How to make quad sticks

Splinter14

Evening all,

I am planning on trying to make my own quad sticks and was hoping to get some advice from others who may have done the same i.e what design/wood they used, what did they use to keep the set together chain/rubber/rope? Pics, diagrams etc all helpful.

Cheers

4x 2m b and q garden canes, metal tube covered plastic ones
4x 2mm X 25mm stainless bolts and nuts (nyloc if you can get them)
4x 6mm neodymium magnets
one shoelace fine strong or similar

bolt two pairs together at the bottom about 2cm up
tape the two pairs together and bolt the tops of two different pairs together about 5" down
drill four 6mm holes opposite each other just down from the opposing hinges top and bottom, epoxy a magnet into each one
tie a shoe lace between the top two hinges, adjust for length to accommodate your riflebetween fore stock and pistol grip

cut the last 3-4inches off the top of the pole one nearest your face when opened
pull the hung out of the off it and resent into the cut end

go shoot stuff

There are loads of ways to make them But i think the SD MONKEY STICKS are by far the best.It has changed the way i shoot,hunt and even zero check the rifle.Everybody should try them as they are by far the most stable you will get when shooting apart from a full benchrest.

4x 2m b and q garden canes, metal tube covered plastic ones
4x 2mm X 25mm stainless bolts and nuts (nyloc if you can get them)
4x 6mm neodymium magnets
one shoelace fine strong or similar

bolt two pairs together at the bottom about 2cm up
tape the two pairs together and bolt the tops of two different pairs together about 5" down
drill four 6mm holes opposite each other just down from the opposing hinges top and bottom, epoxy a magnet into each one
tie a shoe lace between the top two hinges, adjust for length to accommodate your riflebetween fore stock and pistol grip

cut the last 3-4inches off the top of the pole one nearest your face when opened
pull the hung out of the off it and resent into the cut end

go shoot stuff

A little bit to add with what I have learnt over time, if you use 5mm bolts then as will wear over time you can fit 6mm ones. The jump from 6 is 8 in standard metric which is a bit chunkey.

On the bottom joint if you stagger the holes ie 40 and 60 then it will leave each pair with one point on each side helping it find get a better grip when the ground drys up.

Tim.243

type in your search bar how to make shooting sticks,mine are as mark gilchrists quad sticks with a couple of mods and are absolutely solid,best bit of kit ive got and wouldnt be without them

Evening all,

I am planning on trying to make my own quad sticks and was hoping to get some advice from others who may have done the same i.e what design/wood they used, what did they use to keep the set together chain/rubber/rope? Pics, diagrams etc all helpful.

Cheers

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12296998/4%20sticks/4%20stick%20assembly%20instructions%2020101104.pdf see them being modelled below. Regards JCS

test%201.jpg

If you have ever made a tent in your front room as a kid out of string and bean sticks , Q sticks are about the easy't things to make ,

If this method was that good then all the current manufacture's (including Tony "litmus" ) would use it....

The inner tube will want to close the sticks which is fine once you have made a shot, using bolts or a fabricated hinge will have little or no resistance when opening....

The picture also shows there is no need for a bi-pod as the shooter is using sticks!!

Tim.243

A little bit to add with what I have learnt over time, if you use 5mm bolts then as will wear over time you can fit 6mm ones. The jump from 6 is 8 in standard metric which is a bit chunkey.

On the bottom joint if you stagger the holes ie 40 and 60 then it will leave each pair with one point on each side helping it find get a better grip when the ground drys up.

Tim.243
another add on Tim I use the fitting screws that join kitchen cabinets together,work perfectly with no thread damage. 5mm hole and a fixed length when tightened.
Mine were made from scrap, fiber glass flag poles from the golf club, pulled me out of many a peat bog,work a treat and made by a friend...View attachment 72825

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses, the monkey sticks look great and I will probably end up trying to make them. However, I had also been thinking about wooden quads.. IMPO they are more aesthetically pleasing and if they can give the same performance as other non wooden pairs then that's a winner. If anyone has any pointers on making a nice wooden set then that would be additionally helpful.

Cheers

Suggest you bite the bullet and get a pair from Tony on here, they will be made to your specifications and will be money well spent. They will take time to get used to but will become indispensible. I would be lost without mine, you can have either soft or hardwood versions.

D

Back