Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scotland advice?

Scotland advice?

A mate and myself are heading to Scotland end of October for our first bash a guided stalking on red stags.

Im afraid I'm scant on details at present, suffice to say we will be based in Dunoon.

As first timers any advice you can give on places to stay, kit and clothing to take etc?

Be sure to go before 21st October for a start......

Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    Be sure to go before 21st October for a start......
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

I have never stalked Dorset or dunnoon, so cannot compare, but it will probably be high and steep, so have good boots. There may be ticks, so have gaitors. Midges, they may have finished, but have repellent, it is not expensive, consider a midge net/hat. Have a hat and comfortable clothes, consider waterproofs. I always take a stick, it helps with the walking. Binnys are vital, so you can enjoy all the wildlife and of course your stags.
    Best advice is however from the estate.
    Basic advice but hope it helps

Start getting in your miles every day from now on. Even just walking the streets, in the nicest possible way, will do. Get the hours in and like somebody else said make sure your boots are very well worn in. Don't think about buying nice new boots the week before. If it's hill stalking I'd suggest a stiffer boot than you might think, but if you have boots you are happy with - wear them. Not wellies! If your feet are ok you're well on the way. Take plenty of changes of clothing, so that, if necessary, you can go out the next day in completely dry gear. Binoculars, camera, gloves, scarf or neck gaiter, gaiters for your legs, plenty midge repellent, plenty enthusiasm, plenty fitness.
    Good hunting.

Take whatever you would normally take stalking

and maybe some food , drink and good clothing as it might be nice in s carpark but it can be mighty cold / miserable up a mountain / on the hill

Seal skin socks are a must.
    And as said, midge repellent in case the little buggers are still on the go.

Oh, and if taking a wee dram with you in a hip flask to celebrate a stag, then proper Whisky is spelled as such and not Whiskey.
    Last edited by Coddy; 02-08-2016 at 06:37.

Think layers , and a bag to carry a drink & a choccy bar, mainly for somewhere to put layers your not using when getting a hike on , then when sitting waiting can get cold so layer back up .

A hat / beanie etc not heavy but just incase gets cold or weather comes in .

Oh and get fit now

If on the open hill good boots are a must, never wellies breeks are more comfortable on the hill than trousers if you have them, a pair of gaiters will also keep all the crap out of your boots.

Natural fibres are better than synthetic when you get wet or sweat and you will more than likely get both if you are on the hill for a week, a hat with a brim shields your eyes from the sun also stops your face reflecting the sun which is often what the deer see.

A stick not stalking sticks they are next to useless on the hill as shots are taken prone, but a walking stick does what it says on the tin, its an aid to walking and makes a huge difference on the hill.

If the estate uses an Argo or similar vehicle take as much gear as you like but leave most of it there, a spare set of clothes is not a bad thing to have to change into at the end of the day before making the long journey back to the larder,
    same with a flask nice to have a cuppa when you get back to the Argo, but a pain in the a@@@ to carry on the hill, take no more than you absolutely think you will need on the hill, stick something in your pocket that you can eat on the go
    sandwiches tend to get squashed when crawling and I have seen some unidentifiable messes produced from pockets
    Mars or Snicker bars are good for energy as are some of the energy bars now produced,my usual was a pork pie and a couple of energy bars,pork pies seem to fair pretty well if a little misshapen at times.
    Drinks was always a little amused when clients carried bottles of water, water from a good flowing hill burn is safe to drink, I would not be so keen to drink from a lowland stream.
    Think about it where do the stalkers,keepers and shepherds get their water from, no mains water to their isolated abodes, but piped to their cottages from those same hill burns.

Buy some Avon skin so soft and put plenty on a good mesh suit is a must.