Rifle sling

gigidygigidy

I'm looking to buy a rifle sling to hold the rifle along my back, like a hiking bag would be.
The terrain I have to stalk in is marsh, rough bog, trees, fences, hedge rows, streams and drainage ditches to cross and lots of them.
I have shot these lands with a shotgun in hand but this is my first season stalking so I expect a lot of walking. I want the quietist easiest and safest way to get round while stalking, and I think gun on my back with only my shooting sticks in hand would be best.
Does anyone do this or can anyone recommend a good sling for me.
Cheers.

I think I'll have to make me a chest strap as in the video, looks a good idea. Should be able to make one with loop both ends to fit existing sling.

I started with a niggeloh but still fond the rifle moved about too much. I adapted another standard sling into a Z-Aim style string and it is way better than the Niggeloh so sold it and bought an actual Z-Aim to go with the home made version. Holds the rifle much more securely and easier to deploy too.

This is exactly what I did too I bought the Z Aim sling to study its design, I was very impressed with the function of the sling but was not very impressed with the fragile build of it. I had an excellent and very strong TAB Gear sling, I purchased some green webbing and stainless D rings and had my local cobbler stitch it together for me. Hey presto it works a treat and is as strong as they come.

The people who do Biathlon in the Winter Olympics use a sling that might suit your requirements.

From my observations the issue with biathlon slings is when they are used with sling points under the forend and butt stock. I use one on a couple of rifles with flush cups mounted on the side of the forend and butt stock.

I have found a product made by Noveske that allows the fitting of flush cups to hollow stocks and on light weight forends. I will be using this on my Blaser stock.

How well do the Niggeloh work with rucksacks?

If you want to carry a rifle & a rucksack then you need to try the Vorn rucksack.

I have the Niggeloh rucksack-sling too but find it's best use is on a Brady slip (or similar) carried carried across your back with the straps over both shoulders. This works with a lightly filled roe-sack too and it's easy to swing the rifle off as there's a quick-release on the Niggeloh.

I have used the Z Aim but found that the bipod dug into my shoulder so I've reverted to a neoprene sling mounted upside down which allows me to carry the rifle muzzle down.

Nico

The Z Aim will operate just fine with muzzle down carry as well. Everyone is slightly different in build etc and the important thing is that the individual is confident/ comfy with their choice. But in all honesty, we've only ever had one sling sent back because of a bipod dig-in issue. It actually arrived whilst I was talking to the guy on the phone and in conversation mentioned the rear attachment point. There was a brief silence, then 'hang on', rattle of cabinet door, '@ugger me, I'd never noticed that'! He started to aplogise for wasting and I stopped him to confirm customer first and I'd handed the sling back to the postman and it'd be back with him in the morning.

There are lots of sling options and whilst we like the Z Aim a great deal ( hence why we sell it ), individual choice is very important and more power to that.

This is exactly what I did too I bought the Z Aim sling to study its design, I was very impressed with the function of the sling but was not very impressed with the fragile build of it. I had an excellent and very strong TAB Gear sling, I purchased some green webbing and stainless D rings and had my local cobbler stitch it together for me. Hey presto it works a treat and is as strong as they come.

That's what I shall do, but as we do industrial sewing I'll do it myself :thumb:

Back