Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bipod

what is everyone's preference when it comes to bipods? I need to get one for my 7x57 but am unsure whether to go for fixed or swivel or what height.

Re: bipod

Harris for preference - pay the extra few quid and go for the swivel head. As for height - depends very much on your type of country and how you intend to use it.

I don't use one.
    nearly all of my stalking is woodland and my shots are from standing. i did have one on my 30-06 but i didn't like it.

It did make for some really accurate zeroing though!

I have a fixed b-square. If I could justify the outlay, I would go for a swivel Harris, but I think it may be slightly too heavy for comfort. I already have a PES mesing with the balance on the rifle!

In all honesty, I find a bipod invaluable for keeping the rifle out of the muck at a gralloch etc, but I reckon I could get away without one if I had to.

Swivel, only option. But what height?
    I'm between the 9-13" and the 12-25", got both
    and depending on where and what I shoot I'd change.

The chinese copies are built stronger than harris but the service of
    harris is very good.
    I just broke a harris, got it replaced. (thanks harris) but it wouldn't have broken if it were welded like the chinese copy that I also have.
    I think harris or copy, one needs a bottle of loctite and they need a bit TLC.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Nairn, Inverness-shire
    I'm with 300wsm, although I have found that it makes for lazy shooting and basic skills are getting lost.

I have a B-square which I prefer to the Harris as it is aluminium and much lighter.

On the hill they are invaluable, but I do find with a Bipod I faff looking for a secure and level place to set up, whereas I use to just use a sling and what ever lump of rock / heather etc that was available.

For most of my stalking now (woodland / farmland) I use a pair of garden canes for standing and sittting shots so I have taken it off the rifle, and the last couple of times on the Hill I wish I had had them with me and next time will take.

Heym SR20

Harris swivel 12 to 27 triple extention, l mainly have it fixed to my rifle unless l know l am going to have a session in the highseat, all of my local stalking is a mix of woodland and farmland so l also stalk with sticks, so all situations are covered, weight is no problem at the moment l donít use a mod, but l am finding more these days that l am taking far more of the sticks, l am in the process at the moment of getting a rifle that will be moded so very probably the bipod will become redundant.

Harris, Swivel, height depends on use. i have a short one for shooting off a pick up roof and a slightly longer one on my stalking rifle. the only problem i have is when carrying the rifle muzzle up on a sling, the bipod can dig in to your shoulder, i dont know if the other models have the same problem.