Farm sign

Looks to me like an accident waiting to happen. Two words that rarely go together are "common" and "sense"!

Brilliant!!!!:rofl:
I have to wonder just how many would have enough common sense to read the sign to start with?:doh:

Funny :D From what I have seen over the last few years, people ignore signs and just do what they want to. Far to many signs being put up and left, even when the "danger" is over.

Funny :D From what I have seen over the last few years, people ignore signs and just do what they want to. Far to many signs being put up and left, even when the "danger" is over.

Never a truer word spoken - Our DMG closed a wood this year, placed big yellow signs up at each entrance saying they were closed due to firearms being used and red/white ticker tape strung across the gates, yet we still had a couple wandering through the woods past stalkers in high seats!! Can't account for stupid/ignorant whatever you do!! :D

In my limited experience "keep out shooting/deer management in progress" actually mean come in dog walkers ,let fido off the lead and please keep off the footpaths:doh:.The gene pool is polluted and the dog walking branch is doing its best to become extinct

Never a truer word spoken - Our DMG closed a wood this year, placed big yellow signs up at each entrance saying they were closed due to firearms being used and red/white ticker tape strung across the gates, yet we still had a couple wandering through the woods past stalkers in high seats!! Can't account for stupid/ignorant whatever you do!! :D
Yes indeed. Put a sign up last year along the same lines and the first person who came along turned it over, therefore not only putting themselves at risk but every subsequent person who walked along that track at risk also! B@ll#nds!

Last edited:
Yes indeed. Put a sign up last year along the same lines and the first person who came along tuned it over, therefore not only putting themselves at risk but every subsequent person who walked along that track at risk also! B@ll#nds!

Stubborn and stupid is a combination that you can not do much about ,except eventually nominate them for the Darwin award ?

Yes indeed. Put a sign up last year along the same lines and the first person who came along turned it over, therefore not only putting themselves at risk but every subsequent person who walked along that track at risk also! B@ll#nds!

That's the sort of thing that would tempt one to put a graphic photo of bullet damage on a skinned carcass on the back of the sign along with the words: "Really? Are you sure you want to do this?"

You wouldn't, though - it might hurt someone's feelings (and that might actually matter - see below).

Aggressive signing may not be the best approach in any case. I visited WMS in Wales a while back and they had what I thought were some excellent signs: very polite, and IIRC encouraging anyone concerned by the shooting to come and talk to those doing it as they would find them to be friendly. It seems this was more effective in keeping them away than any amount of stern warnings!

Obviously, stalking is very different from target shooting, but I wonder if the psychology would still work well enough to reduce the level of interference.

Postscript. I was talking (at length) to someone a few days ago who was totally anti-shooting, and actively opposed to it. I suspect there were deeper roots to this but the most obvious and immediate one was the hostility and harassment they had had from a neighbouring commercial shoot that seems to have been carrying out its business with no regard for "common sense" or the BASC guidelines. The influence of this was clearly poisonous and traumatic, and had left them with an abhorrence of the very idea that someone might be occupying land near them for the purposes of shooting and thereby excluding them from it. Clearly, there are several things wrong with this thinking, but their perspective would almost certainly not have become so extremely polarised if the shoot had gone about its business and its relations with its neighbours in a more responsible and considerate manner in the first place. Moral: it can be hard to be a good neighbour, but it's probably worth the effort.

Last edited:

That is happening with the local country road mending signs. They say road closed a mile away from where the activity is going on, when there are junctions and houses in between. They are often left over the weekend and at night when the roads are perfectly clear...not surprising people start to ignore them.

As far as the shooting in progress signs go... a sign with a place to write "today" and the date and the times might make them more relevant to most perhaps.

Alan

Many of the farms I shoot over have public footpaths and rights of way. I have maintained a personal rule whenever I shoot. I don't shoot towards people that are on footpaths. It's a fairly easy rule. It seems, at least when reading this thread, that deer stalkers are unaware of the possibilities of this policy. If people cack themselves when a .270 lets loose in their general vicinity (pointing away from them, of course) then I can only say "It's the countryside. It's legal. Get over it."

When in my youth in the mod-1970s I spent some time as a guest of the 5th Inniskilling Dragoon Guards I was told by one of the Sergeants that in Regimental HQs of Royal Tank Regiment barracks one would find two mens' lavatories: one signed 'Officers' and the other signed 'Gentlemen'.

Many of the farms I shoot over have public footpaths and rights of way. I have maintained a personal rule whenever I shoot. I don't shoot towards people that are on footpaths. It's a fairly easy rule. It seems, at least when reading this thread, that deer stalkers are unaware of the possibilities of this policy. If people cack themselves when a .270 lets loose in their general vicinity (pointing away from them, of course) then I can only say "It's the countryside. It's legal. Get over it."
Someone tried a similar 'robust' approach on an estate near here, a few years ago. The equestrian turned out to be the daughter of the landowner and heiress to the estate.
The outcome ? Someone was looking for new stalking ground.

better to leave the deer for another day IMHO. Not worth the possible grief

That is happening with the local country road mending signs. They say road closed a mile away from where the activity is going on, when there are junctions and houses in between. They are often left over the weekend and at night when the roads are perfectly clear...not surprising people start to ignore them.

As far as the shooting in progress signs go... a sign with a place to write "today" and the date and the times might make them more relevant to most perhaps.

It`s called `Arse covering`. If you drive around Road Closed sign and you collapse your suspension on some raised iron then it`s your fault as you were pre warned.
However, if you move the signs or barrier which were right across the road and drive through then you have committed a criminal offence and that can end in a prison sentence.
Some roads although technically closed have to remain open for residents to get to their homes not just because someone wants to drive to the shop on the other side of the village.
In your case Alan .. as the works are continually moving it is impossible to keep everyone happy as regards side roads, houses etc but ask a resident if they want a nice new road surface or still drive in the potholes they soon are happy to put up with a few days discomfort.
We have a case going on were a BMW driver moved a road closed sign and barrier, drove through and floored his motor into some logs in the road. One of the tree cutters noticed the chap had a dash cam which the police now have, in effect he filmed his own illegal activity, absolutely no doubt he will go down for it.
That said, even though I work on the roads road works can be your biggest nightmare and I do sympathise with you.

Back