View Poll Results: How many rounds in practise do you fire per month?

28. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1-5

5 17.86%
  • 5-10

8 28.57%
  • 10-20

4 14.29%
  • 20-30

3 10.71%
  • 30-50

5 17.86%
  • 50-75

3 10.71%

Shooting a centrefire rifle is not a cheap lark, even if you reload. I shoot a fair bit and i think my shooting and my confidence with the rifle has improved greatly. I recently helped out on a cull and took 11 animals over 2 days where my buddy took 1. He is a decent shot but has shot 35 odd rounds over the previous 3 years. i normally do that in a month.

so the question is how many do we all shoot in practise or on the range. i think this can include load developement. but must be through your stalking rifle?

Evening Swampy.
    Just posted my addition to your poll. I shoot mainly Fallow, does and bucks. Taken over 12 months probably only 1-5 per month. You don't state your reason for asking? My response I don't feel is indicative of a level of practice, as I can't count, and you don't include non stalking rounds. I can only head shoot, so my bullet usage is going to be less, as I will only take the 100% shot. So far so good on that score, but to achieve that means I shoot a lot with the .22.
    I aggree totaly that using c.f. for practice is prohibitive, hence the use of the r.f.
    Interesting poll, but for me, not a true reflection of effort put into being accurate.
    Kind regards,

I agree with your points as well, one opinion does not negate the other. i also do a lot of .22 shooting.

it was just for interests sake for the cf usage.

I think that if you are shooting quite a number when stalking balanced by RF use then you are working hard on your own accuracy as well. I think .22rf is an excellant tool for working on accuracy and getting away from snatching the trigger or flinching.

But i feel practise and confidence born of that practise was the difference between me and my buddy over the last couple of weeks. i shoot my rifles quite a lot. "Practise doesn't make perfect....perfect practise makes perfect" (Bob Dwyer)

and the rounds i load are in nickel coated brass.... they look deadly too

Hi Swampy,
    Can I put rounds that missed their intended target down as practice shots?

Ho yeah! I forgot about sighters. Ranging shots we called them in the RN. I like to put at least two warning shots across their bows. Sometimes I shout 'Halt Navy or I fire'! I can't think why I miss so many deer!

how often do you do it.

Hi Swampy,
    I am fortunate as a brother-in-law has a farm just a few miles from where I live. I have access to a safe backstop there and it is en route to my stalking ground. New batches of amunition or a change of rifle or even after firing a round that didn't quite go where it was intended can be checked immediately.
    I belong to a club that holds competitions at Bisley but two daughters getting married within two years has put a strain on finances and I cannot get down there regularly now.

how much practice a month

i am lucky as i keeper on two shoots and have access to probably another 6000 acres all within 3 miles of my home . I tend to load 200 rounds at a time for each caliber 222 243 270 308 i find once zeroed i very rarely have to make any adjustment to my zero . If i was going say to scotland for a week i would check them all before going .but other wise unless. its a fall or a knock i dont bother and after 30years have not had a problem with this method i dont say its best practice but it suits me

From April to October I'm down the range nearly every week shooting on the running moose range. Its not hard to go through 50 round a session.
    i shoot the .22 on the running roe boar range quite a lot as well
    I buy Sellier & Bellot competition .308 fmj at 16p a bang.Very good and accurate practice ammo.