dogs teeth tarta

bobjs

ok lads,

my wee best pal has had a food change from dry food to soft food (chappie) this is to do with his digestive issues,

now to to aid with his tarta build up I got him a few chew sticks, but they last about 30 seconds and they have gone, I mate has said try a bit of antler he said he will chew it and this will help or at least do some good with the tarta build up.

anyone done this with an older dog (10 human years)

thanks in advance

Bob and cozzy.

Ours get Dentastix which helps keep tartar down. Lots of salt in them though. Raw bones will help too. But to be honest, anything that gets him using his teeth properly will work. Best thing though, is to get him onto a decent raw diet. I don't know of any dog that won't benefit from that

My dogs are 8 yr old...NO tartar at all,reason?
They have chewed on venison bones daily/weekly their whole life.

ok lads thank you,

he suffers from pancreatitis so I have to be carful of what he eats, ( our I can find it on the kitchen floor not long after he has eaten it). hence the question of antler as he will not be able to swallow it but chew it with no ill effects,

failng that hat I am a bit stuck

bon

many people use antler but for short periods its very hard and can wear enamel away quickly short spells if you do !

many people use antler but for short periods its very hard and can wear enamel away quickly short spells if you do !

cheers Norma

i just want to try and get a grip of it without causing him further problems,

bob

Our two spaniels (10 &8) were costing a fortune in chew sticks, etc.. SWMBO asked her son who was a manager of the local Pets At Home what was available. He recommended a dog tooth gel by beaphar. We tried it and within two weeks their teeth were almost entirely clear of plaque and tartar.
It is very simple to use. Simply rub the gel over the teeth, being flavoured, the dog moves it around its mouth with its tongue. The older dog had some digestive problems requiring surgery some two years ago but that did not prevent the use of the gel. I am most impressed by its performance.

John

The best way to prevent tartar build up on dogs is to avoid giving them soft feed that breaks up easily. it pre wetted dry dog feed. If you have to feed them wet soggy feed then give them something chewy after to clean their teeth naturally such as bone/ raw hide etc. Even carrots would work if they like it.
A natural diet of meat and bone and skin would prevent tartar build up

If you can't feed raw
Just give him a bone from butchers couple times a week ....cleans his teeth gives him bit of marrow & it will keep him occupied for a hour here n there ..

Don't know about old dogs n antlers but I keep all roe antler I shoot & give dog a bit every so often .....again spotless teeth.

Paul

cheers guys

just in the Lake District and will get him some later today and see how we get on,

thanks for for all the tips.

bob.

Get him some rawhide chews I give them to my westies and their teeth are perfect also give them bones to chew
Ray

I let mine teckels chew on the huge raw hide pigs ears. They love them and keep the teeth like pearls.

Hope you are enjoying the sunny cumbrian weather.

Do dogs in soft water areas get tarta build up as bad as those in hard water areas? Water here is hard as nails!

If he's got hard build up on his teeth you can clear this with your finger nail. Then try him on raw carrot subject to stomach. Mine loves them.

Do dogs in soft water areas get tarta build up as bad as those in hard water areas? Water here is hard as nails!

If he's got hard build up on his teeth you can clear this with your finger nail. Then try him on raw carrot subject to stomach. Mine loves them.

cheers lads, the water at home is that hard it comes out the tap looking for a fight,

weeman I am on the way up later today, I'm in Selby with family then on the lakes for the whole of next week, :)

bob

Suppose the vet will give a scrape and polish if asked my old head keeper just used to scrape them with a blunt knife I have found feeding them dry biscuit once a week works, might not be an option for you though.

Back