emerged...

Back