A memorable evening including my first Roe Buck!

It's been a while since I did a write up as quite frankly my stalking has been a bit anonymous lately but that all changed with a bang last night!!

I hatched a plan to try and call a Roe Buck in an area where I've seen activity as up to yesterday I still hadn't shot a buck. On this particular permission we have divided the land into zones as we have to txt about 10 people who live on the farm stating where we will be and at what time. Last night it was zone 2 which has a small spinney on the boundary and some rolling hills and large hedges where muntjac and roe have started browsing quite heavily.

I got parked up and started a plan of calling in certain spots around the field margins in the hope that a buck I've seen a few times would be interested. I've also seen a Doe with twins that I thought may be about with the chance that he wouldn't be far away.

I tried a few locations keeping the wind in my face with no luck until I got to a point where I needed to double back and drive to the other side of the field and approach the spinney where I believe they reside.

This was the starting point with the spinney in the distance.

Then a right turn at the end but still no joy!

On the way to the next calling spot I found what I believe to be a Roe ring so that looked promising and lifted my spirits! There were tracks in and out of the dyke where it looked like they had been going back and forth too.

I tried calling another couple of times until settling down about 150 yds short of the spinney on the left until last light.

I had only been stood maybe 15-20 mins when a Doe came out from the hedge into the field about 120yds away followed by the buck! That's when the heart started pounding and luckily for me the wheat has been laid flat, probably where they have been mooching around before. I adjusted the quad sticks and had to make a snap decision to take the shot with him quartering away just a smidge before he followed the doe into the longer wheat. The .308 delivered the 165gr round and he dropped on the spot. It's a good job a follow up wasn't needed as I was trembling like a leaf!! :D I think if I ever lose that feeling then that'll be the day to hang up the rifle! ;)

Just as I thought the evening couldn't get any better the Doe's twins popped out of the hedge along the grass while she was still in the wheat field. I had decided to take my camera as well so instead of just waiting after the shot, I thought I'd see how close I could get to them to try and get a pic or two while also keeping an eye on the shot site but I was confident the buck was going nowhere. Unfortunately my camera is not great in the failing light but as you can see I managed to get to within about 30 yards before the flash scared them off!!

After they and the Doe had had enough of my shenanigans I located the buck and I think you'll agree what a cracking chap he is too! Lovely summer coat in top condition, no ticks and a fine 6 pointer as a first buck!! It's the first mature Roe I've shot and after only shooting Munties I didn't realise how heavy they are to lift to gralloch!!

All I need now is to find someone reasonably priced to mount the head as I had always said I was going to mount my first buck and have it up on the wall. I have no idea what constitutes a medal Roe but regardless of that the memory of last night will remain with me for a lifetime!!

Cheers

Stratts

Hes a belter! Well done! Lovely Buck, Claire fowler at freedom taxidermy does some fantastic work, well worth checking her out...

Probably not got the length for a medal but more importantly he looks like an old one so perfect cull animal. Congratulations on your first buck, I wish I had the sense and funds to have had my first one mounted.

Well done bud. Took you long enough. Lol.
Like I said last night, if she don't like it hanging on the wall it'll look good on mine. :D

Probably not got the length for a medal but more importantly he looks like an old one so perfect cull animal. Congratulations on your first buck, I wish I had the sense and funds to have had my first one mounted.

Thanks fella's I have the sense but may not have the funds

Best contact her directly for prices, but I'd imagine around £350 ish.... They can work wonders patching holes, it's amazing what can be done.

Also, if you wanted I have a cape from last summer in the freezer which I won't be getting mounted..... If the hole is too bad.

Well done, thats a very nice buck. Did you cape it out last night? If not you need to do it asap if you are going to get it mounted.

Well done, thats a very nice buck. Did you cape it out last night? If not you need to do it asap if you are going to get it mounted.

No I thought it would be ok in the chiller overnight I had planned on doing it when I get home from work later and get in the freezer wrapped up well!

TBH I'll be happy with just the head and part of the neck as I don't have loads of room in the house for anything very big anyway! And it may be cheaper!!

Last edited:
It was a few years ago, but from memory it was £325, so £350 is probably about right.
She is a miracle worker, i asked my client before i gralloched it did he want it mounted, he said no just boiled out, i did a cut from base of neck up to the throat, then he said he changed his mind!
But Claire sorted it.
Cheers
Richard

It was a few years ago, but from memory it was £325, so £350 is probably about right.
She is a miracle worker, i asked my client before i gralloched it did he want it mounted, he said no just boiled out, i did a cut from base of neck up to the throat, then he said he changed his mind!
But Claire sorted it.
Cheers
Richard

Ha ha I bet you thought what a div!! I found it tricky to gralloch last night while still trying to keep the cape intact!! I normally unzip the munties from the arris to the chin!! :lol: Let's just say it was a good job it wasn't a DSC2 witnessed gralloch!! :doh:

No I thought it would be ok in the chiller overnight I had planned on doing it when I get home from work later and get in the freezer wrapped up well!

TBH I'll be happy with just the head and part of the neck as I don't have loads of room in the house for anything very big anyway! And it may be cheaper!!

You should be ok if you had it in the chilled overnight. Don't worry about the bullet hole but do remember to take the cape well back, I go behind the forelegs. Unless you are really keen, I wouldn't skin the head out, leave that to the taxidermist, just get it in the freezer.

Back