What else ?

qwerty2008

Guys
I have just reloaded and shot my first ammo - 9.3x62, Nosler AB 250gr, N140, 20" barrel
I followed the book etc and started low (51gr) and worked up, but ran out of linear velocity gains at 55gr (2310fps) v's 57max (2355fps). The grouping and velocity variation also declined badly after 55gr - no sign of pressure at 57gr.
Was hoping to get to 2450fps ?
Any suggestions ?
Thanks
GP

You're done unless you switch powders. As you noticed, you ran out of any real velocity gain after 55 grains so it's time to look for a different fuel. I am curious though: If MAX charge listed at 2355 fps, why would you hope for 2450?? What rifle are you shooting??~Muir

PS later that evening: I took a look at Hodgdon's site just for yucks, and found that only one powder -H4895- will deliver that speed with a 250 grain bullet in the 9,3x62; and that by only 30 fps. This includes IMR powders and Winchester Powders. You might be chasing the unachievable. I have a great deal of interest in the 9.3's as I own a 9.3x57 and believe it to be not too far behind the 62mm version factory loads in a modern rifle. The 9.3 x62 and X57 are old cartridges that perhaps, like the 6,5x55 and other old cartridges, could be boosted by modern powders and rifles. The H4895 load was, however, at 48.5K pressures already.

Last edited:
Guys
Many thanks for your replies
What I meant re 2355fps at MAX was that was the max velocity I was getting over the chrony at MAX (57gr) load
The rifle is a new Mannlicher Pro H Mountain 20" barrel
Looks like I will just have to stick at 55gr/2300fps and maybe look to try a different powder and lighter bullets in the future
Is there anything significant to try/gain re bullet seating depth or amount of crimp ?
GP

Guys
Many thanks for your replies
What I meant re 2355fps at MAX was that was the max velocity I was getting over the chrony at MAX (57gr) load
The rifle is a new Mannlicher Pro H Mountain 20" barrel
Looks like I will just have to stick at 55gr/2300fps and maybe look to try a different powder and lighter bullets in the future
Is there anything significant to try/gain re bullet seating depth or amount of crimp ?
GP

It's hard to say. Milking an additional 100 fps from crimp and seating depth (Unless carried to extremes) might be tough but you can try. A lighter bullet would be more sensible. You might want to try H4895 if you can find some: great powder and it will put you in the neighborhood you're looking for.

Nice rifle choice, BTW.~Muir

Qwerty,

don't know where you are but i'm in shropshire. i'm sure i've got some 4895 upstairs hidden away. if you are nearby you can have it to try some loads with (i think there is about 1/4 of a tub.)

Ezzy

I have found that experimenting with the COL has given faster results than varying charges (in terms of accuracy); has anyone else found this?
Method has been to use the mag length as a useable max and the Min Col as the lower end...

I am reloading with 250gr Nosler AB's, they have a crimp groove round them, which dictates COL ? - do I need to seat them to the depth of this groove or can it be ignored ? Loads of space in the mag. My reloaded rounds are 81.9mm COL and I think max would be 83.6mm

I have found that experimenting with the COL has given faster results than varying charges (in terms of accuracy); has anyone else found this?
Method has been to use the mag length as a useable max and the Min Col as the lower end...

Yes I have: exactly the way you do it, too. It's a pretty accepted practice on this side of the pond. Good work!~Muir

I am reloading with 250gr Nosler AB's, they have a crimp groove round them, which dictates COL ? - do I need to seat them to the depth of this groove or can it be ignored ? Loads of space in the mag. My reloaded rounds are 81.9mm COL and I think max would be 83.6mm

The channelure is often more a structural facet of the bullet than a crimping groove. They can be ignored with regard to seating depth unless it's found that a crimp is needed and you feel the need to put it to use and indeed, on bullets intended for the 9.3x62 it might well serve a purpose. I was somewhat surprised to find that the PRVI 286 grain bullets I ordered for my 9,3x57 have two grooves which correspond to the seating depth of either the 9,3x62 or the 9,3x57 depending on which cartridge you are using. In this instance, you can understand why I'm going to try that depth first.~Muir

PS: ON second look, the lower groove on the PRVI bullet is a chanelure, the upper is what appears to be a crimping groove. The lower groove does match up nicely with shoulder to case-mouth distance for the 9,3x57 so I'll be using it as a starting point. My 7 pound 3 oz Husqvarna might warrant a crimp.

Last edited:
Is that the max for the mag or to the lands?

Back