Thread: Marlin xl7

Marlin xl7

Hi all, has anyone got any experience of marlin? Especially in .270 win as is great value and gets quite a good review in general.

thoughts of the quality and any idea what ammo they like? Heavier or lighter grains?

Many thanks

I have posted some reviews here before. The XL7 and XS7 are bargains.
    I don't need one, but I want one, anyway. The Savage Edge and Ruger American are bargains, but when you look at the way Marlin took all these features from other rifles and blended them into a rifle at this price ($250 USD ), it beats everything, to my engineering mind. I might have to buy one and give it as a gift, just to scratch my itch.

XL7 in wood stock, .270 Winchester
    Marlin XL7 Hunting Rifle Review | Big Game Hunt

Details of all the design features, synthetic .30-06
    Bargain Beauty: Marlins XL7 Rifle

Original review when the rifle came out in 2008
    Marlin’s New XL7 Bolt Action Rifle

Many thanks for the swift response. I have recently bought one in .270

quality I think for the money unbeatable but might upgrade to a boyds stock to try and improve the groups. Haven't worked out if it likes 110, 130 or 150 grains best yet. Averaging 2 inch with 130 but not sure with the twist rate if it will prefer lighter or heavier?

any thoughts?

thanks again

Almost all .270s are 1:10 twist, and shoot everything from 100 to 150 grains with that. Like the Tikka T3, most Marlin XL7 owners find the rifle pretty accurate out of the box, but not with every single off-the-shelf ammunition. You just need to try some different brands of ammo, starting with inexpensive PPU, Geco, and Sellier & Bellot. Then go to vanilla Hornady Whitetail, Remington, Federal blue box, and Winchester, then Federal Fusion. After you find the 130-gr it likes best, try the 150-gr. You don't need to spend a fortune to find accurate .270 Win which will kill deer like lightning.