Pulsar XD50 (XD70) as daytime scope?

Coddy

I was looking into these scopes for Fox hunting and there is the obvious benefits for night time work.

But, how do these scopes stand up to being used as a full time rifle scope in daytime.
Reason for asking, would you normally fit a normal scope for day time (deer) stalking, then swap to the Thermal for night time, or could the Thermal be used in daylight without issue (probably little benefit of the Thermal side).

Do t think it's legal under any circumstance to shoot deer with say a digital device that can be used at night ....

Think this was covered bit back
Someone be along soon to confirm or correct I hope

Paul

Thanks Sauer.

Yes, im aware its not legal in Scotland to shoot deer with Digital at night. Does that also include day time?

I was planning using something like a XD50 for foxes at night but could be used on deer in day time, but if digital is illegal on all fronts for deer (day as well as night) then thats fair enough.
I was looking at purchasing a new .223 set up for foxing, that could be used in daytime as well, but didnt want to buy a Thermal Imager as well as a normal scope.

Yeah Coddy I believe it illegal day & night , but I'm not 100%
Mealiejimmys more up on this ..,.
Plenty more knowledgeable to confirm buddy
If looking for a semi decent
Day scope for little money have a look at fox firearms , father n son I believe & good to deal with .... I use a drone pro NV on my .22-250 but wanted a day scope for load developing & day shooting .... It's in a set of QD rings ... I swap between NV & day scope from fox firearms it's a 4x16x50 and was around £100 ... I wasn't holding much expectation & was very pleasantly surprised ...
Can go stalking last light ... Then have a flask of tea swap to NV & go foxing
I believe some guys beginning in F-class were using their scopes to start off with.

Worth a look

Paul

It's not legal to shoot any species of deer in Scotland with any type of night vision or thermal sighting device at any time of day or night.
iron sights or a telescopic sight are the only aiming devices permitted.
If you have a licence permitting you to shoot deer at night then a lamp and a rifle with iron sights or a telescopic sight is the only legal method

Cheers

Bruce

Cheers.
That scuppers my plan for using a Thermal Imager for daytime use then.

Will have to go with a plan B.

It's an interpretation of the wording and not definitive until tested as the act clearly indicates use of said technology for night shooting purposes but does not specifically indicate the use of nv, digital or thermal in day time

Using a digital device night vision/thermal during the day on deer is legal in England as far as I'm aware. Night time is a totally different ball game.

As is often the case, the law is different in Scotland than it is in England and Wales, and you are correct - it is not illegal to use NV or thermal gear to shoot deer during daylight hours in England and Wales
However, the OP is in Scotland so my reply reflects his location

It's an interpretation of the wording and not definitive until tested as the act clearly indicates use of said technology for night shooting purposes but does not specifically indicate the use of nv, digital or thermal in day time

Here's the relevant order http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1985/1168/pdfs/uksi_19851168_en.pdf
and I agree that the wording regarding day time use of NV or thermal sights is open to interpretation - I just don't think it's wise to advise someone it's legal to use thermal during day time when there is a significant possibility that they could be breaking the law

Here's the relevant order http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1985/1168/pdfs/uksi_19851168_en.pdf
I leave it to the OP to decide whether or not he should use his thermal scope to shoot deer during day time.
While I agree that the wording is open to interpretation as far as daytime use of thermal kit is concerned, I think it sensible to err on the side of caution when giving advice about this matter since there is a significant possibility that a test case would find such use illegal.

Cheers

Bruce

I leave it to the OP to decide whether or not he should use his thermal scope to shoot deer during day time.
While I agree that the wording is open to interpretation as far as daytime use of thermal kit is concerned, I think it sensible to err on the side of caution when giving advice about this matter since there is a significant possibility that a test case would find such use illegal.

Cheers

Bruce

Thank you for the objective post. A few weeks past I was asking after this technology I had no knowledge of that legislation. Another plus for the forum.:thumb:

As the OP, and from what i see, i will not be using one to shoot deer. As you rightly say and others are saying, its legal for foxing, but as yet in Scotland -illegal on deer.

I was hoping to have a Thermal scope on a .223 to cover day and night.
Looks like will just end up with a .223 with a Thermal for foxes and stick with my .270 for deer.

Back